Return to home button won't work

Reaction score
Hi new machine nearly lost today over busy road. This is only the second time I have used the return home button. The first the quad went a bit wonky and I managed to override on the tablet screen! This second time it went completely berserk going straight up then off over a neighbour's property. I could not get control back. I kept trying while it bounced off a house under construction . I finally managed to run after it
as it came down again I grabbed the landing gear and switched off. Help. I have had the on screen choice to return and that works fine. It's as if the main button to return home is programmed wrong.

Hi new machine nearly lost today over busy road. This is only the second time I have used the return home button. The first the quad went a bit wonky and I managed to override on the tablet screen! This second time it went completely berserk going straight up then off over a neighbour's property. I could not get control back. I kept trying while it bounced off a house under construction . I finally managed to run after it
as it came down again I grabbed the landing gear and switched off. Help. I have had the on screen choice to return and that works fine. It's as if the main button to return home is programmed wrong.
To work out what was happening you'd have to look at the flight data.
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone can look into it for you.
btw .. you can override the RTH function quickly by pushing the RTH button

It's as if the main button to return home is programmed wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought the same the first time I used the RTH button on the controller but I found that you have to press the button for a couple of seconds until you here the beep

Help. I have had the on screen choice to return and that works fine. It's as if the main button to return home is programmed wrong.

You may want to download the users manual from DJI's website and read through it in order to understand how to use the drone. This may be the source of most of your issues.

The RTH button isn't user programmable.

You need to press the button in and hold it down in order to activate the return. If you were just tapping the button, that could be your problem.

Or.. there could have been a problem with your GPS readings... As mentioned above, you really need to see the flight logs to see what was wrong.

And, did you notice if your home point set or was she going to "another" home point from as previous flight?
I remember having an issue like this, on my 2nd or 3rd flight, I then decided to read the manual

And, did you notice if your home point set or was she going to "another" home point from as previous flight?
I remember having an issue like this, on my 2nd or 3rd flight, I then decided to read the manual

I have to admit also that I had the same instance with the RTH button. After reading the manual a second time I guess the information on how the RTH button worked finally sunk in. No issues since.

I guess I was just in a hurry to fly, like most of us are. But when people say to read the manual.......and then to read it AGAIN......they are correct. There is a lot of information there that some of us miss. Yep, like me too. [emoji30]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Press the home button can do some rather arcane stuff. You hold the button down....it beeps, then keeps beeping softly while RTH is active. In the meantime, there's a lag before the drone starts doing anything, and then when it does, it tends to do so briskly. It can be a little alarming as it's not always clear what is happening. Reading the manual helps of course, but a little experience with it is more important. I recommend a nice big open field, fly more than 20 yards away, then push and hold the button to familiarize yourself.

I think that DJI could have maybe cleaned up the RTH process a little in one of their many firmware updates. I wish they put as much thought and effort into RTH as they apparently have in the NFZ concept.

I've used the RTH button and had no issues, press and hold and it will show you on screen that RTH has been activated. Just make sure if you do use the RTH button you are more than 25 metres away otherwise it will just land where it is and you might not want that.
Happy Flying [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Press the home button can do some rather arcane stuff. You hold the button down....it beeps, then keeps beeping softly while RTH is active. In the meantime, there's a lag before the drone starts doing anything, and then when it does, it tends to do so briskly. It can be a little alarming as it's not always clear what is happening. Reading the manual helps of course, but a little experience with it is more important. I recommend a nice big open field, fly more than 20 yards away, then push and hold the button to familiarize yourself.

That's what I did when I needed to prove to myself that the RTH button and system worked.

Large flat field. Fly it out 50 yards or so. Press and hold button and wait. Yes, that climb to 100 feet was dramatic but it did come back to me and land. Missed the takeoff spot by nine inches, but I can live with that.

Still waiting for the wind to calm down before trying ATTI.

AD

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

One major point to note is you set your RTH height HIGHER that anything between you and where your flying so it doesn't have the potential to crash into it. The P4 should avoid it but I would rather not take the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen