RotorPixel Gimbal Technical Discussion

EricT said:
gunslinger said:
Cyclone said:
Not sure if anyone is interested in the extended legs for the Vision and RP Gimbal setup, but I found some on HobbyKing.

They are nearly 2 inches taller than the stock ones and almost identical. Price is low (roughly $7 delivered, and I hope it's not one of those "you get what you paid for" items) and has mixed reviews.

Im going to fit them (hopefully) at the weekend.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=54707

I'm eventually going to print (have printed) that set of snap on extenders. That way the bird will still fit in the case as it does now and just one more step is added to get her airborne and back in the box...

-slinger

I have the snap on extenders and the GoProfessional case, so the snap on extenders are the optimal solution for me.

Eric:

Do you have a 3D printer? Or did you get them printed at ShapeWays or a similar outfit? If so... might I ask approx. how much they were?

Thanks...
-slinger

Cyclone said:
Not sure if anyone is interested in the extended legs for the Vision and RP Gimbal setup, but I found some on HobbyKing.

They are nearly 2 inches taller than the stock ones and almost identical. Price is low (roughly $7 delivered, and I hope it's not one of those "you get what you paid for" items) and has mixed reviews.

I like those ! Now if they would come out with some with the V3 compass I would order now ! Guess I could always go back to the non-static one though as I haven't really seen no difference between them .

dirkclod said:
Cyclone said:

I like those ! Now if they would come out with some with the V3 compass I would order now ! Guess I could always go back to the non-static one though as I haven't really seen no difference between them .
That brings up a question: Is that new compass permanently attached to the leg? Can't be removed?

I haven't tried to remove it but the back part is molded into the leg .

Attachments

• V3 compass.jpg
    V3 compass.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 382
Ah, Ha! That does create a bit of a problem. Maybe snap on leg extenders instead.

gunslinger said:
Eric:

Do you have a 3D printer? Or did you get them printed at ShapeWays or a similar outfit? If so... might I ask approx. how much they were?

Thanks...
-slinger

Gunslinger, sorry for my tardy repsonse.....I hadn't read this forum in a while. What I bought was the "Dji Phantom Landing gear extensions (30mm)" from shapeways....quite pricey ($100CAD with shipping), but they work fine for me and it is easy to attach and detach. Here is the link:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/45SWFD ... ipped&cr=2

Guys, can you please point me to the thread where I can read about what software is the best to use with Rotorpixel board?
Thanks

Is anyone else having troubles getting a successful compass calibration after installing the latest 3.12 firmware. I am flying a P2V with Rotorpixel gimbal (early model).
I keep getting failed calibration with flashing red lights.
I started to wonder if the Rotorpixel gimbal was causing interference during the calibration so I unplugged power to the gimbal prior to powering up and the calibration was successful.
I have repeated the process several times and it fails when the gimbal is powered and is successful when not powered.
This has only happened since updating to 3.12 firmware.
Anyone else having same issue?

BManCan

Yesterday was clear enough but frigging cold also, but I spent 1 battery on 3.12. When I fired up, i received a "Caliabrate Compass" warning.

So. flip over to the DJI Vision App precheck button and proceed w Compass Cal. Failed three times, Spin - Green, Spin - flashing yellow / red...

Read further on instructions in App and it states 7 GPS sats necessary....

OK, set it down, wait a minute or two, then at 7+ sats repeat compass cal dance and all good!

It appears that Comp Cal is more sensitive in 3.12 Flyaway guard?

Wrong thread friend.....
RotorPixel Gimbal Technical Discussion is what this thread is about, sorry....

mad in nc said:
Yesterday was clear enough but frigging cold also, but I spent 1 battery on 3.12. When I fired up, i received a "Caliabrate Compass" warning.

So. flip over to the DJI Vision App precheck button and proceed w Compass Cal. Failed three times, Spin - Green, Spin - flashing yellow / red...

Read further on instructions in App and it states 7 GPS sats necessary....

OK, set it down, wait a minute or two, then at 7+ sats repeat compass cal dance and all good!

It appears that Comp Cal is more sensitive in 3.12 Flyaway guard?

BManCan said:
Is anyone else having troubles getting a successful compass calibration after installing the latest 3.12 firmware. I am flying a P2V with Rotorpixel gimbal (early model).
I keep getting failed calibration with flashing red lights.
I started to wonder if the Rotorpixel gimbal was causing interference during the calibration so I unplugged power to the gimbal prior to powering up and the calibration was successful.
I have repeated the process several times and it fails when the gimbal is powered and is successful when not powered.
This has only happened since updating to 3.12 firmware.
Anyone else having same issue?

BManCan

Maybe it is just me :(
Anyone?

I got the flashing red lights earlier. I turned off the Vision, back on again and got a lock.

similar to cyclone... the very first compass calibration i did after 3.12 i got a red flashing fail. i power cycled it and recalibrated and it worked fine since then. ive had 3 or 4 flights since then but since i do not calibrate my compass for each flight (only with software updates or other material changes in craft or location) so i am not sure if i will have future calibration issues. i am certain it had never given me a compass calibration error previous to 3.12.

This is in response to a previous question about what software to use:

Please follow these steps to re-format the gimbal control board and sensor:

1. Download the files here: http://bit.ly/1qKhLxD
2. Install the USB driver first.
3. Run the gimbal software (SimpleBGC_GUI.exe).
4. Disconnect motors and pitch control cables from the gimbal control
board, and take note of the orientation of the cables. Only the
multi-coloured IMU
cable should be connected to the gimbal control board board now.
5. Connect the gimbal control board to your computer via any mini-USB cable.
6. Select the appropriate COM PORT in the drop down menu from the box
in the top left, and click CONNECT.
7. If it gives you an error stating a mismatch of the firmware with
the GUI, then proceed with steps 8-10. If no error occurs, and the
live read-outs on the right side of the screen are active when you
move the camera, then skip to step 11.

8. Run "XLoader.exe, select the correct COM PORT, and select
"SimpleBGC_2_40b7.enc.hex", then click "Upload".
9. The green light on the gimbal control board should go out for a few
seconds, and in the XLoader program it will eventually say "Upload
failed" - this is normal!
10. Now, try clicking "CONNECT" in the gimbal control software again,
and it should connect properly.

11. Click "Load" in the top right of the screen, and select "RPG-FC200.profile"
12. Click "Write" in the bottom right of the screen.
13. Rigidly secure the camera in a perfectly horizontal orientation
(might be easier without the camera installed), and click the "Calib
ACC" button once, then wait 5 seconds for the calibration to occur.
14. Click "Disconnect" in the top left, and reconnect the motor cables
in their appropriate positions/orientations.
15. Make sure that the camera is installed, and then try powering the
system up again.

Thanks,

Keri

My Rotopixel doesn't seem consistent. Some startups it will intialize almost instant, other times it can take close to a minute. Then it will act ok for a short flight and then it will get the jitters. I thought it was the dampers but adjustment of them seems to create no change. The balance is good. Also received and early alert of lost signal from about 20 meters. Any input or assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

My Rotopixel doesn't seem consistent. Some startups it will intialize almost instant, other times it can take close to a minute. Then it will act ok for a short flight and then it will get the jitters. I thought it was the dampers but adjustment of them seems to create no change. The balance is good. Also received and early alert of lost signal from about 20 meters. Any input or assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

It may be that a cable or something else is catching on the camera. It only takes the slighest whisper of a touch to send the gimbal into gyrations. Test it by powering up the P2V and watching for anything touching the camera. Start with the camera in different positions. Then try moving the P2V around and watch how the gimbal reacts. If it is something interfering with the gimbal, you should be able to narrow down what it is by figuring out when it affects tge gimbal.

-- Roger

Reactions: Skipholiday
It may be that a cable or something else is catching on the camera. It only takes the slighest whisper of a touch to send the gimbal into gyrations. Test it by powering up the P2V and watching for anything touching the camera. Start with the camera in different positions. Then try moving the P2V around and watch how the gimbal reacts. If it is something interfering with the gimbal, you should be able to narrow down what it is by figuring out when it affects tge gimbal.

-- Roger
I will check for obstructions. I removed one zip tie that was binding. thank you

Another issue and I don't understand but its more difficult to calibrate the compass.
before the RP install I would do the compass dance and no issue at all.
Now when I do the dance it takes several tries to get the amber light, then the first turn goes green with no issue but never a flashing green as before. It stops at steady green.
I can't see how it can be an installer error. Everything seems straight foraward.

Any help?

Thanks

Might be another tread in here on setting one of these up and if it is just show me !
Just got this in today and got it doing ok after I took the lens filter off but noticed when watching a test clip I was off center . Do I adjust this by just sliding the bracket over behind the camera ?
off center.jpg

Say to center it up with the usb port ?

it is suppose to be off center, you may need to level it.
Might be another tread in here on setting one of these up and if it is just show me !
Just got this in today and got it doing ok after I took the lens filter off but noticed when watching a test clip I was off center . Do I adjust this by just sliding the bracket over behind the camera ?
View attachment 16517
Say to center it up with the usb port ?

Reactions: dirkclod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart