Rescuing another drone from a roof - any advice?

Reaction score
Hi folks,

A guy in our local drone flying club has posted this evening on our FB page saying he has crashed his FPV racing quad onto a flat roof of a sports centre near where we stay. I'm going to pop over tomorrow with my Phantom and do a recce of the roof to see if we can locate its position. If we can find it I'm not sure what our options are. Has anyone here managed to use their Phantom to retrieve another quad from a roof or tree? If so, how did you do it?

I've viewed a few videos on Youtube where folk using contraptions like string with hooks or coat hangers at the bottom have managed to snag the stricken quadcopter and pick it up off the roof. But I'm concerned of getting my own Phantom stuck if I go down that route so I guess I'm looking for any tips on how to perhaps go about this especially from anyone who has tried it previously.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Oh and ladders 'might' be an option, possibly the safer option. But still curious to hear if anyone has suggestions of some other way to retrieve it using my own Phantom.

Reactions: Jayfdee
That's certainly one of my concerns. I believe it to be stuck on a flat roof which makes things slightly simpler......still risky though.

Could try to ask the sports place. If it's a flat roof it probably has an access hatch with a permanent ladder. Take a look with the phantom and make sure it's up there then see what they say. Lots easier then trying to explaine to the police why you are on the roof with a ladder

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Could try to ask the sports place. If it's a flat roof it probably has an access hatch with a permanent ladder. Take a look with the phantom and make sure it's up there then see what they say. Lots easier then trying to explaine to the police why you are on the roof with a ladder

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'm pretty sure this is the option we may go with. Recce with the Phantom to confirm its up there then go down that route, yeah. I'm a Watch Commander in the fire and rescue service so I do know most of the local police officers but I can't envisage it coming to the cops attending.

I use a name tag lanyard between the UAV and the treble hook. This way if you get hooked on a wire or fixture, you can yank yourself free.

If you are doing a rescue (use GPS mode) and you get snagged, the UAV will start to compensate for the snag. The UAV will soon over compensate and get out of control

I use a name tag lanyard between the UAV and the treble hook. This way if you get hooked on a wire or fixture, you can yank yourself free.

If you are doing a rescue (use GPS mode) and you get snagged, the UAV will start to compensate for the snag. The UAV will soon over compensate and get out of control

So are you saying don't use GPS mode, but fly in ATTI instead to eliminate the drone compensating for the lag? Also, what is a name tag lanyard?

No luck, myself and another FDC member had a good look around the rooftops with our Phantoms this afternoon but sadly there isn't a Storm racing drone to be seen anywhere. At least he knows its defo not up there now!
1f44d.png
(y)

He found it!! Amazing, it had took off on its own out of sight for almost a mile and landed on the roof of a house. He went over to the house to pick it up this afternoon. Weird how we came to know about it being there, the other guy from our drone club who was there with me this afternoon searching for it got a text from his wife saying a friend of a friend in the area said she had found a drone on her roof. How lucky was that??!!!! No real damage, bit grubby and needing properly dried out but not too bad considering:-

martindrone1.jpg

Reactions: V tail

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl