Sooooo..... Whose returning their P4?

I already have a P3 and love it. I've done over 300 flights and 400 km so far with no problem. I've done 5 km ( 3 mi) distances with perfect reception. It's a faboulus machine.
I bought a P4 from Apple Store, this week, but soon returned it. Altough I love the obstacle detection which seems to work great and the longer lasting battery, there is a dangerous problem with hovering...the drone will drop 10-15 feet for no reason.
Also I was disappointed with the active tracking and here again the drone loses altitude sometimes in this mode.
I'm sure DJI will solve these irregularities and then I will get another P4 at that time.

Some of you guys are ridiculous. If you turn off all sensors and GPS and do a straight hover in perfect conditions you might get close to 28 min. I have had 20 minute flights with plenty of battery to spare. And range being bad? You shouldn't be flying so **** far away anyways. It's totally irresponsible and it's idiots like you that give drones a bad name.

As far as I'm concerned sell your phantoms. It's less idiots out there giving responsible pilots a bad name

Just saying

I already have a P3 and love it. I've done over 300 flights and 400 km so far with no problem. I've done 5 km ( 3 mi) distances with perfect reception. It's a faboulus machine.
I bought a P4 from Apple Store, this week, but soon returned it. Altough I love the obstacle detection which seems to work great and the longer lasting battery, there is a dangerous problem with hovering...the drone will drop 10-15 feet for no reason.
Also I was disappointed with the active tracking and here again the drone loses altitude sometimes in this mode.
I'm sure DJI will solve these irregularities and then I will get another P4 at that time.

Pretty sure the next firmware will address a problem or two hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Isn't anyone concerned about the P3 flyaways or was that fixed? That's really the big plus for the P4.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
P3's are flying away???

I went here today to consider if i should upgrade to P4 or not.
I really dont have an answer!
Some say yes, some say no!

But considering these two considerations the reasonable choice is, No!
At least for now!
P3 will continue to fly.
Thank you all!

Some of you guys are ridiculous. If you turn off all sensors and GPS and do a straight hover in perfect conditions you might get close to 28 min. I have had 20 minute flights with plenty of battery to spare. And range being bad? You shouldn't be flying so **** far away anyways. It's totally irresponsible and it's idiots like you that give drones a bad name.

As far as I'm concerned sell your phantoms. It's less idiots out there giving responsible pilots a bad name

Just saying

I used to feel the same way about people posting they fly miles away, and agree some are irresponsible and do crazy stupid things. However, that is only some and not everyone. As I started using Litchi my confidence got boosted and I can use waypoints to fly further than I ever have before. I fly in large parks, over the ocean or mountain areas where I won't have issues or if I crash won't destroy a building, car or worse yet hit a person. I try very hard to be responsible and care for the safety of others.
I usually wake at 4am and drive to the location I want to fly at. This way, there are no people around.
Using Litchi I been able to fly over the ocean to small islands that are 1 or 2 miles away that normally I would be scared of flying to manually. I have used it to fly 5 miles away over a volcano and 3 miles away to follow a river to a waterfall I could not get to.

No one can be 100% safe when flying a drone, anything can happen at any time rather you are flying out far or just zooming around close. But I try my very best to insure my Phantom is fully functional with everything working and inspect the areas I plan to fly before launching and make sure there are no people or buildings I can crash into.

So we are not all idiots, and flying out far can be much fun "a bit scary at first" but just be safe.

Imo the point is simple, for those who have p2/p1/yuneec/solo, P4 is a great machine and who purchase will be satisfied. For those who owns a p3/I1 P4 imo don't worth the money.
Yup. We've been spoiled rotten! :D
The bar was set pretty high by the P3/I1, and front facing CAS is not needed if you are still flying your P3/I1, as you have already learned to use FPV to avoid flying into stuff! Since the P4 can't natively deliver on the promised range or the longer battery life, our P3 mods still run circles around the P4 for long range flying, with basically the same camera.

Reactions: StevenQX
Since when are dji flight times accurate? Since day one they have overestimated flight times. They should come up with two rating like car manufacturers. One for ideal conditions /drop from the sky 28 min rating and the other under normal flying conditions until the battery drains to recommended landing at 30% ( which will probably be 16-18 minutes) . As far as range the light ridge was originally rated at 1.2 miles and only recently have they bumped it up to 3.1 mile because under IDEAL conditions it can reach that range. I've had my p3 advance out to 2.5 miles and will eventually test the p4 range after I have broken in the battery...
You can test that P4 battery today. It's the best it will ever be, when brand new. There is no "breaking in" process for DJI batteries. Their battery times only decline with each successive use. They are no different than the P3 batteries.

Very true on your first point, the second - not so much... at least not in my experience.
It is apparent that the P4 battery flight times vary enormously from one user to the next. However, no one has yet reported 28 minutes. My three P4 flights were 16 minutes, 15 minutes, and finally 12 minutes! To get 12 minutes flying in all ATTI mode, I started at 97% and landed at 7%! I sent it back, too!

Reactions: aenbacka
I used to feel the same way about people posting they fly miles away, and agree some are irresponsible and do crazy stupid things. However, that is only some and not everyone. As I started using Litchi my confidence got boosted and I can use waypoints to fly further than I ever have before. I fly in large parks, over the ocean or mountain areas where I won't have issues or if I crash won't destroy a building, car or worse yet hit a person. I try very hard to be responsible and care for the safety of others.
I usually wake at 4am and drive to the location I want to fly at. This way, there are no people around.
Using Litchi I been able to fly over the ocean to small islands that are 1 or 2 miles away that normally I would be scared of flying to manually. I have used it to fly 5 miles away over a volcano and 3 miles away to follow a river to a waterfall I could not get to.

No one can be 100% safe when flying a drone, anything can happen at any time rather you are flying out far or just zooming around close. But I try my very best to insure my Phantom is fully functional with everything working and inspect the areas I plan to fly before launching and make sure there are no people or buildings I can crash into.

So we are not all idiots, and flying out far can be much fun "a bit scary at first" but just be safe.
Yeah, at least the fish won't sue, when Blackhawk down happens over water! :cool:

It is apparent that the P4 battery flight times vary enormously from one user to the next. However, no one has yet reported 28 minutes. My three P4 flights were 16 minutes, 15 minutes, and finally 12 minutes! To get 12 minutes flying in all ATTI mode, I started at 97% and landed at 7%! I sent it back, too!

i thought either the verge or romeo durscher review stated they got 30 minutes in some conditions in real world use

Just saying

Fortunately your opinions are not facts. There are plenty of safe, responsible reasons for wanting to fly several km's away. I expect the kind of ignorant, judgemental crap you posted from someone unfamiliar with drones - but from someone that owns one and hopefully flies responsibly themselves, I expected better.

Drones capable of longer range trips also perform better at shorter ranges. Fewer signal dropouts, better penetration through trees or local radio interference.

If someone flies responsibly, they'll do so whether they're 300ft away or 5 miles away - and if someone is not safe and responsible, staying closer to the remote control does not inherently provide more safety. With the battery life we get, people aren't going to fly 5 miles out unless they have a pretty good reason for doing so since they'll have to pretty much turn around and come right back anyhow.

I for one am not interested in your opinions - especially with the name calling and the arrogant, "holier than thou" way in which you express yourself. The way you express yourself makes you sound like a real jerk. The "stuff" you choose to express makes you sound ignorant and narrow-minded

Just sayin'

i thought either the verge or romeo durscher review stated they got 30 minutes in some conditions in real world use
May be, but not a single PhantomPilots member has been able to demonstrate 28 minutes, that I have seen.

Since the batteries apparently seem to vary so much in actual mAh, maybe they were given a "boosted" mAh battery for testing, while the rest of us got the duds!

Flight times are obviously not what was advertised but I don't understand the people that are complaining about distance, can you really have line of sight at 3 miles?

Fortunately your opinions are not facts. There are plenty of safe, responsible reasons for wanting to fly several km's away. I expect the kind of ignorant, judgemental crap you posted from someone unfamiliar with drones - but from someone that owns one and hopefully flies responsibly themselves, I expected better.

Drones capable of longer range trips also perform better at shorter ranges. Fewer signal dropouts, better penetration through trees or local radio interference.

If someone flies responsibly, they'll do so whether they're 300ft away or 5 miles away - and if someone is not safe and responsible, staying closer to the remote control does not inherently provide more safety. With the battery life we get, people aren't going to fly 5 miles out unless they have a pretty good reason for doing so since they'll have to pretty much turn around and come right back anyhow.

I for one am not interested in your opinions - especially with the name calling and the arrogant, "holier than thou" way in which you express yourself. The way you express yourself makes you sound like a real jerk. The "stuff" you choose to express makes you sound ignorant and narrow-minded

Just sayin'
Can you see a drone 5 miles away? Line of sight is part of the rules for a reason....
If you had visual drop out on your iPad could you tell which way you were flying?
Grow up and stop being a person who will kill the hobby!!
Oh....What are the safe and responsible reasons for flying many KMs away? Im sure the FAA and CAA would like to know :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hammer
I'm loving mine and have had no issues. Not getting 28min but who cares. It's like the fuel economy on a car. I got 20min the other day and that was in a little wind.

Not funny o_O
I'm a vegetarian (actually almost vegan) but you're gonna get all high and mighty on me because I made some cows run?

Lol, go visit a slaughter house before your next T-Bone before you go throwing stones at me. You probably don't know many more animal rights activists than I.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT