Some remaining questions before buy/fly

Reaction score
Why do people calibrate the compass everytime? Isn't it flying back to the gps co-ordinates? I can see a non-calibrated compass can result in a non true radar position in the app...but what else has it to do with savety?

Also, i heard starting engines should go together with some throttle power. But how do i land? I see people grabbing it when it's low enough, but with the controller on their other hand. Is there a power button or just pull the battery? And how do they stop the props spin when they grab it? I have read that putting the sticks to the corners will result in shutdown but you need 2 hands for that?

borgqueenx said:
Why do people calibrate the compass everytime? Isn't it flying back to the gps co-ordinates? I can see a non-calibrated compass can result in a non true radar position in the app...but what else has it to do with savety?

Also, i heard starting engines should go together with some throttle power. But how do i land? I see people grabbing it when it's low enough, but with the controller on their other hand. Is there a power button or just pull the battery? And how do they stop the props spin when they grab it? I have read that putting the sticks to the corners will result in shutdown but you need 2 hands for that?

I calibrate every time just because I want to be sure, no scientific reason.

No throttle to start the motors, just move both sticks to bottom and together and the motors start instantly, then hands off the sticks. To take off, I give it full throttle which might seem scary, but it's not. It will not instantly rise, it takes a couple seconds and then it lifts off but in a controlled manner. It will be easy to take it up 6-8' and then hands off and look at and admire your new Phantom.

You land it by lowering the left stick near or at the bottom. You will have time and control to do it just like you want. Nothing is really erratic, it will be simple. When you near 6-8' again, a little less lowering of the left stick will bring it down slowly. I usually grab it, but either way works. I just like the control of having it in my hand. While landing or grabbing, just keep the left stick all the way to the bottom until the motors stop. That's it, easy-peasy. You will be more comfortable doing it than reading and talking about it. :)

borgqueenx said:

Download the manual from DJI

I see lots of people catching the phantom, and if you know what you are doing it can be done without issue. However keep in mind that people have tried this and had bad things happen. Its not as safe as just landing on the ground or on some flat surface.

I have put together a playlist on YouTube called "Warning - Not a Toy" you may want to give it a look at least just to learn from other peoples mistakes so it does not happen to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji3Hii_ ... 8mXIMDNI4K

MikesTooLz said:
I see lots of people catching the phantom, and if you know what you are doing it can be done without issue. However keep in mind that people have tried this and had bad things happen. Its not as safe as just landing on the ground or on some flat surface.

I have put together a playlist on YouTube called "Warning - Not a Toy" you may want to give it a look at least just to learn from other peoples mistakes so it does not happen to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji3Hii_ ... 8mXIMDNI4K

Each one of those people in the videos needs psychiatric help. I would like to say none of the Phantom owners on this forum would be that dumb, but I don't really know...

borgqueenx said:

You don't have to calibrate the compass every flight. Some people just feel safer doing it. If the Phantom determines the compass is out of calibration, it will prompt you (via a the lights & a pop-up in the Vision app) to perform a calibration. I don't calibrate every flight but, if my current launch point is distant from my prior flight, then I perform a pre-flight calibration.

You land by hovering over your intended landing point, and slowing bringing her down to the ground. You may need some slight right-stick adjustments as you approach the ground. The only time I've ever plucked her from the sky was when I got caught in the rain in a thunderstorm. To stop the props, you simply hold the Phantom steady while holding the left stick all the way down. The motors will shut down in a second or two.

There is a power button on the battery. Read the manual and you will learn a lot.

I'll hand catch if I'm on real sandy or rough ground , like a beach. Don't need to get that in my motors.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl