RTH height question

From a regulation point the ground directly below the aircraft is where the reading is important. It's important to understand that the regulations were in place for MANNED aircraft in which the aircraft and the Pilot (aka operator) where at the same point always. But regardless the rule is Above Ground Level and that is basically directly under the aircraft. So if the mountain is 900' from base to the tip and you're at the base you can fly the contour of the terrain to cross the mountain maintaining the aircraft is always within 400' (as noted directly below the aircraft from an imaginary 400' string) of the mountain. Even though technically you would have to be at a MIN of 900' above the take off point you "could" still be within regulations (or community based guidelines depending on how you want to work it today). Now if you're flying over the peak (remember it's 900' above you) and you fly out horizontally over your head you have exceeded the safety guidelines.

That is what I was thinking but it's always good to have clarification. Thanks.

This is the site i was at. I lunched from the edge of the river. Bridge height is stated at 876 and 3030 feet across. I was flying over the river the app showing over 900 feet, View attachment 61249 so i guess i was outside the guidelines.
But only if you flew over the Middle of the bridge. Looks like a very steep incline on either side of the river.
Also wouldn't the bridge itself count as "ground level"?
A plane couldn't legally fly within 500' of the level of the bridge or road right? If you launched from either side of the bridge you'd legally be able to fly 400' above that.
Definitely a gray area....

The good thing we know the FAA reads these so maybe we will get ............................................................
..........................................................................................................................
.............................clarification

Reactions: NoWheels498
Also wouldn't the bridge itself count as "ground level"?
A plane couldn't legally fly within 500' of the level of the bridge or road right? If you launched from either side of the bridge you'd legally be able to fly 400' above that.
Definitely a gray area....
The good thing we know the FAA reads these so maybe we will get clarification
I think it's unlikely that the FAA bothers reading posts here and much more unlikely they would come in to clarify anything.

Here are the relevant FAA rules that apply to pilots of real planes:
§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA

why would you be at that altitude anyway? A bit pointless really, other than to just say you did it.
i normally don't unless i have a reason to. i was flying around this super tall building and it got behind the building before i even knew it. i don't know - gps might have been cutting out or something. i was able to get signal just enough to fly over the top of the building and just missed a big antenna. oops. lol

So this bears out what I thought- he's probably ok flying around that bridge up to ~400' over it- just keep an eye out for helicopters.
Because if he were to launch from the bridge level, that would be the "Ground" level.

i normally don't unless i have a reason to. i was flying around this super tall building and it got behind the building before i even knew it. i don't know - gps might have been cutting out or something. i was able to get signal just enough to fly over the top of the building and just missed a big antenna. oops. lol
Corey, I hate to rain on your parade man. But you really need to grow up a bit and think about the consequences of what you do. Wouldn't be so "lol" had you hit the antenna, or the building and your drone tumbled down the side and HIT someone or a car.
Can you stop and think it through, what might happen if you did this? Aside from the damage it may do, it could seriously injure or KILL someone.
And your parents would be on the hook for the liability, court and legal fees. F--ing HUGE sums of money...
Just think before you do.

A lot of your comments tell me you don't.

Corey, I hate to rain on your parade man. But you really need to grow up a bit and think about the consequences of what you do. Wouldn't be so "lol" had you hit the antenna, or the building and your drone tumbled down the side and HIT someone or a car.
Can you stop and think it through, what might happen if you did this? Aside from the damage it may do, it could seriously injure or KILL someone.
And your parents would be on the hook for the liability, court and legal fees. F--ing HUGE sums of money...

I agree. Be smart and safe, if your not - this fun will end, usually in a bad way.
It's enjoyable but don't ever forget what your operating - it can get dangerous very fast. These are not small $100-200 quad copters, these are powerful machines that can really cause damage and harm.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: pomonabill220

+1. Damage a power line and cause a service outage and see who pays the bill.

I've seen a several posts by this user and these types are one reason drone pilots get such a bad reputation. Reckless.

quick question - if I have my RTH height set at 500ft, but I'm flying at 1000ft when i lose signal, will it descend to 500ft first and then come back, or will it stay at 1000ft since i'm already up that high? i was flying around a building this weekend and lost signal for a second and started to wonder... i don't always remember to adjust my RTH height, but hoping it wouldn't descend if i'm already that high up.
It should return at the higher altitude. Not to act like the FAA police you are exceeding the required limit of 400' Max altitude. At 1000 feet you are putting yourself into private/commercial airspace. Help us out and don't give us another black eye for violating FAA guidelines.

Use your heads. The limit is in place to keep these hobby aircraft out of actual aircraft space. Knowing that a small aircraft is going to maintain his flight altitude AGL he is going to maintain it above the peaks and not follow the contour. So if you fly streight across from peak to peak an exceed the 400 brain wise you are going to stay out of the airspace and all will be safe.
He has to stay above the buildings and bridges too. Think safety and safely and be smart about it. Just don't try to beat the system it's there for a reason!

So this bears out what I thought- he's probably ok flying around that bridge up to ~400' over it- just keep an eye out for helicopters.
Because if he were to launch from the bridge level, that would be the "Ground" level.

No the bridge is a structure. It doesnt count towards AGL altitude. If you fly over a skyscraper or bridge, AGL is still measured from ground, not the roof or height of the structure. So legally, he can not fly 400' over the bridge, he probably cant even legally take off from the middle of the bridge, because he would immediately be >400' AGL (assuming the bridge is that high).

Now whether or not its actually dangerous, is something else. I wouldnt say so, but I would keep an eye out for any crazy pilots flying under that bridge (you know some will. I know some that have flown under bridges like that, and lower).

Now whether or not its actually dangerous, is something else.

Exactly.

You are legally allowed to jump from a plane without a parachute, but you are not allowed to jump from a plane with a only a single system base rig.

That is where common sense comes in.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT