Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

1. craigsdal

Anybody have any thoughts on flying in Speed Mode in high winds that the bird could flip over and crash?

2. Jack Mackinnon

Not possible for the bird to flip in high winds. I say go ahead if you can handle not using obstacle avoidance.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

3. Ibmftw

No chance unless we are talking about hurricanes and tornados.

4. John Locke

Define "high winds" so we know what you're talking about. I've never heard of any phantom flipping over in wind.

#4 John Locke, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  5. Erised

I flew with my P4 in winds gusting 30mph. Took off in a sheltered area and took her out to see how the bird would fly. I was impressed how hard it worked to remain in position, it did a good job. The one thing my bird did do was have difficulty maintaining a constant altitude. Yoyo big time. I think that the air velocity around the barometer sensors may be changing the air pressure enough to screw up the readings. I tested this condition on several occasions with the same yoyo results.

6. John Locke

Yeah, I've nick-named my P4 "YOYO MA". It should be only about an 8' up and down, and it should be only one cycle of up and down after each time you stop. Is that what you're seeing?

I agree that something must be going on with the barometer. I believe the downward draft from the props are creating a vacuum vortex at the vents on the bottom of the motor arms, which play havoc with the internal barometer, just enough to confuse things, hence the yoyo.

#6 John Locke, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    Santiego likes this.
  7. Romenfree

Maybe DJI could develop a clip on air duct to solve the problem, or maybe someone on here could come up with something, 3D printer maybe

Three "maybe's" in the one sentence, maybe I should look at my grammar?