Still trying to get to grips with Protune

First impressions.

- Awesome flying and stability!
- I liked the color grading.
- Not to sure what you are trying to show us, but it did keep me interested.
- The video wasn't very sharp even at 720 (highest).
- We see you in the video which distracts the viewer (me).

If this is your first editing experience than this is extremely good. Great work.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Hi Markab

Did you apply any sharpening? It certainly does lack sharpness although I suppose Youtube could be responsible for some of it.

I did at the default of 2.5, what values are you using in general?

To be honest I am trying to work out if there is an issue with my go pro, any thing mid distance and on seems very soft. For example the reflection in the water seems very sharp.

Consider defaults as a starting point only. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't all depends on subject matter and what 'You' want the video to look like.

Yep... Your vidoe needs sharpening.

I put this together following a thread 'Shrimpfarmer' started a little while ago. Personally, I think Shrimpy now turns in some of the best looking vidoe to be seen on this site!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH8k2ZNZgv4

markab said:
Shrimpfarmer said:
Hi Markab

Did you apply any sharpening? It certainly does lack sharpness although I suppose Youtube could be responsible for some of it.

I did at the default of 2.5, what values are you using in general?

To be honest I am trying to work out if there is an issue with my go pro, any thing mid distance and on seems very soft. For example the reflection in the water seems very sharp.

There is a known problem regarding the lens focus in Gopro Black + cameras in some models.
I did the refocus mod in my own.
That doesn't mean your camera has the problem . In protune mode you need a lot of sharpenning as the the raw images are very soft. However in the recent Gopro firmware update the default sharpness has changed from low to medium.

Fair Game said:
Consider defaults as a starting point only. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't all depends on subject matter and what 'You' want the video to look like.

Yep... Your vidoe needs sharpening.

I put this together following a thread 'Shrimpfarmer' started a little while ago. Personally, I think Shrimpy now turns in some of the best looking vidoe to be seen on this site!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH8k2ZNZgv4

Thanks, yes I watched this video very helpful, I will experiment with some more sharpening.

I gave up on the Protune app. Seemed buggy and frustrating to me, but that could be me. Had no better luck with the premium (trial version).

I'm currently shooting 2.7k/30fps, protune ON, sharpen LOW, white balance AUTO. Have been shooting fov WIDE but may switch to medium (I think there's a medium) when I get the 3d gimbal.

In Premiere Pro, I will apply warp stabilizer if needed and distortion correction in After Effects, then,
Unsharp mask, 80%, 2.5 radius
Three way color corrector for saturation mostly,
LUT buddy with the Cineform LUT,
Brightness and contrast.

Lift mids and shadows as necessary.

I'm not a colorist. This is a serious profession and you can get off on a ditch easily if you don't know what you're doing. I've gotten to this workflow by trial and error mostly, and asking people who are smarter than me.

Here's a short sequence I put together last week, in no particular order just slammed together. Have just entered this hobby and love it. I did a lot of shooting prior to this with large camera rigs on Tyler mounts mostly but other rigs as well. The same principles apply really. But you can always walk away from the crash.

http://vimeo.com/91606359

The first shot was pretty drab but the rest were done during golden hour. Stabilized one shot.. I think the first. All shot with the above settings.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl