Southwest Airlines & Phantoms

Reaction score
Does anyone have real experience taking a Pelican case & Phantom w/ LIPOs on a Southwest flight. I am going from OAK to Seattle with my quad at end of Sept. Thank you

I have successfully flown Southwest with a Pelican case (checked) with my Phantom. However the batteries were with me in my carry-on. I think the issue is with TSA, not so much with Southwest.

I just flew Southwest last week from Denver to Dayton with my Phantom Vision+ and 5 batteries in a backpack no problem. I just opened the backpack up, let it ride through the scanner... They didn't make me pull out anything or even question it... Both ways... no issues...

Reactions: Darrell3
I've flown internationally and domestically with the phantom in a hard case, pelikan-case type. No issues at all, domestically.

If they ask what it is, just say "a toy/hobby helicopter".

I've flown multiple times (not Southwest but still) with my Phantom in a backpack and am yet to even be swabbed. It's a toy, the batteries should be legal as long as they aren't installed

Flown several times with Southwest and others with no issues when I carry on. TSA has almost always pulled it off the belt and run an explosive trace test on it though, so just be prepared for the extra couple of minutes that takes. They don't take it out though, just open the lid and swab down various things. It usually generates a couple questions out of curiosity.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing