Should I update before new shell install?

Reaction score
Crashed Phantom 3 Pro last fall. Had small amount of damage to landing gear and body. Since I already had stress cracks on arms, I am going to replace shell and gear. My question has to do with me not using for 6 months and no updates. Should I update everything before I tear the phantom down? I would imagine the copter and controller will want / need? updates. Just concerned that if there is an issue I wont know where to start to find the problem. Updates or rebuild problems? Maybe even crash issues? Not an everyday flier so I know just enough to be dangerous.

Crashed Phantom 3 Pro last fall. Had small amount of damage to landing gear and body. Since I already had stress cracks on arms, I am going to replace shell and gear. My question has to do with me not using for 6 months and no updates. Should I update everything before I tear the phantom down? I would imagine the copter and controller will want / need? updates. Just concerned that if there is an issue I wont know where to start to find the problem. Updates or rebuild problems? Maybe even crash issues? Not an everyday flier so I know just enough to be dangerous.
If it were mine, there is no way in the world that I would update it before getting it back to flying normally. I would not want to introduce any variables.

Even once back to flying normally I probably would not update it, but everyone has there own opinion in that area. Good luck!

I know from some of the reading I have done on here that there is some problems with some updates for some people. I did not know that you could decline to do the updates that your software tell you to do.

Firmware updates are optional, the can be done to fix issues, update latest features but at the same time they can cause problems if not done correctly.

Hey beyondhelpin i was in your shoes last year crashed P3P broke gimbal etc and as the shell already had bad cracks in the arms did a shell replacement. My advice take your time and careful with some of screws inside (some very small & soft) you will be right.

Replace shell ...

Then don't fix what aint broke !! ie - why update anything if it flies OK ?

Like another says - why introduce variables to a model you need to test ? If you replace shells and try to fly ... if you have a fault - you know its installation into the shells.
If you updated FW etc. - then what is the cause ?? You will only make the job 100x harder to fix.

Just go and enjoy .........

Nigel

Reactions: JoBe
Ok thanks for the input. Think I am going to start on shell replacement now. Watched some youtube videos that I was not too impressed with on P3 shell replace.. Although I appreciate anyone who steps out to make video, seems like everyone either broke something or where careless and just got lucky they did not. Think my **** side just slipped out!

If it were mine, there is no way in the world that I would update it before getting it back to flying normally. I would not want to introduce any variables.

Even once back to flying normally I probably would not update it, but everyone has there own opinion in that area. Good luck!
I agree with Oso. And if you are to make changes only make 1 at a time to isolate issues. Im happy flying on 1.7.6.

Reactions: Oso
Started shell replacement yesterday afternoon. Got it almost finished. Just need to reinstall camara and landing gear. Hopefully all works ok. Be out of town for a few days will so I will have to wait to finish and test when I return. Dont really want to update especially since I have not flown in 6 months. There are probally multiple updates it will want to take since it has been so long since last flight.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor