Should I update s/w+f/w? (new P4P)

Reaction score
So, I received my new P4P yesterday (2017-03-23). When setting it up I deliberately avoided all updates.

With a new iPad, of course its s/w version is latest DL'd from the AppStore.

GO of course suggested updates but I was not prevented from flying with the system as is. Generally I'm all for keeping the s/w+f/w up to manufacturer but a lot of frustrated posts out there have me hedging.

Here's the s/w+f/w manifest at present:
  • GO: 4.0.6
  • P4P: 01.02.03004
  • RC: 01.03.00.00+
  • App dB: 00.00.01.04
Please advise.

Firmware updates are always optional, so the choice is yours. If you update and change your mind, you can use the DJI Assistant 2 app to downgrade the firmware.

I'd advise you do the updates, especially on this new a product. They are surely making improvements, seen or unseen.
And I use the DJI Assistant, seems the most fool-proof.

I don't know why you wouldn't want to update. If you are concerned about problem reports you see on the forum then remember that every firmware update that has ever been released has been accompanied by reports of problems (a few accurate, the vast majority false.) If you base your update decision on anecdotal problem reports then you will never update anything.

I'd advise you do the updates, especially on this new a product. They are surely making improvements, seen or unseen.
And I use the DJI Assistant, seems the most fool-proof.

I have a Mac and DJI Assistant has never worked. I'll try it again, someone posted (Mavics group) that you have to connect everything and fire up the bird before launching the App.

I'll do the updates. We just had snow so there's a couple places I want to fly at today... Want to work on some location / POI techniques...

There are problems with litchi in the current P4P firmware. If you use litchi I would not update yet.

Thanks everyone - I just completed the update. Went perfectly (unlike with the Mavic Pro that always hangs at some point).

@Eddyfisher I don't use Litchi so far. It sounds like the sort of app I'd love to use but I keep reading about various issues that people have so I shy away.

Just wish DJI would do a proper waypoint planning addition to their own app. Best, one I could plan on Google Earth and then DL to the app - fine tune it there.

There are problems with litchi in the current P4P firmware. If you use litchi I would not update yet.

The only thing effected in Litchi is Focus, Track and VR with Immersive/Joystick Head Tracking (head tracking fpv goggles)

I don't fly with any head tracking fpv goggles. I fly almost 100% Litchi on my iPad with all updates. Everything works

The only thing effected in Litchi is Focus, Track and VR with Immersive/Joystick Head Tracking (head tracking fpv goggles)

I don't fly with any head tracking fpv goggles. I fly almost 100% Litchi on my iPad with all updates. Everything works

I really dislike the "disconnect" between Litchi and DJI. DJI should (IMO) issue them a warning a few days ahead about changes and some test data so Litchi could get ahead on the s/w upgrade.

I know, I know ...

I follow the dev of DronePan pretty closely. I don't think they get any heads up on new DJI releases. That may apply to all SDK developers. It does seam quite odd

I've also had problems with Pano in Litchi since the upgrade, although I think I've read there were issues with that before. It worked well for me prior to the upgrade and not when I tried it (only once) after. I usually shoot them manually anyway was just being lazy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan