Sparkles in my video

Reaction score
Hi All
I noticed an anomaly in my video while flying around the pond. There are white sparkles (pixels?) within the dark shadows. They are very noticeable in this video link.
Here are the particulars: P3A, 1080p@30fps, settings are Automatic, using an ND4 filter. I ran it the day before with just the UV filter and it was the same.
I have seen this on various occasions, but it seemed really noticeable in this video. You will see from the shadow positions that the sparkles exist at various camera angles relative to the sun. I am aware of a bit of giggle in the beginning.
BTW: I just ordered an ND 16 and a CP filter for comparison. Couple of days till I can try them.
I'll bet someone knows exactly what is happening.

It also looks to me like its the sun's reflection in the water/ice. I do however also see little sparkles in the shadows of the houses that I wouldn't expect to see.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem like reflections. They are blinking single pixel flashes appearing in non-reflective areas.
That's a tough call, I don't think it's reflection, especially in the lower right corner on the house. I would have to say it needs work. I watched it in 1080 and was constant, even from different angles. Could it be reflection? No, IMO, because they were clear horizontal lines. Looks like a job or question for hunch

edit > I took this pic because it could be reflection from the lens but it's even doing it at the end of the pool but the sun angle that you were shooting at was straight on so. Reflection, yea but caused by the time of day and location of sun on the ice. When you were shooting away from the sun at the housing complex, it was clean.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
It also looks to me like its the sun's reflection in the water/ice. I do however see little sparkles in the shadows of the houses on the right that I wouldn't expect to see.
Yes, it's the single white flashing pixels in the shadows that I'm wondering about. If there were no shadow, you would see nothing reflective in those spots. Could it be called noise?

Yes, it's the single white flashing pixels in the shadows that I'm wondering about. If there were no shadow, you would see nothing reflective in those spots. Could it be called noise?
I watched it in 1/4 speed and now I see the flashes in areas other than the shadows. They are much more pronounced in the shadows however. I suppose it could be some sort of noise or sensor problem. I've never seen anything similar, so I'll have to defer to someone with more video experience.

Last edited:
This isn't reflections. It appears to be a camera sensor issue. I have a similar issue... but reversed. Speckles in the dark areas in lower light conditions. Different... but kinda the same. My sensor was bad or went bad. I switch out the camera with another one from a wrecked P3 and the issue was fixed. So for me it was the sensor after all.
DJI_0296.jpg

Sorry I can't be of more help.

This isn't reflections. It appears to be a camera sensor issue. I have a similar issue... but reversed. Speckles in the dark areas in lower light conditions. Different... but kinda the same. My sensor was bad or went bad. I switch out the camera with another one from a wrecked P3 and the issue was fixed. So for me it was the sensor after all.View attachment 70141

Sorry I can't be of more help.
I have noticed this happening to my videos for sometime now and and figured it was just under certain conditions. But it was really noticeable this time. I got an idea from @Oso who said he slowed it down to see the dots. I used Pinnacle to run it frame by frame and captured adjacent frames for comparison.
Results were clear that the dots are pure white and last only a single frame. See below. This begs the question of are they everywhere but visible only in black areas?
I was going to add arrows to the dots, but I think you will be able to spot (no pun) them. BTW: don't look in the pond - those are geese :)
New Movie (128).Movie_Snapshot.jpg

New Movie (128) (2).Movie_Snapshot.jpg

New Movie (128) (3).Movie_Snapshot.jpg

I went frame by frame also and you can clearly see the white spot in the sun on the side walk circled in the picture, along with on the grass out of the shadows and that was maybe 60°s right of when it first appeared. Strange problem :)

I went frame by frame also and you can clearly see the white spot in the sun on the side walk circled in the picture, along with on the grass out of the shadows and that was maybe 60°s right of when it first appeared. Strange problem :)

Running tests today
#1: I covered the lens with a black lens cloth and ran videos at various exposures.
No sparkles. So light must be present to trigger the flashes.

Last edited:
Here's a couple more -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HB6GP04/ref=dp_cerb_2

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Profe...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZN0TGK46WAF6XG1NC880

I don't know if it will fix it for sure but it's good place to start money-wise before changing out the camera or sending it in. I've had reflection spots but never like that and I use the rainbowers hood all the time usually with an ND16 and GR4 stacked. I'm thinking it might just be from the initial intensity of the reflection off of the pond but time will tell :)

I have had similar spots, but so many more, on my HD stills images. I had cleaned the outside of the filter, but I suspect that there could have been dust inside. Or on the lens surface itself. It has been dull and miserable here since I cleaned them so I have not had time to test. It ws tedious spotting them all out in Photoshop.
Im am hoping it's dust. My Phantom 3P is only a couple of months old and works fine otherwise. (I should also say it's a refurbished unit). The spots seem to be in the same place on each image which suggested to me that it was dust on the lens as dust on the sensor would give dark marks.

Here's a couple more -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HB6GP04/ref=dp_cerb_2

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Profe...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZN0TGK46WAF6XG1NC880

I don't know if it will fix it for sure but it's good place to start money-wise before changing out the camera or sending it in. I've had reflection spots but never like that and I use the rainbowers hood all the time usually with an ND16 and GR4 stacked. I'm thinking it might just be from the initial intensity of the reflection off of the pond but time will tell :)
Thanks for the ideas.
I read the reviews on various lens hoods and decided they aren't a good idea for the P3. People complain they overload the gimbal servos, especially in the wind or with speed. I'm also concerned it would interfere with my gimbal saver strut on the landing gear. I like the concept of a lens hood however - just not for the P3.
I ordered a ND 16 and a Polarizer filter and will let you know if they help.

I have had similar spots, but so many more, on my HD stills images. I had cleaned the outside of the filter, but I suspect that there could have been dust inside. Or on the lens surface itself. It has been dull and miserable here since I cleaned them so I have not had time to test. It ws tedious spotting them all out in Photoshop.
Im am hoping it's dust. My Phantom 3P is only a couple of months old and works fine otherwise. (I should also say it's a refurbished unit). The spots seem to be in the same place on each image which suggested to me that it was dust on the lens as dust on the sensor would give dark marks.

My problem may be different than yours. I carefully cleaned the ND4 filter before installing and running this flight. I did it because I noticed the same "sparkles" previously with the OE UV lens. Guaranteed - not dust. Also, my stills are captured from adjacent frames of video. The flashes/spots are only 1 frame in duration and appear randomly. (like Christmas lights)
I do hope your problem is solved with a lens cloth. I may have to learn to live with mine.:(

My camera stopped sending an image altogether the other day. Since the drone and gimbal worked normally, I decided to replace the flexible flat ribbon cable to the camera (Dji part #49). I replaced it tonight. It's not really hard, but you will want to watch the Youtube video a few times and have it handy. It's a 3 dimensional cable and can be a little convoluted. Since it uses adhesive in places there is no margin for error. Still, it's not hard.
Anyway that fixed it. Flight test tomorrow. I'm hoping it will also cure the sparkles I've been seeing lately in the shadowed areas of my videos too.
If anyone else has the same problem with their P3 advanced, it's Dji part #49 available from Amazon or Dji.
Thought I was going to have to get a new Mavic. Guess there are a few more miles left in my P3A. :)

Reactions: Oso
Flight test today. All is well - and no more "sparkles!" The white single frame dots (sparkles) were just the first signs of the whole image going out.
For those with a similar problem and unsure whether to buy a new camera ribbon cable, it is possible that merely reseating the connectors might do it.
You will still need to remove the camera back plate and the bottom gimbal module cover to reach the 5 connectors. Watch the video to see which ones pull out and which have locking bars. Tools needed are #00 philips and #6 Torx. Needle nose or tweezers are helpful. Takes about an hour - and well worth it!

Flight test today. All is well - and no more "sparkles!" The white single frame dots (sparkles) were just the first signs of the whole image going out.
For those with a similar problem and unsure whether to buy a new camera ribbon cable, it is possible that merely reseating the connectors might do it.
You will still need to remove the camera back plate and the bottom gimbal module cover to reach the 5 connectors. Watch the video to see which ones pull out and which have locking bars. Tools needed are #00 philips and #6 Torx. Needle nose or tweezers are helpful. Takes about an hour - and well worth it!
Great Job on the fix :)

Here is the video I took today. Look Ma - no sparkles.
Please note, I'm not referring to reflection from the pond or the geese. The earlier videos contained white spots in random shadowy areas (not the pond) and each lasting only a single frame. They were early signs of the camera ribbon cable going bad. It finally lost image altogether. Problem now fixed :)

Reactions: Reed L

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl