Rookie nerves...

Reaction score
I am finally getting comfortable flying above 20', taking things slow as I learn the controls and use FPV while I fly. So far I have been staying at a local park and staying basically directly over my head. This weekend I flew her up at home to get shots of our neighborhood covered in snow.

The house shaped like an L is mine (we are building a new addition :D ) and you can tell that I was still staying *almost* directly overhead.... Can someone show me on this picture how far out I should be able to go? Rookie nerves are killing me! haha

I should probably add that I am flying a Phantom 1.1.1, Naza-M V2, DJI part 25 upgraded circuit board v3

Last edited:
2ea1baaa3c2ba7aa674cb2da6441229e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

2ea1baaa3c2ba7aa674cb2da6441229e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Although a little difficult to judge distance due to the fish eye effect in your photo, I would say quite a ways out. You will always have the RTH feature should you get lost. Experiment! Average distance for a stock P2 with Wifi is approximately 3200 ft. Depending on weather conditions. Even us seasoned pilots still get jitters because we know what go's up must come down. Your P1 should do approximately 1000ft. If you are still unsure, just fly VLOS and move your distance a little further out as needed. For what it's worth, I would say you could make it to the large building and it's parking lot in the upper left of your photo. Good Luck!!

Last edited:
Reactions: GMayberry
I think I would be extremely nervous that far, but I will inch it over more and more gradually! ;)

If you don't mind, I have a few more questions I will PM you.

I think I would be extremely nervous that far, but I will inch it over more and more gradually! ;)

If you don't mind, I have a few more questions I will PM you.

You just need to do what you just said here.... just take it out a little further each time and when you get comfortable... go a little further. I had the same jitters - and now I don't think twice about going fairly far out. It's a balance of seeing the bird in the sky, using the FPV and getting used to the map... all three of those things will help you gain confidence over time.

Be safe and have fun :)

I just need to quit over thinking this and go fly! lol There are so many areas around here that I would love to get pictures and video of that I am not able to drive right up to, and I am too afraid of losing it off in the distance. RTH is great to have, but it's a large trust factor there.

I feel your rookie nerves. I've slowly been working my way flying over water in the Everglades where if I lose connection or it goes down I most likely lose the unit altogether. I've definitely put in work in a park out back (not over water)...it's just building the confidence, especially when you read a lot of post about flyaways, etc. But everything has been rock solid so far and I've been very impressed. Good luck in your future flights!

Add a tracker to it and learn to trust RTH .It does work and Has saved me more times than I can count .

especially when you read a lot of post about flyaways, etc.

Yes! Those posts don't help matters at all, but I read somewhere on here recently a "fact" about how many quads are in use now, how many members are on here posting, and how many of those members have had fly aways, and the end result was that only like 1.??% of users have a fly away. Obviously it isn't solid research as far as numbers are concerned, and we could never assume that every person that has had a fly away has posted about it on here, but still that was somewhat reassuring! haha

I plan to order a tracker this week actually. Any suggestions?
Well you see what I use in my signature and there are so many to consider .Everyone has a favorite .
Look in my search in my sig. and look at all the options as there's more threads on these that I can count .
It really depends on where you are at ,what service you use and how much you wanna pay .
I never fly without mine and has paid off .I have one on my P3S just incase something happens in the flight log .
As far as flyaways I have only had one and it was my fault and I panicked .

I hate it when a post goes bad :eek: lol
Yeop! To many conversations at once can squirrel your brain LOL..o_O To many threads and forums open at once?
yeop that will do it!! It's all in good fun and knowledge though.. :cool:

Reactions: dirkclod
Yeop! To many conversations at once can squirrel your brain LOL..o_O To many threads and forums open at once?
yeop that will do it!! It's all in good fun and knowledge though.. :cool:
Sorry for the OT post but why isn't your blue in your sig not a link

Sorry for the OT post but why isn't your blue in your sig not a link
Because, I am still awaiting for possible Approved Vendor Status And linking it now would break forum rules.

Reactions: dirkclod
Is it bad that I didn't even think twice about it being in here and not on a PM until you said something about it? I guess my brain is gone for the day as well!! haha!!
What's really bad is when you think your in a conversation and say something you wouldn't post and then hit submit and it is a post and then when you realize and try and delete it someone has quoted it and there you are :)
Been there :rolleyes:
Hope you get approved Blue Bird :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl