Share your P2V funny stories

Reaction score
We all have funny stories with our phantoms, whether you were at the park and had many onlookers or had your neighbors curious about what they were seeing in the sky. Share your stories here if you have any good ones.

I'll start. I just received my P2V and was flying it FAR and really high in a radius around my development. I then started flying just over the rooftops of the homes and I was flying very aggressively. Landed and went to bed. Next morning I woke up and decided to fly again during daylight to get some good shots and videos. One of the neighbors notices me standing out front with the controller and literally runs down the street toward me with his kid. At this point I get 20 questions about it as I'm sure we are all used to...and he is very impressed. He then shares with me that one of the other neighbors down the street from him posted on Facebook that they saw a government drone hovering over the neighborhood the night before and spying. I thought that that was pretty hilarious. We had a pretty good laugh about it.

4 months into the P2 scene - why oh why oh why does everyone that comes up interested ask me if I have been looking in peoples windows spying on them!!! May be its the british we are all peeping toms at heart lol. Reality TV ! I rest my case!!!

A gimbal, a camera and a Phantom walk into a bar...

A lot of people might say that DJI customer service is a joke too.

OK - low flying practice on a local school oval during public holidays
attracted the attention of a three-legged pit bull who made
a beeline for it in an inquisitive way. Wouldn't stop staring
up at it till the owner came and physically dragged it off.
Not really funny, just mildly interesting - but it's the best I've got.

Just after Xmas .. I was out on a local path just hovering above getting used to everything , and an elderly lady came up to me and asked how I plan to drop off her single cup coffee maker with such a small device . She thought I worked for Amazon and was out testing the drone for package deliveries .

El Rey said:
A gimbal, a camera and a Phantom walk into a bar...

A lot of people might say that DJI customer service is a joke too.

OK - low flying practice on a local school oval during public holidays
attracted the attention of a three-legged pit bull who made
a beeline for it in an inquisitive way. Wouldn't stop staring
up at it till the owner came and physically dragged it off.
Not really funny, just mildly interesting - but it's the best I've got.

Yeah, watch out for them three legged Pit Bulls!

But I hear the two legged ones are much worse.

And the one and no legged ones.......let's not even go there! :shock:

Pull_Up said:
Taking a no-legged Pit Bull for a walk would be a bit of a drag...

My "Flying on a Windy Day" video shows a Staffordshire bull terrier attempting to distract me from flying by launching itself towards my groin, all captured from an aerial perspective.

That's just wrong...... :D

streetcreep said:
Just after Xmas .. I was out on a local path just hovering above getting used to everything , and an elderly lady came up to me and asked how I plan to drop off her single cup coffee maker with such a small device . She thought I worked for Amazon and was out testing the drone for package deliveries .

Lol that's pretty funny

Pull_Up said:

My "Flying on a Windy Day" video shows a Staffordshire bull terrier attempting to distract me from flying by launching itself towards my groin, all captured from an aerial perspective.

Lol nice. Maybe I'll have to take a closer look at that video. Funny joke about being a drag. A groaner but still made me smile.

maxscottdog said:
4 months into the P2 scene - why oh why oh why does everyone that comes up interested ask me if I have been looking in peoples windows spying on them!!! May be its the british we are all peeping toms at heart lol. Reality TV ! I rest my case!!!

Is that before or after they hear how loud it is? :)

I suspect that binoculars are less expensive and more effective tools for peeping Toms.

-- Roger

maxscottdog said:

I had someone make a very similar comment. So annoying. It's like automatically they think because we have a "drone" we are spying on people.

It's testament to the media that most folks' first reaction is related to spying. For those who seem even remotely serious I point out that with its fixed, fairly wide angle lens, to capture much in the way of detail it would have to be so close that they'd certainly be aware of the craft's presence, visually if not also audibly. The point of spying with a drone, from my perspective, is to do so covertly. The P2V doesn't really fit that bill.

I've only had one guy ask me if it was armed.

Visioneer said:
It's testament to the media that most folks' first reaction is related to spying. For those who seem even remotely serious I point out that with its fixed, fairly wide angle lens, to capture much in the way of detail it would have to be so close that they'd certainly be aware of the craft's presence, visually if not also audibly. The point of spying with a drone, from my perspective, is to do so covertly. The P2V doesn't really fit that bill.

LOL. I hope you told him, "Yes, fires 5.56mm with a night vision scope. That's why it's called a 'Vision'." Hahaha

Scottrod said:
Visioneer said:

LOL. I hope you told him, "Yes, fires 5.56mm with a night vision scope. That's why it's called a 'Vision'." Hahaha

I would have said "No, it's not armed until the red light starts flashing" :lol:

maxscottdog said:

Soooooo.........................did ya? :D

Pull_Up said:

.[/quote

Even worse, try calling a no legged pit bull to come to you. Apparently, with the loss of all four limbs, they go deaf!!! :lol:

Visioneer said:
It's testament to the media that most folks' first reaction is related to spying. For those who seem even remotely serious I point out that with its fixed, fairly wide angle lens, to capture much in the way of detail it would have to be so close that they'd certainly be aware of the craft's presence, visually if not also audibly.

I've only flown a half-dozen times and only one person has come up to talk with me while I was flying it. She did ask if it had a camera, but seemed positive about the scenery I was filming (hard to argue with that: http://youtu.be/n3ZFTEDuLBA). I told her that it's for panoramas, not portraits :)

Flying up in Scotland near Tarbet Ferry and an older chap came over to me when I landed and was amazed as he thought I had a very well trained seagull! Should have gone to Specsavers! :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl