Rules

Reaction score
I've been looking everywhere for some clear answers. I'm sure there are other posts about this but I cannot find any that are explained in a way I can understand and feel comfortable are true. I see rules and suggestions but I'm not sure which is which. I'm not wanting to break rules or endanger people or property. But is the 400 ft rule a law or suggestion? I've seen people say both. Is it legal to fly over other people's property without permission? Is it acceptable/safe to fly over towns or cities? When flying does line of sight mean you have to be able to literally see the aircraft, or just have direct line of sight between you and the air craft? (Example, 2 miles of open air between me and my drone but I cannot physically see it. vs literally being able to see it?) please forgive me if I'm posting questions that have already been answered. And please don't think I'm wanting to break or stretch laws or rules. I just want to be sure I'm being legal and safe. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

What is published on the U.S. FAA web site is called rules. Not called suggestions. I'm not going to go through each rule you asked about. And, I'm not a lawyer. Go to the FAA web site and read for yourself. Make up your own mind. Personally, I follow the rules.
I'll say this... it seems a lot of people, on this site, proudly claim to have frequently broken the FAA rules. Apparently, they don't give the rules a second thought.
And, the enforcement of the rules is nearly non-existent. The actual Federal law is a mish-mash of different little pieces of laws that pertain to large aircraft. And, it seems that there are few Federal law enforcement officials that are out there cuffing offenders. So, if you break the rules... so what? Who's going to arrest you?
Some fool crashed a drone into the Space Needle in Seattle on New Years Eve. Authorities aren't even trying to find the operator.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jshank
What is published on the U.S. FAA web site is called rules. Not called suggestions. I'm not going to go through each rule you asked about. And, I'm not a lawyer. Go to the FAA web site and read for yourself. Make up your own mind. Personally, I follow the rules.
I'll say this... it seems a lot of people, on this site, proudly claim to have frequently broken the FAA rules. Apparently, they don't give the rules a second thought.
And, the enforcement of the rules is nearly non-existent. The actual Federal law is a mish-mash of different little pieces of laws that pertain to large aircraft. And, it seems that there are few Federal law enforcement officials that are out there cuffing offenders. So, if you break the rules... so what? Who's going to arrest you?
Some fool crashed a drone into the Space Needle in Seattle on New Years Eve. Authorities aren't even trying to find the operator.

Thanks for your input and I agree. There's always a few that ruin it for the rest. I'm not trying to break laws or push boundaries. I'm just wanting to make sure I stay well within the laws. Some of my questions are due to the fact of seeing people blatantly doing things that I don't think are acceptable. And wondering why they don't get in trouble. The FAA web site says guidelines, that's why I was curious if it was law or not.

Thanks for your input and I agree. There's always a few that ruin it for the rest. I'm not trying to break laws or push boundaries. I'm just wanting to make sure I stay well within the laws. Some of my questions are due to the fact of seeing people blatantly doing things that I don't think are acceptable. And wondering why they don't get in trouble. The FAA web site says guidelines, that's why I was curious if it was law or not.

Follow the FAA guidelines. . . You'll have no worries and enjoy your bird even more!

Jshank, you can find the hobbyists laws in the "Fly for Fun" column in the table here. The hobbyists guidelines/suggestions can be found here. In most cases, it's a great idea to follow both.

Reactions: JohnnyB and Jshank
I would bet against this I believe that i did hear the drone was registered there for I bet there will be consequences. If nothing else but to set an example ! Our sport is filled with people doing bad things. If you fly under the radar and within the rules I thank you. And if you fly beyond the rules its bound to only bring very stick enforcement's. And I prey that someone flying beyond our guide lines is not involved in a catastrophe ! We all have experienced that temporary loss of site within seeable sight, when you know its supposed to be right there yet it takes a few seconds or minutes to lock eyes on it ! Imagine your flying above your 400ft and up into small aircraft zone of 500ft and up ! And a small aircraft is flying at you ? Do you notice it ? Does he see you ? Bad things can happen in a second ! Lets all be careful out there and lets not be THAT GUY !

Reactions: JWH and Jshank
Here in the UK "hobby flying"
400 feet above ground and 500 meters line of sight.
You are not allowed to fly with in 50 meters of a person, building, boat, animals or structure not under you control.
Not within 150 meters of a town village or settlement or a gathering of more than a thousand people.
Not with in 5 miles of an airport, aerodrome.
Permissions are needed to fly on private land

I would bet against this I believe that i did hear the drone was registered there for I bet there will be consequences. If nothing else but to set an example ! Our sport is filled with people doing bad things. If you fly under the radar and within the rules I thank you. And if you fly beyond the rules its bound to only bring very stick enforcement's. And I prey that someone flying beyond our guide lines is not involved in a catastrophe ! We all have experienced that temporary loss of site within seeable sight, when you know its supposed to be right there yet it takes a few seconds or minutes to lock eyes on it ! Imagine your flying above your 400ft and up into small aircraft zone of 500ft and up ! And a small aircraft is flying at you ? Do you notice it ? Does he see you ? Bad things can happen in a second ! Lets all be careful out there and lets not be THAT GUY !

As a general aviation pilot, I can tell you that it is hard enough for me to spot another plane. It is very likely that I won't see a drone until it is too late for me to do anything about it, hence the 400' rule. The only time I will be less than 400' will be on take off or landing. There should be no conflicts if the drones are below 400' and not directly in line with the runway.

I too have temporarily lost sight of my drone. I had a scary couple of moments searching for it. One tip for spotting the drone if you lose sight of it is to scan the area and not fixate on one place in the sky where you think it should be. We are taught that in pilot training when trying to spot other aircraft.

I agree that everyone needs to fly the drones within the rules so that we can avoid even more rules and restrictions. Common sense and courtesy will go a long way.

What is published on the U.S. FAA web site is called rules. Not called suggestions.
For the most part, yes. But not completly true. That is part of the problem. The FAA does give out incorrect information and even lie a little when it suits them. Flying 400' or less being a regulation was the most obvious lie they put out. If you look at their website(s), they also have conflicting information. The problem is that the regulations in some cases are open for interpretation and they have not been ruled upon by the court system.

One example was... is a UAV an "aircraft". We now know that it is, as the NSATB has stated that it's an "aircraft"... when it comes to being under the FAA jurisdiction. Another would be, that people need to follow the rules of a "Community Based Organization". What is a CBO? Some local tows, cities or even states seem to think this allows them to make laws to govern airspace above them.

As a general aviation pilot, I can tell you that it is hard enough for me to spot another plane. It is very likely that I won't see a drone until it is too late for me to do anything about it, hence the 400' rule. The only time I will be less than 400' will be on take off or landing. There should be no conflicts if the drones are below 400' and not directly in line with the runway.

I too have temporarily lost sight of my drone. I had a scary couple of moments searching for it. One tip for spotting the drone if you lose sight of it is to scan the area and not fixate on one place in the sky where you think it should be. We are taught that in pilot training when trying to spot other aircraft.

I agree that everyone needs to fly the drones within the rules so that we can avoid even more rules and restrictions. Common sense and courtesy will go a long way.
I live 5.1 miles form a regional airport and I'm not inline with the runway, actually the opposite, it's east west and I am south. I had a small prop plane fly over my yard a few weeks ago while I was flying my drone, it flew slightly below my drone at approximately 250 feet and about 500 feet right of it. I hope the pilot saw it and it scared the crap out of him. FWIW it appeared so fast (like out of nowhere) I didn't have any time to do anything and just watched as it flew on by.

I live 5.1 miles form a regional airport and I'm not inline with the runway, actually the opposite, it's east west and I am south. I had a small prop plane fly over my yard a few weeks ago while I was flying my drone, it flew slightly below my drone at approximately 250 feet and about 500 feet right of it. I hope the pilot saw it and it scared the crap out of him. FWIW it appeared so fast (like out of nowhere) I didn't have any time to do anything and just watched as it flew on by.

There is the occasional stupid pilot, just as in any other activity. He should not have been that low over a populated area unless there were some overriding reason.

As the old saying goes: There are old pilots. There are bold pilots. There are no old, bold, pilots!

In most cases what I stated should be true.

There is the occasional stupid pilot, just as in any other activity. He should not have been that low over a populated area unless there were some overriding reason.

As the old saying goes: There are old pilots. There are bold pilots. There are no old, bold, pilots!

In most cases what I stated should be true.
I was worried at first but the more I thought about it the chances of a mid air hit are really pretty low and even though it was a small plane (looked like WW2 era actually). I think it would have won the battle and I'd have had 1000 bits of plastic and wires.

The flight path from my house to that airport has nothing higher than 170 so he was sightseeing. I really hope he noticed my drone but I doubt it.

The FAA does a great job on their website of convincing people that what is on there is rules and regulations, but it's not.

But people need to be cognizant and responsible, regardless of the guidelines. Common sense goes a long way, but it's not something you can regulate into people, try as they might.

Problem is you have alot of people who don't follow the rules or even the guide lines. This puts pressure on people who are following the rules in the form of more regulations and more restrictions.

The rules on the FAA website are very straight forward. I think the rule that should be followed above all is to fly responsibility as to not interfere with manned aircraft in the NAS.

I also think you need to use some common sense. If your hovering your drone 100 feet off your neighbors back deck for 10min then you deserve all the karma that follows, up to getting your *** kicked.

It's the stupid among us that is going to drive the FAA to license EVERYONE that flies a drone regardless of commercial or hobby. They did it with Amature Radio there going to do it for UAV's, it's only a matter of time.

IMO any way

Reactions: JWH

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94