RTH - I have never used it -

For the sake of adding convo to the topic...

I've read the manual. I've learned everything I can and I practice it. I even labeled my RC (P3S) to remind me which switch to use and how many times to toggle it in case I have a brain fart in a panic.

I activate it, I cancel it and I activate it again. I sometimes (safely) intentionally fly to the limits of my signal and allow it to activate itself. Sometimes I let it come all the way back, sometimes I take control as soon as I have signal again.

But I never use it to bring the bird back if I don't have to. I use that time to practice, fly, control, and have fun. I just want to know that it works and how, but I don't use it as my RTH method when it's time to come home.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: JB63
It had to have been more than 3 seconds of signal loss before RTH kicked in. It was a good long time before it came back in range. It felt like a full minute but could have been 30 seconds.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

When it's happened to me I've always been a little higher than RTH height so all it has to do is yaw and start moving back, it maybe takes 8-10 seconds total. If it needs to go up 50-100 feet it would take longer. Seconds seem to be like minutes the first couple of times.

It's interesting to run a screen recorder and the compare the video on the ac against what you are seeing on the tx. After watching a few you figure out patience is golden. Just let the bird do its thing.

Sent from my SM-T817V using PhantomPilots mobile app

When it's happened to me I've always been a little higher than RTH height so all it has to do is yaw and start moving back, it maybe takes 8-10 seconds total. If it needs to go up 50-100 feet it would take longer. Seconds seem to be like minutes the first couple of times.
And hours seem like days, by the book.

I also have never used RTH. One thing i found when the screen tells me no signal and the RTH prompt comes up i hit cancel and toggle my cam settings from vid to cam or cam to vid and i get my signal back. Go fig

g lee

Anyone notice the screen camera aides such as grid lines disappear after a signal loss? Setting still shows them enabled and after battery change they show up again.
Go 3 3.1.3 on Android.

My advice to you is to read the manual for your drone on how to set up your RTH properly and go somewhere and practice it. Fine using Litchi missions etc and setting RTH as a simple default at mission end or loss of signal, but if you are using FPV in litchi or the go app and you lose signal back to the controller and have a blank screen, good luck getting your drone back if the height setting or your failure to activate RTH is not correct. And you may end up dumping the drone on someone's head. The RTH fails are predominantly operator error, you don't need to add to that list.
plus 1

Disclaimer: didn't read the thread.

I only use the RTM features when they are invoked automatically. To me, they are failsafe functions. If signal is lost, the drone finds its way back home, you are always free to cancel at anytime once signal been regained.

The fact that if I suddenly let go of the controls the drone will just come to a quick stop and hover until batteries are nearly dead then auto land is great if I should be in an instance where, assumably by accident or hazard, I can't pay attention to my connected craft.

One instance where I used RTH without loss off signal is too long a story to wrote but I a nutshell I suddenly HAD to pay attention to my immediate surroundings or risk personal harm, the drone was out over open water and Home Point was a safe spot in the open near the shore. I was able to press Return to home and immediately deal with my situation without significant worry for my UAS, it obediently just went home and landed. I could see all but the first moment or so of its 2 min return and landing.

All that being said, I find RTH an indispensable feature that every pilot should be familiar with.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT