State park rules

Reaction score
Im fairly new to the Drone community,was wondering what are the rules for state camp grounds on flying drones? Im at a state park in the Adirondacks in ny and the girl at the registration desk only said she thought in her training they said it was a privacy issue and wasn't allowed, i abliged and said no problem, I was just curious because it seems most of these people don't bother to educate themselves on drones what most people use them for

In Texas it's left up to the park managers. I was able to obtain permission to fly at the Battleship Texas and San Jacinto monument park, but not a park in west Texas. A nice letter or email to the park manager is what works/doesn't work here

The best thing to do is to contact the parks department directly and ask them. I did that where I live. It took a few days to get a response (and we're heading into a weekend today), but I printed the email as proof of their policy and keep it with me if I fly in a state park.

Contact New York's parks department here: Contact Us - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Also, keep in mind, buzzing around a campground where people are looking for peace and quiet, isn't a great way to make friends. You're probably better off flying in more remote areas where the scenery is better anyway.

Reactions: N017RW
Don't always go by someone at a registration desk. Check the FAQs or rules of the park to get a definite answer
I've flown in parks but either go to a remote area or just ask the neighbors if they mind especially if they have pets
Never had a problem. Actually the opposite. Most people are curious and want to see the video and say they want to get a drone.
it's the uneducated drone spying haters that are the problem

Reactions: nintago
I find it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission sometimes.

All great replies, I appreciate all the input, it's been hit and miss so far but i agree with contacting the park manager for a more detailed answer, and good idea on asking your comp mates if they mind, there the ones who will file a complaint if they do mind

Was in Florida and called State Parks and asked if I could fly my radio controlled aircraft in FL State Parks. She said she would have to check, but she was sure drones can't be flown. I said it was a drone...she immediately changed her tone like I was a terrorist and told me very firmly not to fly a drone in their parks!
Tried flying on county road by condo and condo management ran out and said I could not fly for privacy reasons. 100 yards from the condos....they watch too many Hollywood movies.
Never did find a decent place to fly.

I have flown my P3P, P4P and Mavic in 2 different state park in Michigan and never heard a word. I always fly away from people and vehicles. I have been in close proximity to park rangers while flying and never have anyone tell me it is not legal. There are no rules that I have found that are specific to the state parks that I have visited in Michigan.

I have flown my P3P, P4P and Mavic in 2 different state park in Michigan and never heard a word. I always fly away from people and vehicles. I have been in close proximity to park rangers while flying and never have anyone tell me it is not legal. There are no rules that I have found that are specific to the state parks that I have visited in Michigan.

I have a letter straight from a lead worker at Michigan state parks.You CAN fly drones in Michigan state parks as long as you are not a nuisance..If you are a nuisance they have work around laws. not federal parks

It’s illegal from my understanding but parks are huge get out away from everyone and do your thing.

Consider this. A campground where you are camping does not allow flying drones in their campground, Next to the campground, there is a city park. The two are separated by numerous tall trees. So, you walk to the city park and fly your quad over the campground. You are not taking off or landing from the campground, just flying above it. The airspace above does not belong to the campground. What are the possible consequences, if any?

Reactions: Shoemaker
I have a letter straight from a lead worker at Michigan state parks.You CAN fly drones in Michigan state parks as long as you are not a nuisance..If you are a nuisance they have work around laws. not federal parks

Hi, I'm about to get a Mavic Air and live in Michigan. Is there a simple document that states that it's legal to fly in Michigan State parks? This would be nice to present to a park ranger if a problem arises. Thanks, Ray

Hi, I'm about to get a Mavic Air and live in Michigan. Is there a simple document that states that it's legal to fly in Michigan State parks? This would be nice to present to a park ranger if a problem arises. Thanks, Ray

Both the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and the National Park Service have information on the use and levels of restrictions where Michigan’s State Parks are concerned.

If you are confronted by a Park Ranger your best recourse is to abide by their demands or face being ejected from the park and cited for trespassing. It's a losing battle (usually) even if you're right.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl