Satellite/Gimbal Issues in Rain

Reaction score
I'm in Houston and was flying my P3P in a light rain to look at the flooding damage. Went through a couple flights with no problems, even though the lens got some raindrops on it. On the last flight, I was manually returning back to launch point and with no warning the camera/gimbal began to lurch in extreme directions despite no change in flight path. This persisted for final 2 minutes of flight until I was able to get the bird back on the ground. The dji app noted a satellite issue.

Has this happened to anybody before? Any idea what the cause is?

My hunch is that some raindrops got into the shell and disrupted the satellite connection, but that is a very uneducated guess.

The AC and gimbal are not water proof and water will eventually make it's way into the craft and may cause a short and down you go. I got back to home base a few times with a few drops comming down with no issues but I would not deliberately fly in the rain.

I'm in Houston and was flying my P3P in a light rain to look at the flooding damage.
Although you may have been just flying around your own property, I would not advertise the fact that you are flying anywhere near the area. That could be misunderstood by some as "reckless" flying. Sometimes it's best just to wait and refrain from that until things clear up a bit. Just pointing that out. Not saying you did anything wrong, it's perception more than fact for the interim.

Get a hair dryer and focus on the vents around the gimbal and also the vents on the ac . Left my p3p walked in for a fresh battery got side tracked talking to my son he opened the door dad it's raining . Hair dryer worked didn't power it up till the next day . Take your battery out as well. If water was running out I would take it apart . Good luck.

I'm in Houston and was flying my P3P in a light rain to look at the flooding damage. Went through a couple flights with no problems, even though the lens got some raindrops on it. On the last flight, I was manually returning back to launch point and with no warning the camera/gimbal began to lurch in extreme directions despite no change in flight path. This persisted for final 2 minutes of flight until I was able to get the bird back on the ground. The dji app noted a satellite issue.

Has this happened to anybody before? Any idea what the cause is?

My hunch is that some raindrops got into the shell and disrupted the satellite connection, but that is a very uneducated guess.
Mate i amazed with all that rain and water you can get some sats through the clouds,mayby drop run down ribbon cable made it dance ??same as Chasbro take care out there:oops:

Awesome video. Very brave too, flying in the rain over a river, plus being near to a bridge where you could get compass error. 10/10 for having the balls to do that [emoji4]
1504092283579.png

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT