So some idiot shot my phantom3 advanced WITH 22.

Well I guess everything I've learned from being in the USMC as an 0311and as a Police instructor of both long guns and pistols was wrong lol. Bullet Drop compensation, angles, wind speed. Type of ammo was it a. 22 subsonic or .22 60 grain minimag High velocity. Yes 200 Feet is not a long shot, but shooting something out of the sky at 200 feet isn't the easiest shot.

As to you stating you don't need objects to range a target out is totally false. Unless your referring to using a rangefinder, or a BDC of an Optic.
I interpreted your remarks about other objects need to determine range as just that. Maybe I interpreted incorrectly.

Regardless the target provides its own dimensions for range determination and no other object needs to be near of far to aide in any way. The target dimension is the target dimension and that is all that is needed.

As to you stating you don't need objects to range a target out is totally false. Unless your referring to using a rangefinder, or a BDC of an Optic.

And could he not have used his 8 previous shots (in which he missed) to zero in on range or any other parameter required to make the 9th shot a hit?

Sheesh. It seems pretty clear that although it may have been a difficult shot - it was far from impossible. Either way, I don't think that a 1 for 9 success rate is going to open up any sniper jobs for him.

To be honest - I can't even tell what you guys are arguing about at this point.

Reactions: Prairie Pyro
Not sure but I recall the op saying there were several shots. I believe that it would not be an easy shot. 200 feet up is only one part of the equation. The horizontal distance is also a factor which compounds the difficulty. If it is moving that also makes the shot more difficult. If he had a shotgun that thing would have been obliterated.

.22 cal?? Not buyin' it.

It was Colonel Mustard
In the Library
With the wrench.

Not sure but I recall the op saying there were several shots. I believe that it would not be an easy shot. 200 feet up is only one part of the equation. The horizontal distance is also a factor which compounds the difficulty. If it is moving that also makes the shot more difficult. If he had a shotgun that thing would have been obliterated.
Regardless of inclination up or down, those in the know would make that adjustment easily.

Most hunters know the angle matters not as much as the general rule about that type shot.

Regardless, it happened and every hunter I know would make that shot most times, especially with 10 tries. Not really much to debate. It Happened and is being prosecuted according to Cody.

Even Cody said he could make the shot.

Last edited:
I was just reading the other day about drones getting shot down. Shooting at a drone is illegal, PERIOD. Like other posters have mentioned, they are covered under the FAA just like planes. Shooting at drones is dangerous because a) only idiots shoot into the air and b) what's the drone gonna hit or who is it going to hurt when it comes down? BUT, according to the article I read, though it is a felony/federal crime, it seems the feds have refused to pursue charges against anyone for doing it. I think the OP is right for calling his local law enforcement. Leave the feds out of it. We all know they are useless.

I was just reading the other day about drones getting shot down. Shooting at a drone is illegal, PERIOD. Like other posters have mentioned, they are covered under the FAA just like planes. Shooting at drones is dangerous because a) only idiots shoot into the air and b) what's the drone gonna hit or who is it going to hurt when it comes down? BUT, according to the article I read, though it is a felony/federal crime, it seems the feds have refused to pursue charges against anyone for doing it. I think the OP is right for calling his local law enforcement. Leave the feds out of it. We all know they are useless.
The Feds are likely to forward drone type complaints to local LE anyway.

Reactions: Gary M
I'm pro drone and for the Second Amendment to bear arms. Most officers that I work with think NY Safety Act is taking the firearms from law abiding citizens. So I'm with you, my job is what I do not who I am...

Wowwww.....I hate to say it man, but if you're "pro 2'nd amendment" how can you in good conscience be a NY LEO and rob people of their rights? I know, I know. Other people make the laws and your just doing what your told. But politicians are pussies. They aren't going to enforce illegal gun laws against the populace. They leave that up to people who they know will "just follow orders." They can't rob people of their rights without you. Say and do what you like, its a free country. But you claiming to be Pro2A is a joke. I don't find it funny.

Regardless of inclination up or down, those in the know would make that adjustment easily.

Most hunters know the angle matters not as much as the general rule about that type shot.

Regardless, it happened and every hunter I know would make that shot most times, especially with 10 tries. Not really much to debate. It Happened and is being prosecuted according to Cody.

Even Cody said he could make the shot.
Well as someone who does shoot quite often and is familiar with optics and windage I think it "could" be a difficult shot depending on the variables. If it is 200 feet away yeah dead duck. 300 feet away 200 feet up moving not easy at all. But truly that isn't the real issue so I'm ending my discussion on that point. You win

Reactions: Numone
Well as someone who does shoot quite often and is familiar with optics and windage I think it "could" be a difficult shot depending on the variables. If it is 200 feet away yeah dead duck. 300 feet away 200 feet up moving not easy at all. But truly that isn't the real issue so I'm ending my discussion on that point. You win
Not a contest, anyway my comment is about uphill/downhill it's still the same rule, aim lower. The shot POI is calculated on horizontal distance and wind is computed on on LOS distance.

I shoot a little bit too.

I can't wait to see the court results and sentencing and if SO involves the FSDO.

To be honest - I can't even tell what you guys are arguing about at this point.
It's not really an argument. It's a group of folks that read the entire tread having a little banter with folks that have only read the first post.

I've shot guns my whole life, what makes you say close range for a .22?
.22 long rifle is a big round, and travel 1.5miles a .22mag easy 1 mile
People don't use .22s for self defense BECAUSE of the distance they travel, and low stopping power of course, just saying some good ole boy with a .22 could hit a drone with scope at 300yards no problem, hell I've got a PCP (pre charged Pnuematic) air rig that's dead accurate to drive nails at over 100yards
I think you're confused on the .22 LR and .22 Magnum. Both rounds are the same caliber. The magnum is much more powerful than a .22 LR because it has a longer case. I've shot both for over 60 years.

Google ballistics table for .22 LR. Looks Plenty capable to me. But then I am often wrong according to my wife.

Reactions: Numone
I'm guessing that it was a difficult shot while the bird was on the move.

The OP said there were several shots BEFORE he stopped to hover and look around for the shooter. It was AFTER stopping that the drone was struck bu the bullet.

All I can say is that If the pilot was within hearing distance, he was well within the kill zone for a .22
Imagine the nightly news report if the pilot was standing there looking at his fpv, then suddenly HIS lights went out because of one of the several stray bullets !!!!

Just a side point, Imo, a 22 magnum would have gone straight through the craft.

Not a contest, anyway my comment is about uphill/downhill it's still the same rule, aim lower. The shot POI is calculated on horizontal distance and wind is computed on on LOS distance.

I shoot a little bit too.
My only point was that it could be a difficult shot. I'm no expert. I just spend a lot of time on the range.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT