Return to Home

Quite normal on the P3S, which is why I also pick a RTH location that is clear of obstacles in a fairly sizable radius around the home location. Of course, you can always control your P3S while it is descending in RTH mode, so even if it is off, it's not necessarily a major problem if you can see it coming down.

I often let my P3S RTH and then cancel it when the landing descent starts. On Sunday I decided for the first time to let it continue until it landed. I was watching it all the way down as I was about 5 meters from a river and structures about 3 meters away on the other side. I was quite amazed to see that it landed just over 1 meter from the home point.

GPS accuracy is anywhere from zero to 10m .... it is not a constant figure and varies over time.
If you have a plotter - and leave it in a location for an hour or so - you will see the position plots dotted all over the vicinity.

GPS receivers average out position calculations to try and achieve best results. Many navigation receivers can be user set for averaging ...

Car navigation sets use what is termed "nearest road correction" ... and is why when setting user preferences it asks if off-road allowed.
Watch when using a skip road or intersection with gradual split ... your icon can jump from one lane to another.

Basically what I am illustrating is that GPS is not the pin point tool people think it is.

Military of course use a parallel signal of far greater accuracy not available to public.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl