Rules aand regulations

Reaction score
Does any body know for sure the rules and regulations for flying around downtown Orlando?...Due to proximity to executive airport?

..well it seems starting Aug 29th we're gonna need a UAS Pilot license to fly the drones...this is getting complicated...but I understand the risks...and I have permission from the Tower

..well it seems starting Aug 29th we're gonna need a UAS Pilot license to fly the drones...this is getting complicated...but I understand the risks...and I have permission from the Tower

Not sure what you are referring to with your statement. For commercial use, yes you will need a license. You don't need a license if you are using it for hobby only. But you still have to abide by the local rules and you must register it with the FAA.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm right outside of the 5miles radius from the Orlando airport...but it happens I live right in the line of landing approach which planes fly very low (above 500')...am I violating any rule?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I'll assume you're south of MCO as 5 miles north would put you up by Executive airport so taking a quick glance at the airspace just outside of 5 miles south of MCO, it looks like the floor of the airspace is 900 feet up to 10,000 feet.

Stay 400 or below and you should be good to go under Part 107 or Part 101.. The airlines will be at 900 feet or higher.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm reading this wrong.

AD

Thanks for the quick reply, yes, south of MCO, ...is just they pass at a very low altitude and I can read the 747 from Virgin Airlines every day

I'm right outside of the 5miles radius from the Orlando airport...but it happens I live right in the line of landing approach which planes fly very low (above 500')...am I violating any rule?

Should not be any aircraft at 500 ft 5 miles from that airport, especially if there is anybody under that flight path

Sorry but you are wrong. Aircraft may well be at 500' at 5 miles on the landing approach.
Not going into MCO! That's why the airspace is set up like it is. Beyond 5 nm, the floor is 900 ft and any airfcraft coming into MCO should be above that. And the Class E around it is T 700 ft so the OP should be good. He just needs to also watch out for Gateway. If he gets within 5 miles of that one he'll need to notify the tower there too (it's Class D airspace so be careful there).

one more question...from where do I measure the 5miles, from the edge of the runaway, control tower, the closest building?...

Sorry but you are wrong. Aircraft may well be at 500' at 5 miles on the landing approach.

Not only would that be not smart under the glide free rule but it would put the pilot in violation of 14CFR, subchapter F, 91.119 b requiring 1000 feet. So they should not be at 500 feet unless it is over an unpopulated area and last I remember flying into that airport, it is densely populated.

Not only would that be not smart under the glide free rule but it would put the pilot in violation of 14CFR, subchapter F, 91.119 b requiring 1000 feet. So they should not be at 500 feet unless it is over an unpopulated area and last I remember flying into that airport, it is densely populated.

Yes those rules apply except for the purpose of LANDING or TAKEOFF.

The passengers are a bit reluctant getting off the aircraft at 1000' AGL at 140kts......:)

Last edited:
The pattern altitude at KORL is 1000 ft MSL and since there are no other uncontrolled airports under KORL airspace within 5 miles, they should not be below 1000 ft MSL

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl