Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Roll Arm Replacement

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by Bob Langlois, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Bob Langlois

I crashed my P3 Standard and wrecked the yaw and roll arms. I have found all kinds of help on YouTube about replacing the yaw arm and ribbon cable. I haven't found anything about the roll arm. I have the parts on order. Has anyone done this or found any instructions? The ring holding the motor cracked. The motor came out but seems to be undamaged. I will need to press it into the new roll arm and would like to know if it is just pressed in, or is it held in with some kind of adhesive. I could also use some instruction on gimbal motor assembly and disassembly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The crash was a really stupid move on my part. Overconfidence after many successful Litchi missions.
    Thanks for all of the great posts on this forum.

Bob

2. Ted4797

Go back to YouTube and find the one by Bock. It may be for a p3 pro but it is the same procedure. I do these for a living and ca help if u want. The roll arm is pressed in mostly. A little red locktite would not hurt if it is not tight. You should get a plastic tool used to line up the yaw and roll.

Bob Langlois likes this.
  3. Bob Langlois

Thank you for the reply. The parts that I have on order come with a plastic alignment tool. Strangely, I find myself looking forward the the repair job. Thanks also for the locktite suggestion.

4. Mocho

Hi Bob, hope you don't mind if I piggy back on your post.

Ted, have you seen where the original roll/yaw arms have been bent without breaking or cracking?

After I backed my bird into the side of a hill I found it difficult to put the stock gimbal holder on. I always found it a little tricky to attach it (tight), but now it seems even harder (too tight). The camera works fine (other than the horizon is rarely even, from new) but it looks like the roll arm may be slightly bent, and looking at the whole thing with a magnifier I can't see any cracks. I don't want to take it apart if I don't have to!

TIA

5. Ted4797

The short answer is yes. However If it works I would leave it alone.

6. Mocho

Thank You for your response Ted.

Maybe once winter hits I'll take it apart and see if that roll arm is actually bent :)

Being a Phantom Tech do you know of any tricks (or things to do other than the normal stuff DJI tells everyone) to get the horizon to be even all the time? I personally think the uneven horizon is due to the bird not leveling the camera when there is a slight wind, however I don't have a lot of experience with Quad-copters yet.

Thanks Again...

7. Ted4797

That is an issue with a lot of cameras Even new ones. I can adjust the roll motor and get rid of it but it is not easy.

8. Ohiowoodsman

As long as u don't force anything u should be fine. Good luck n let us know

Bob Langlois likes this.
  9. Ohiowoodsman

Isn't it also sometimes do to out of level camera calibration?

10. Mocho

Yes doing an IMU calibration then gimbal cal. are all things that SHOULD fix the problem. But they have not helped in my case :(

11. Ohiowoodsman

Your probably right then, it's tweaked