Several Crashes On Takeoff

Reaction score
I just got my Vision 2 + today. I read the "Quick Start Guide" and the watched the video on the DJI site. Calibrated the compass before each takeoff, etc.

Every time when I gave it some power, one side of the phantom would get more power than the other side, and it would tip over and crash into the ground. One time into a hedge.

I got it up in the air once, but it was completely out of control, would not hover, etc. I was able to compensate and get it safely on the ground. I flew it again earlier today after another compass calibration and it flew perfectly!

The first flights were actually at work. The boss was away, so the employees could play. :)

When I brought it home, I had the exact same issues with one side getting too much power and it crashing into the ground. I also noticed the app on my iPhone stated the speed was like 200MPH. I did an IMU calibration and I was able to get it off the ground and it seems better... a thunderstorm was closing in so I had to cut the flight short. Hopefully tomorrow will be a good day.

All that for my questions....

Is the IMU and other software calibrations something that happens or needs to be addressed often? If I travel with the drone, should I bring my laptop because of the likelihood of needing to connect the drone?

Should I be using prop guards?

Does the sudden stoppage of the motor when the blades strike the dirt or concrete damage the motor? I'll probably replace the props soon just in case.... they still look fine.

There is new firmware out, do experienced pilots typically update firmware immediately when firmware is released, or is it more of a "if it aint broke, don't fix it" mentality?

Sorry for the questions... I know I'm a n00b. I just don't want to break it.... at least not before it's paid for.

I'm pretty sure you were flying Manual based on the description of how it was behaving. Did you change it to Naza mode on the DJI Assistant software when calibrating? Are you familiar with the different S1 and S2 switches positions?

[ ]'s

jaxbert said:
I just got my Vision 2 + today. I read the "Quick Start Guide" and the watched the video on the DJI site. Calibrated the compass before each takeoff, etc.ccSorry for the questions... I know I'm a n00b. I just don't want to break it.... at least not before it's paid for.

I am sorry to say, It sounds like you really need to study the full manual, not just the quick start guide. For a Chinese product, it really is quite good. Though it is possible your bird has a problem. But it sounds to me like a slight bit of newby excitement may have taken over :(

Q1. Calibration isnt needed that often. I keep up with the latest firmware, on average once a minth maybe? I haven't compass or imu calibrated in 6 weeks maybe, so again not that often except if you are flying hundreds of miles away from your last spot.
Q2. Not really necessary to bring the laptop, but if its needed youll kick yourself that you didnt. Chances are slim.
Q3. Dont use prop guards, non dji props or batteries.
Q4. When taking off give her full throttle, dont take her easy she likes it hard. Slow take off will result in tipping over and scratched or broken props. Im guilty of flying with scratched props but its not preferred. Get extra props.
Q5. I always update to latest firmware, its always flown better for me. Some will disagree.

Now I would fully suggest that you look up on every single youtube instructional video for the p2v and p2v+. Take it easy for the first few weeks. Dont change into naza mode until you get 15-20 flights. Look up calibrations, vortex ring state (very important) videos on hand catching, I havent let any of my phantoms skids touch the ground when landing in 6 months to stop tipping over. ASK QUESTIONS!!! We will help, we hate answering questions when somebidy new asks how to fix their camera after 2 flights, I personally hate reading new crash stories which I read at least 4 a day. The phantom is ready to fly out of the box, the pilot may not be (being kind). But most of all, learn, ask, and bloody well enjoy it because it will bring countless hours of fun and enjoyment. But ask, learn, take it slowly and enjoy.
Safe and happy flying.

Is the IMU and other software calibrations something that happens or needs to be addressed often? If I travel with the drone, should I bring my laptop because of the likelihood of needing to connect the drone?

Sure wouldn't hurt

Should I be using prop guards?

NO, don't use them

Does the sudden stoppage of the motor when the blades strike the dirt or concrete damage the motor? I'll probably replace the props soon just in case.... they still look fine.

Motor should be fine. Check your props for nicks or gouges, and if you find them, replace them

There is new firmware out, do experienced pilots typically update firmware immediately when firmware is released, or is it more of a "if it aint broke, don't fix it" mentality?

I generally like to wait a week or so for the pros to make sure there aren't issues

If you are willing to ask you can mail me anytime. I'll do my best to help to get you started.

Regardless of whether you're in NAZA or PHANTOM mode... just make sure both S1 and S2 (the only two top switches) are in the top most position... all the way up... ensure you've done the compass dance (not just the IMU calibration.. there is a difference)... ensure you have 6+ satellites locked before and after motor start... only then think about going full throttle and flying..

D_Tshudy said:
Are you using the DJI-supplied props? If not, do.

Yes.. A friend just gave me a cheap set of props to try on my vision 2.. They look just like the original.. I went to lift off, and one side lifted off before the other.. The copter slipped sideways about 8 feet, and flipped over in the grass.. I changed the props back, and it lifted off fine..

Thank you for all the quick replies.

I did the compass calibration.

The blades are brand new DJI, the ones that came in the box with the P2V+ itself. I must say... everything in the brand new, sealed box was.... dirty. Not really the drone itself, but all the white boxes that the prop blades, charger, etc were packed it was dirty... like it was packed by a 6 year old outside in the mud. It was all sealed though.

The S1 and S2 switch were in the upward most position at all times (except the toggling for the compass calibration.)

Always had 8 satellites... maybe 9 once.

I'll see what happens tomorrow, and update the firmware.

Thanks again for the replies!

jaxbert said:
Thank you for all the quick replies.

I did the compass calibration.

The blades are brand new DJI, the ones that came in the box with the P2V+ itself. I must say... everything in the brand new, sealed box was.... dirty. Not really the drone itself, but all the white boxes that the prop blades, charger, etc were packed it was dirty... like it was packed by a 6 year old outside in the mud. It was all sealed though.

The S1 and S2 switch were in the upward most position at all times (except the toggling for the compass calibration.)

Always had 8 satellites... maybe 9 once.

I'll see what happens tomorrow, and update the firmware.

Thanks again for the replies!

Be careful with the advanced IMU calibration.. That stupid over-heated message threw me off, and I ended up flying before the calibration completed.. I took off, and the copter just started flying away from me towards the nearby highway.. I did an on purpose crash, to avoid getting into traffic.. Make sure you've done a proper advanced calibration, and didn't move the copter during the process.. Also, make sure you don't do your compass dance anywhere near metal, like a truck..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl