Size of P4P image?

So if I'm not making prints, just using stills for real estate listings, it's not really going to matter?
It's about preserving your options.
By shooting the larger size, you have a little wiggle room to fix the horizon and can choose whether to crop to show more sky or foreground with a photo like this.
i-8BMknXG-XL.jpg

And end up with something like this:
i-6H3nLH6-XL.jpg

But if you shoot 16:9 you've given up your options before you start shooting and there's a lot less you can do with the image.

It's about preserving your options.
By shooting the larger size, you have a little wiggle room to fix the horizon and can choose whether to crop to show more sky or foreground with a photo like this.
i-8BMknXG-XL.jpg

And end up with something like this:
i-6H3nLH6-XL.jpg

But if you shoot 16:9 you've given up your options before you start shooting and there's a lot less you can do with the image.
Thanks for that! Can I get your opinion? So if I shoot with full resolution in mind, I can make my edits and still crop to 16:9 for full HD displays, right?

For maximum headroom in post-processing, set your aspect ratio to 3:2. That will create a 20MP image (the max possible with this sensor). Later on you can crop it to whatever aspect ratio you want.

The JPEG output is only really ~18-19 megapixels from what I can discern. The 20MP you see is only possible by stretching/upsizing the image.

Reactions: andy_k
The JPEG output is only really ~18-19 megapixels from what I can discern. The 20MP you see is only possible by stretching/upsizing the image.
If you set your camera to 3:2 format, you will get jpg files that measure 5472 × 3648 = 19,961,856 pixels - near enough to 20MP.
If you have your camera set to 4:3 or 16:9, you will get less resolution.

Just also worth noting - that for displays on an HD TV you really don't need to worry about the 20mp issues. HD only needs to be 1920x1080 which is a little over 2Mp so you have PLENTY of crop-ability factor if you want. Even 4k displays won't need the full 20mp file.

If you open a HD canvas in Photoshop you'll see how much 'more' the image spills over the edges and how much you have to play with.

Shoot 3:2, crop later. Always DNG. Photos are a different ball game to videos.

So if I'm not making prints, just using stills for real estate listings, it's not really going to matter?

If you are doing stills for real estate listings then I would think you would not want 16x9 as most of the listing sites are still looking for more traditional aspect ratios. At least in my part of the country where my wife is an agent. The sites her listings go on look like mostly like 4:3 or 5:4.

Just verified - the aspect ration of 3:2 renders the full 20MP size.

No, it "interpolates" the final image size from a sensor area of about 15mp or so. The P4P doesn't use all the sensor even in 2:3 aspect ratio.

Search "20mp" in this forum to see where it gets discussed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart