So some idiot shot my phantom3 advanced WITH 22.

You can't just shoot planes out of the air, especially in the u.s. Many don't realize this but they don't own the airspace over their property. The faa does. If you want your property to be a no fly zone you have to do more than claim it to be so.

Bloody Oath! Spoton!!
Same goes for Australia but our Authority is the Civil Aviation Authority. Common Sense applies for crying out loud!

I have been arguing with my wife over this very thing. She states that I only see it the way I do because I am the pilot of the drone where as if I saw a drone over the top of my place watching what was going on she thinks I would react differently as it may be a sinister scumbag watching my little girls on the trampoline etc. Personally I think that as long as the drone is atleast 60 metres up than it is not close enough to really see anything in detail and that its far enough away not be annoying. I would not care and Certainly would not be Stupid enough to endanger others by shooting it out of the sky.

Yup. Amazing how many laws are not enforced these days.

Did u see the petition that peter sachs has started?

The FAA considers them aircraft when it's convenient for them.

Came here to post this... Complain about your rights being violated as a UAV operator? FAA says sorry it's just a model/toy. Get in trouble for something or when coming up with docs for regulations? You have an aircraft that must be FAA registered.

Reactions: Roverggm
The best thing the shooter can hope for is a Judge that looks at it and rules with keeping the neighborhood peace in mind.
I believe everything is on Cody's side.

The shooter will likely, at a bare minimum, replace in full and in kind Cody's drone, pay fines(disturb peace was $100 and up to 2 days in jail, criminal mischief was $500 and up to 6 months in jail) excluding court costs and/or be on general probation for 1 year. Not sure how the judge will handle the gun discharge.

Reactions: Numone
This type story is becoming more and more common now. I'm going to guess whomever shot at your Phantom wasn't annoyed with you, rather, they were doing something they didn't want documented... poaching, growing dope, making hooch, maybe both, stealing, trespassing, etc. To hit your airborne Phantom at the 200' altitude with a .22 rifle means this is someone you don't want to tangle with as that was a world-class shot. Imagine if he had a .223 or .308 what he could've done to your quad... or to you. To get those great aerial shots you have to fly your quad in predictable manner making it easy for someone to try out their duck huntin' skill. My big advice is to buy insurance for your drone. I have Neary Aerial insurance, but you best ask whomever you buy insurance from if gunshot damage is covered under their policy. This type of damage will soon (I hope) become a Federal offense (It already is but the FAA and the Feds aren't following up on them) resulting in Federal prison time and fines in the $20K range. Imagine one day that a defibrillator or medicine is being transported via drone and some lunkhead shoots it down because his tender sensibilities were offended or he felt someone was looking at his daughter's freight train stopping face.

Reactions: Brad Pierce
Came here to post this... Complain about your rights being violated as a UAV operator? FAA says sorry it's just a model/toy. Get in trouble for something or when coming up with docs for regulations? You have an aircraft that must be FAA registered.
Ain't that the truth... as usual, FAA talks out both sides of its mouth.

Well if it's registered then the shooter committed a Federal crime for shooting at a Federally registered aircraft. You should call the FAA, the FBI, and Homeland security. Unfortunately this is what they signed up for when they decided everyone needs to register their UAVs. Until they pass laws specifying the difference between a UAV and a 747 they have to treat all cases of Federally registered aircraft being shot at from the ground as one and the same.. basically an act of terrorism. Obviously I see the difference, but like I said.. until Federal law spells out the difference then it is what it is..

Where someone is standing makes little difference when it's the drone that someone was firing at. If the owner of the property wants to press charges for the person trespassing on their land, they can do this.
No they can't they have no right to air space the FAA owns the air space and like another person posted you cannot just shoot weapons at drones because they annoy you. It is against the law and a federal offense. On the other hand if he was outside someones home video taping or taking pictures then it might become a privacy issue and they still need to call the police and not pull out a gun and shoot away, stray bullets kill people.

No they can't they have no right to air space the FAA owns the air space and like another person posted you cannot just shoot weapons at drones because they annoy you. It is against the law and a federal offense. On the other hand if he was outside someones home video taping or taking pictures then it might become a privacy issue and they still need to call the police and not pull out a gun and shoot away, stray bullets kill people.

Please see my follow up messages on clarification. The FAA does not own airspace, it regulates it. I suspect this is what you meant.

Well if it's registered then the shooter committed a Federal crime for shooting at a Federally registered aircraft. You should call the FAA, the FBI, and Homeland security. Unfortunately this is what they signed up for when they decided everyone needs to register their UAVs. Until they pass laws specifying the difference between a UAV and a 747 they have to treat all cases of Federally registered aircraft being shot at from the ground as one and the same.. basically an act of terrorism. Obviously I see the difference, but like I said.. until Federal law spells out the difference then it is what it is..

Good point. Only thing is, with the current registration, isnt it the operator that is technically registered and not the aircraft? I think its an important distinction.

Last edited:
Reactions: N017RW
Have you seen the TruGreen commercial, where Mr. Yardley sics his trained hawk to take down the neighbors drone?
Makes out that Mr. Yardley is some kind of hero. Personally it sickens me how too many commercials promote reckless, illegal and dangerous activity.
Other examples are Bass Pro commercial where the Bass Pro race car speeds down residential neighborhood to deliver a package and the BMW commercial where guy races back home with ice cream cones.
It's no wonder we have such idiots here in our country when they are fed such BS in the commercials.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Is Google trespassing when they take pictures of your property for Google Earth? I would argue not

I caught a guy in a tree stand on my property. I did charge him with criminal trespass, but he wasn't on the ground.

I agree common sense should rule the day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So I was flying my couple month old phantom 3 advanced quad and some idiot shot it with a 22. I was not flying or looking at his property I till I noticed he was firing at me. Turn because I couldn't believe it and started looking to see who was shooting and bam! Disconnected from my controller to my bird. Luckily my bird did what was it supposed to do, flew home. When got back I noticed it was hit in the VPS and Ofdm module. What are my rights. PLEASE HELP.

I haven't read the entire thread, but the law is very clear on this matter.

OF COURSE you have rights, major rights.
First and foremost, it is a federal offense, so be sure the Sheriff of the parish knows this.
Second, a federal marshal should be called in.
Third, the FAA needs to be notified.
Shooting down an aircraft is a federal crime. The penalties include twenty years in prison under 18 U.S.C. § 32(a). A threat to shoot down an aircraft can get you five years in prison under 18 U.S.C. § 32(c).

Currently, Drones are considered aircraft by the FAA, NTSB, and other aviation-related authority.
Recent case law supported that Drones must abide by the FAR's (Federal Aviation Regulations for those of you who brag in this forum about violating them), and by the opposing view, the FAR's also support/protect drones. This is part of why we're in a spot of trouble is that the federal law is required to protect us, even though a very few assholes are determined to not only break the laws, they openly flaunt their actions.

You're covered. If you can identify the shooter, it doesn't matter if you were overflying their property at 50' or 400'. They committed a felony. Whether the local sheriff or federal marshal understand this or not....different conversation.

Comparing the KY case to this one, the KY case was before the FAA had the owners register. This step by the government makes things far more interesting as it recognizes the UAVs. Was just at Fort Knox old navel gun range and several locals knew the case pretty well. I was flying a Typhoon there with owners permission. Watched a friend tombstone his octocopter because of wind gusts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka