RTH crashed my P2

Reaction score
Well, this was only my 5th FPV flight and I got too comfortable flying around terrain, I flew too low and went around a point on a lake, losing reception with my stock radio, the video shows what happened. The landowner next door to this was pissed too, accused me spying on her. REALLY??? I only found the craft because she was looking for it and her dogs were freaking out. I calmed her down :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKGm9oJBD7Q

It sure did find the dead center of that tree! Like magnets, they are! Speaking of which, you had some pretty nasty TBE there. I assume your Phantom hooks to the left when you try to fly straight? Have you seen this: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10317

If you have the issues, just say so there so we can keep track of how many of us there are.

ianwood said:
It sure did find the dead center of that tree! Like magnets, they are! Speaking of which, you had some pretty nasty TBE there. I assume your Phantom hooks to the left when you try to fly straight? Have you seen this: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10317

If you have the issues, just say so there so we can keep track of how many of us there are.

Ya my TBE comes and goes, sometimes its rock steady. I'm a fairly new pilot too. I'll try to do a compass calibration. thanks

Hindsight is wonderful.

Next time you loose fpv reception, whack in a load of altitude before activating RTH. That way it will maintain that height until it gets above the home point. Go up for a good 10-20 seconds and you would of had plenty of clearance above the trees and possibly not even needed to use RTH as once live of sight was established you would of got FPV reception back.

RockyMtnOutdoors said:
...the video shows what happened.
Ouch! not the best way to gain confidence in the RTH feature ;)

neiloakley said:
Next time you loose fpv reception, whack in a load of altitude before activating RTH. That way it will maintain that height until it gets above the home point. Go up for a good 10-20 seconds and you would of had plenty of clearance above the trees...
Great advice.

What was the extent of the damage to your P2?

neiloakley said:
Hindsight is wonderful.

Next time you loose fpv reception, whack in a load of altitude before activating RTH. That way it will maintain that height until it gets above the home point. Go up for a good 10-20 seconds and you would of had plenty of clearance above the trees and possibly not even needed to use RTH as once live of sight was established you would of got FPV reception back.

Thats exactly what I did as soon as i lost Video FPV reception, but unfortunately, I lost radio communication at the same time I lost FPV communication, so the 20 seconds of me giving it a pile of altitude did nothing, as it was already in "go home" mode. I was wondering why my video didn't come back on line after about 30 seconds, i thought, surely I am high enough now, but thats when I saw a flicker of video on my screen, the trees, and I could hear the crash though the audio. It just simply SUCKED. I learned my lesson, altitude is my friend ;)

You lost video AND control? Only looked like you were a few hundredeters away. I get almost a mile before control is lost.

neiloakley said:
You lost video AND control? Only looked like you were a few hundredeters away. I get almost a mile before control is lost.

Yes, that right, I lost both, you have to understand the local terrain I guess, There was a huge hill and a pile of houses and trees between me and the P2 once I went around that point on the lake, there was no way the 2.4 Ghz signal can curve around that, I did fly over a kilometer PAST this spot earlier in the day, when I was 200 meters up in elevation. The range when its not obstructed by hills and trees is fine, I even changed the radio batteries that day, even after this crash I fixed the one broken prop and went back out across the lake 1455 meters away, no problem. its just that in the crash I was in a bad spot.

Only damage was 1 cracked Carbon fiber prop and Zenmuse flimsy mount is bent up a bit. I might be able to bend it back.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Phantom was supposed to stop, rise 60 meters and then start it's return upon encountering a fail safe situation? Or am I mistaken?

Edit: found this...

If the PV is at an altitude above 20m, it will stay at that altitude, come to directly above home point, and land. It should miss any obstructions unless you have gone over them and descended to a lower altitude. If it is below 20m, it will climb to 20m and then come to your home point and land. If then there are obstructions higher than 20m in the way, they could be a problem.

Wish we could set the height to raise to in the assistant...

On a separate note - dig you try toggling your GPS switch to ATTI and back to take back control?

As far as using RTH/Failsafe, you were doomed from the beginning when you set your home point between 2 tall trees.

That's a mistake i'm sure you will learn from.

What is TBE?

I wish there was a way to set your own RTH height in the assistant *ahem.. Hint Hint, DJI*... Big trees up here in the Pacific North West.

Fdnyfish said:
What is TBE?

When your Phantom circles as if it is being flushed down the toilet. It's pretty appropriate in that many fly aways start with TBE. Caused by a significant disagreement between GPS and compass as to which way is forward.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing