satellites drop slightly when recording video - SOLVED

here's my progress so far... untested of course. I wrapped the cable in aluminum tape, then covered in packing tape, until just under the surface of the broad layer of aluminum. I'm about to cover the rest of the aluminum with packing tape. The wind is picking up down here in my neck of the woods (Brazil) so I'll only do ground testing for now.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 440
robinbuzios said:
here's my progress so far... untested of course. I wrapped the cable in aluminum tape, then covered in packing tape, until just under the surface of the broad layer of aluminum. I'm about to cover the rest of the aluminum with packing tape. The wind is picking up down here in my neck of the woods (Brazil) so I'll only do ground testing for now.

Let us know how that works. I tried the EXACT same thing and it actually made the reception WORSE. I think you need to find a way to ground that shield otherwise it may actually re-radiate the signal.

@kirbinster
But the original shield isn't grounded to begin with. Not sure what difference it would make. Did you tuck the cable under the original shielding?

Now I'm thinking twice before I close 'er up. Any other opinions?

Yes I tucked it under. I don't know if it is because it is aluminum rather than copper, or that it being larger radiates to some area that were not hit before. All I know is it actually made it worse not better - so I removed it. I hope your experience is better. What is strange is that when some people do this it makes it better, for others it has no impact, and for others (like me) it makes it worse.

I have spoken to a Radio Ham who is well clued up and showed him my quad he did agree that the sheilding should help but after taking out the battery and looking at camera cables he recons that i will not get any ferrite small enough to fit on the cables without obstructing the battery .But removing the camera cables and sheilding them would also help .

I had to send my camera/gimbal to the distributor for a broken ribbon cable, so I can't give exact improvement on number of satellites. HOWEVER... the first time I switched it on I got the 3 rapid green 6+ satellite led's within 30 seconds, and it holds firm even indoors. Before today it took 3 to 5 minutes to acquire 6 sats, and then it would waver between gps and atti mode while in flight. This is a huge improvement, and I can't wait to see how many sats it's actually picking up now.
Looks like I'm one of the lucky ones!

Guys is this necessary when using h3-3D with gopro? Or is it just when using the vision?

smallman28 i noted that you said using the button below the camera still caused sat drop out .
Whats getting me is that i have no issues with wi-fi extender on and i can fly around and no sat loss untill i switch the camera on .
My next thing is i am going to remove the camera and cables and insulate them as well , ive done everything else :evil:

saltire said:
smallman28 i noted that you said using the button below the camera still caused sat drop out .
Whats getting me is that i have no issues with wi-fi extender on and i can fly around and no sat loss untill i switch the camera on .
My next thing is i am going to remove the camera and cables and insulate them as well , ive done everything else :evil:

Yep exact same issue,suspected the wifi initially but now know it is definetly the camera.

Do Vision plus stil have this bad shielding problem, or was it for previous batches?

I find it hard to believe that they did not change their production process and fixed this issue?

un hombre said:
Do Vision plus stil have this bad shielding problem, or was it for previous batches?

I find it hard to believe that they did not change their production process and fixed this issue?

My mates was purchased about 6-8 weeks ago and has this problem.
His first 5-10 flights were fine then since the most recent firmware update he has had this issue.
I did wonder if that had contributed to the problem somehow?

I also have this problem. The foil mod did not help for me (using foil tape from the hardware store). I'm wondering if switching to the copper tape the use for shielding in guitars will help my situation.

Ok after never getting more than 6 or 7 sats and loosing 2 to 3 when starting recording video, I did the modification. I bought a roll of Aluminum insulation tape from and air conditioning store ( $30 for a big roll that I will never even use, thanks DJI) and cut 2 shields. I followed the first video for the modification in this thread and each shield goes laterally across from wing to wing so the shield over the GPS is doubled. Just seemed easier to cut the shield that way because the tape is 4 inches wide. I also insulated the wire from the GPS with the tape. Then I covered the shield with non conductive tape.

SO, Not I get 12+ satellites and no drop when I start recording! Unbeliveable how stable the quad is when recording now.

I am a very happy pilot!

Well done Dji know there are problems as this was their reply on the Dji website
Sorry for the inconvenience.
It is suggested to ask for dealer and send it back for maintenance to our repair center if you still can not fix it.
Here is our support center info: http://www.dji.com/support
pls contact your dealer first if you have one and ask them help arrange the repair service for you.
You have got to love the quote * if you still can not fix it*

I took the GPS puck off my F450 and plugged it into my mates Phantom,worked perfectly,almost an instant lock and no sats lost.
Looks like mounting the GPS unit outside is the best way to go.
As it stands on the stock one the wire is too short to do that easily,so he has ordered a GPS puck off a Naza lite system.
Hopefully by the weekend we will have found a slightly expensive fix :)

smallman28 said:
I took the GPS puck off my F450 and plugged it into my mates Phantom,worked perfectly,almost an instant lock and no sats lost.
Looks like mounting the GPS unit outside is the best way to go.
As it stands on the stock one the wire is too short to do that easily,so he has ordered a GPS puck off a Naza lite system.
Hopefully by the weekend we will have found a slightly expensive fix :)
What model of Phantom did you try the gps unit into ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT