Someone shot my camera what do I do?

A year ago there was a Belgian farmer who shot a police drone out of the air. The dropped device, which cost more than 30,000 euros, belonged to a pilot project that was set up by the Belgian police. Through this pilot project, the police could use unmanned mini helicopters to control from the sky.

The farmer claimed that he shoot a duck. :D

Reactions: joeyjan19 and beb
Sorry, but that is one of the things that a shotgun is used for, shooting things in the air and it is very effective. A 12 gauge shotgun at 100-200 feet would not only destroy the camera but the drone body and props would be distroyed. A30 inch circle at 30 yards from a 12 gauge shotgun with 1and 1/8 ounce of number 6 shot with modified choke will have at least 250 pellet holes in it. This WHOLE story reeks of FAKE NEWS, it didn't happen. Go out and fly your drone let this stupid story die.

Read my whole post, I saved shotguns for the second paragraph. I probably wasn't clear enough in my first paragraph that I was specifically saying that shooting a hovering drone with a pistol or rifle would be extremely difficult.

Thabks for the info on pattern spread. The only shotguns I shoot are shorty home defense style stuff (which is usually all open choke) and at 300 ft (100 yards) birdshot is a pretty useless pattern and has almost no energy. I'm not sure what weight typical bulk "birdshot" is (number 8 maybe?). Does a choke really make that big a difference that it would have dangerous energy levels at that distance? Or is #6 that much bigger?

Edit: nm, I see your distance quote is 30 yards. That's only 90ft. I'd say his photo was further then that, maybe 100-150ft up and another 300ft away, but I'm guessing based on seeing it on a phone.

Reactions: RICK HALBUR
A year ago there was a Belgian farmer who shot a police drone out of the air. The dropped device, which cost more than 30,000 euros, belonged to a pilot project that was set up by the Belgian police. Through this pilot project, the police could use unmanned mini helicopters to control from the sky.

The farmer claimed that he shoot a duck. :D

Isn't the phantom available with a flir camera? Honestly the utility of a few officers having a flying thermal camera can't be overstated imo. Considering the level of expertise needed to fly it and the cost comparison to a manned aircraft it's flat amazing the capability that can be had for the cost now.

I'd go over all the laws and such, make sure you wernt in violation of anything. If you were in the right, then I'd call the cops and go over there WITH a cop. OR...if you dont want confrontation, fix the camera (I'd get a used camera online that is good for parts only), then try flying again and see if the guy comes out again. If he does, land quickly then walk over there and see if HE confronts YOU. Recorder running, see if he admits shooting your other one. There's lots of ways to go about this. The important thing is dont make it so YOUR in the wrong in any way. Chances are you could land this guy in small claims court. Or suck it up, but if he did wrong, I'd have a hard time not trying to get some $$ out of him.

I had a neighbor from a couple streets away come to my house and said I was scaring his family. What I was doing was looking for a lost drone WITH another drone and I was painting the tops of the trees in high resolution. I didnt know how much I was affecting his family though, so I took heed. It was a peaceful resolution.I did find my other drone too. If I fly over his house I go way way high and he doesnt even hear me, but I dont need to fly over his place now.

Just be safe man whataver you do. People will kill someone for stupid stuff these days and its not worth it, but if your in the right..... its ultimately your legal right
to be compensated for someone elses negligence.

Reactions: Sixgun89
Hmm- you both were wrong.
1.you can get him for discharging a weapon in city limits.
2. Show the cops the damage , then go to small claims court and file lawsuit
3. Do not fly your drone above anyone's house- how would you like it. there are alot of open fields in this world.
4/ ever since that virel video of the guy shooting drones its open season on them. Go some place private and fly.

Reactions: Hayabusa1
I finally took a hard look at the picture with the shooter. This photo was not taken in the United States. The Palm Trees show that the climate is tropical. The A/C condensing units on the tin roofs of the buildings leads me to believe that this a country close to Equator, Tropic of Cancer or thereabouts. The tin roofs are a give away for location. If we knew the time of the photo, then from the shadows cast by everything, we could possibly pin point the exact location. The fact remains is that the photo was not taken in the United States according to my best guess based on the photo itself.

I finally took a hard look at the picture with the shooter. This photo was not taken in the United States. The Palm Trees show that the climate is tropical. The A/C condensing units on the tin roofs of the buildings leads me to believe that this a country close to Equator, Tropic of Cancer or thereabouts. The tin roofs are a give away for location. If we knew the time of the photo, then from the shadows cast by everything, we could possibly pin point the exact location. The fact remains is that the photo was not taken in the United States according to my best guess based on the photo itself.
I believe an Admin has already stated that he was located in the Lower 48.

Reactions: chrismatthewssr
And don't hover in place for too long.. keep moving. What a bummer. You have video of the perp?

Which leads me to a question I've been mulling around in my head the last couple days.. is it possible to program in some simple evasive maneuvers? Hit a button in DJIgo or Litchi and the drone automatically executes a series of manuveurs to get you out of there?
“Home”?

"What should I do?"

Congratulate the guy on a good shot. Then apologize for hovering over his house and let him know you were not "snooping". We drone "pilots" find it easy to forget that most people think we are nothing but "kids" flying our "toys" with cameras over their houses and snooping. They know nothing about FAA regulations and certainly don't see drones as aircraft.

Reactions: beb
There are some big problems in this response,

(1) you only HAVE to file a report if the damage is (A) $500.00 or greater to property other than the RPIC’s. So he is not legally required to file an incident report because the only item damaged was the drone. (B) If bodily injury or a loss of consciousness in a bystander occurs you must file an incident report with the FAA.

(2). The problem with the picture is it is too grainy and that there is no definitive gun, he could just be pointing at the drone.

(3) you’ve had the drone two days, is it registered with the FAA displaying the registration #? If not the pilot gets fines.

(4). If operation was within 5 miles of a major airport and pilot was operating without clearance pilot could go to jail.

Consider yourself lucky it just cost the lens. Also make sure you were operating within the limits of the law before taking any action against this neighbor. Unfortunately the pictures aren’t sharp enough to be able to see a gun or an air rifle so the burden of proof lies on you and you could get counter sued. Weigh your options before doing anything.
What? You don't need to register your drone so number 3 makes no sense.

As a recreational pitot there is no requirement for him to register or report accidents... this unfortunately only applies to us P107 pilots. Just as in flying within controlled airspace - all a rec pilot needs to do is call ATC and inform of intent to fly... as a P107 pilot I have applied to FAA for permission to fly in Class C which covers my town and am still waiting for authorization... severely limiting my business.

I just applied for my blanket application also and it takes at least 90 days to for approval.

Considering the pic that was taken showing the person with the gun, It looks like it was over his property and the camera "aimed" his direction to get the pic. And Im sure it was taken before he shot it, because the camera probably wont work after he shot it. But by FAA standards.. Your in legal airspace, The FAA owns the airspace above the ground no matter where it is, But you were in the Wrong for being that low and sitting still with camera aimed in his direction, even if you didnt mean it. Ive stopped my drone many times to make adjustments, etc, but im over 300ft up when im doing it, not 50-100.

I finally took a hard look at the picture with the shooter. This photo was not taken in the United States. The Palm Trees show that the climate is tropical. The A/C condensing units on the tin roofs of the buildings leads me to believe that this a country close to Equator, Tropic of Cancer or thereabouts. The tin roofs are a give away for location.

Apparently you've never been in slums of Miami.

Reactions: Allen B
The FAA owns the airspace above the ground no matter where it is,.

That is not accurate. The FAA *controls* the airspace. Huge difference. US vs. Causby rejected the ad coelum principle, where the property holder owns Earth to Heaven. But the Supreme Court did rule in this case that the public airspace "easement" or right-of-way begins at 365 feet. Not sure if this has been re-addressed, but basically if you're flying over private property best keep it above 365 feet.

Since this was a month ago when the OP was made, then, is this real? Whay hasn't the OP been back to confirm if real?

Reactions: Mark J Colbert
Not with a pellet gun, no. It would be enough to damage the drone, especially that glass. Would need to be a heck of a shot though I will say that.

Not really, I used to bulls-eye womp rats from my T16 and they’re not much bigger than a drone... oops, sorry about that, I was on a Star Wars binge over the holidays

Hmm- you both were wrong.
1.you can get him for discharging a weapon in city limits.
2. Show the cops the damage , then go to small claims court and file lawsuit
3. Do not fly your drone above anyone's house- how would you like it. there are alot of open fields in this world.
4/ ever since that virel video of the guy shooting drones its open season on them. Go some place private and fly.

Maybe, however, only one person committed a felony. Shooting at and damaging an aircraft is a Federal offense (18 U.S.C. 32)

I would have asked him if would like a copy of my video showing his wife and boyfriend doing it in the back yard!

another note: I have no qualms about being a nudist and I do it in my backyard (40-acre backyard) and even I would shoot a drone down. But what I originally said is true. You need to call the cops show them the picture or video - press charges. Then you have to do the criminal court stuff first before suing. Then take him to small claims court to never get your money. Because he e inb jail.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing