Rotating phone/tablet for better video stream.

Reaction score
I watched a YouTube video on getting a stronger video feed and one thing that was talked about was making sure your phone/tablet is positioned correctly in the holder.

He said that the home button should always be on the left hand side when in the cradle. I had placing my tablet with the home button on the right and I was getting out around 1,700 - 2,200ft before I would lose the video feed.

For the heck of it I switched my tablet around and gave it a test flight and wouldn’t you know that I was still getting a video feed a little past 3,000 ft. I don’t have any idea why or how this makes a difference but wanted to share this in case it makes a difference for you.

I was flying my
296A791F-8BE9-4A5A-933E-7BBC0507B669.png
Phantom 3 Std with the stock antenna.

Here is a screenshot at 3,300 feet.

Reactions: trevornewkirk
He said that the home button should always be on the left hand side when in the cradle. I had placing my tablet with the home button on the right and I was getting out around 1,700 - 2,200ft before I would lose the video feed.
This makes absolutely zero sense. The RTH button is ALWAYS on the left, regardless of orientation of the tablet. Changing the orientation will not change that. If what you say is true then you have been flying with the display completely upside down.

I had placing my tablet with the home button on the right
This is the only way it can be on the right. Surely you were not flying that way.
Go Screen1.png

You are talking about the home button on your I Pad?
That is what I gathered from the OP's statement. Why else would he put up a screen shot???

I think he means the physical home button of the cellphone/tablet. Not the RTH buttom inside the app.

The app orientation changed no matter which way you install your device.
Can you explain that farther? By "Physical" I mean, I have not used GO for a very long time to fly with. Did I miss something?

Reactions: Nesher
Can you explain that farther? By "Physical" I mean, I have not used GO for a very long time to fly with. Did I miss something?
It has nothing to do with the app. It's the way you set your phone in the holder. It interferes less with the wifi signal between the RC and AC, or so is the claim of the OP.
Screenshot_20190317-202309_Gallery.jpg

It interferes less with the wifi signal between the RC and AC, or so is the claim of the OP.
That makes more sense, but still makes no sense to the orientation. The placement of the device "home" button should be completely irrevalent. There is nothing there that would increase or decrease range issues. Sounds like pure farse to me. One would think that if that was what the OP was referring to, they would have shown the area as you did as opposed to an app screenshot. That made things totally confusing.

The screen shot was just to show his distance.
And?........ Why?.......... That was not the OP's question on the "home" button, the range was a statement. Waste of a post since it was not detailed in the explanation. Drives me nuts when people do this. And for the record, this seems to be happening more and more over the past year. I suppose it has become a "trend" for the future.

• Haha
Reactions: grego122
@Tkoglin .... Please read ALL the above and explain in a weeee bit more detail. We are all guessing as to what you are referring to. Otherwise it is a mute point.

With range extenders to fly further, switching your tablet around to get increased video feed from further out I have to ask this question. I have 20/20 vision but can only maintain VLOS for about 1600 ft, is there really a bionic eye that lets you see further? I want to know the secret cause I want to be legal like everyone else. Thanks in advance.

With range extenders to fly further, switching your tablet around to get increased video feed from further out I have to ask this question. I have 20/20 vision but can only maintain VLOS for about 1600 ft, is there really a bionic eye that lets you see further? I want to know the secret cause I want to be legal like everyone else. Thanks in advance.
Just to note: That wasn't his point.
"I want to be legal like everyone else." In reality, I have run into a few other's flying their drones and they were all beyond vlos. With all the talk about range and the sells of mods for the rc units, I think you are a minority.
Are we living in reality? We need to quit kidding ourselves. Probably should be in another post?

Just to note: That wasn't his point.
"I want to be legal like everyone else." In reality, I have run into a few other's flying their drones and they were all beyond vlos. With all the talk about range and the sells of mods for the rc units, I think you are a minority.
Are we living in reality? We need to quit kidding ourselves. Probably should be in another post?

So are you’re saying the majority of hobbyists/commercial sUAS are breaking the rules?

Your statement wasn't to what the post was about.
You made the statement "like everybody else". Everybody!
My statement, was about "everyone" I saw fly was beyond VLOS. Yes.

That is not an answer to my question. You said I was in the minority because I abide by VLOS. So are you saying the majority of hobbyists/commercial sUAS PIC’s are breaking the rules.

General Rules
We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that people want to visit repeatedly. The Phantom Pilots Forum should be a virtual reflection of how we all hope the community of Phantom enthusiasts would act in the real world. Treat each other with respect just as you would if you were meeting in person for coffee before enjoying a day of flying together in shared airspace. This is a community of friends and partners who are collaborating to encourage and support a growing Phantom Quadcopter community.

• 1. Our rules extend to all sections of the website including private messaging.

2. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.

3. Do not post libelous remarks or misleading information.

4. Stay on topic by keeping discussions relevant and on-track

Maybe it's because the iPad wifi antenna doesn't interfere that much when it's situated on the other side of the controller?

Did you also try the same test with airplane mode (wifi and cellular off) on you iPad? If that also gives you this range, I think the answer is wireless intereference.

If this works for you, always place it with the home button to the left. As some of the persons here mention, flying that far is not within VLOS but sometimes even flying close to you has choppy video. So this setup should help you flying without any interference!

Reactions: Greybush

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumperswaves