Replacing a motor

Reaction score
Not sure what happened to one of my motors but it won't spin like it should, just sort of does spastic, little jerks instead of spinning.

It's possible I did some damage to it in the process of removing my prop guards... I had one removed and started to replace the screws (they were not tightened back in all the way though) before someone on the forum warned me to be sure to use the old, shorter screws. In my opinion, crappy design if this can so easily happen, but anyway.

I see motors for these for sale on ebay for about $30 or so, and I might sell this bird at a huge loss or may consider having someone else (who does electronic repairs) install a new motor for me.

But I have questions about these motors.... I don't want to buy one and find it isn't somehow compatible, so any one who knows about this let me have the warnings now before I do more damage. :)

Thanks.

Hello again,
Sorry to hear that happened. Sounds like you're having one hell of a time getting started. Hopefully all that is behind you now.

A motor swap isn't a difficult task. You don't even have to solder, although I would recommend doing so.

Where on this planet are you?

I don't shop ebay much, but here's a link to Amazon. When shopping for parts, I make sure I am buying Genuine DJI and read the reviews, and Q&A's.
http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-P...TF8&qid=1427826913&sr=8-1&keywords=fc40+motor

Thanks, yeah my luck is so bad most of the time I think my name is Murphy.

I have some ads up to sell the thing but already ordered a motor off ebay which appears to be the correct one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301243585078?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I took my first ride of this season on a new bike and stopped to visit my mechanic who said he could give me a hand with installing the motor... he has RC copters.

I can only assume it was the screw that messed up the motor, but that incident made me hate tinkering even more. Probably get the motor next week and then we'll see. I still might want to upgrade but would like to wait until I get some use from this DJI over the summer.

Attachments

• P1000502.JPG
    P1000502.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 297
Well, if your luck is that bad, I am really surprised you ride a bike.

This might sound silly, but did you order the motor that turns in the proper direction?

Maybe you could post your ad in classifieds here.

Reactions: claws
Yes I got the one with the correct threads/direction.

Bad luck ain't going to stop me from living... well it might eventually but until then :)

Reactions: claws
I was bored and tired of waiting for two people to give me a hand installing the new motor, so I went ahead and did it myself. Instead of unsoldering the old wires I cut them long enough that I could splice them to the new ones. I currently have no soldering stuff.

So with no props on, started it up indoors and it appears the motors are all running OK, but have to wait for rain to stop to do a real test outdoors. Seems likely I'll be airborne again.

Just a thought...
The very first time I flew my Phantom, I tethered it on a 6 inch leash.
Actually it was done with 4 long zip-ties, one at each corner of the landing gear.

That sounds scary to me... I went out in between the raindrops and it seems fine. I would have rather soldered the wires, but they are crammed in a pretty small space spliced with tape on them, I doubt they will go anywhere. Not a dry enough moment to really test if it descending more smoothly now without the prop guards, or to really test a new camera. Supposed to be rainy all week.

Reactions: cory nigri
Well I got a chance to fly it at least until my 2 batteries ran out, I am getting about 12 min. each with the camera attached.

Descent is still choppy at times even with the prop guards off. I just think that is how it reacts to wind aloft. Doesn't always do it and some times are worse than others as well as the speed of descent making a difference. No crashes.

I have another set of unused props, if I feel like it I might try them out and see if there is a difference. doesn't bother me that much, if I want to make a video I can reverse the ascent. Had her up pretty high this time.

Attachments

• 2015-04-07.JPG
    2015-04-07.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 373
Yep, being tied down is scary. You really have to trust whoever does the tying. :D

Great news, EXCEPT for the wires being taped together. Solder and shrink tubing is really popular around here. I just think you're setting yourself up for failure, the kind that comes plummeting to earth with a bang and a buncha money tossed out the window.

I really am happy to hear you are flying and the bird isn't acting up on you, but at least get butt or crimp connectors. I don't suggest either, unless it's to replace twist and tape. I assume you twisted the wires together.
It'll probably last for years and someone will chime in and say I'm being stupid. Just sharing what little I know, in an attempt to help.

Thanks for the opinion

Of course I know solder would be ideal... don't happen to have any or tools here to use it and I'm too far from anywhere to go shopping and wanted it done. They aren't "taped together", they are pigtail spliced and then wrapped in tape and pretty snug in there. I'm not fond of fiddling with microscopic screws so I doubt I'll open it up again unless I feel I have no choice.

I am pretty sure I won't be flying this same bird for "years" ... maybe not even months, we'll see. I want something else already.

It could drop in the ocean or the trees or fly off for any one of a million reasons, I accepted that when I invested the money in it so I'd be disappointed but that's life. :)

Cool,

I bought a magnifying head thingamabob so I could see what I am doing. I know what you mean about messing with the tiny stuff. Glad it's all working out.

Enjoy

Hello again,
Sorry to hear that happened. Sounds like you're having one hell of a time getting started. Hopefully all that is behind you now.

A motor swap isn't a difficult task. You don't even have to solder, although I would recommend doing so.

Where on this planet are you?

I don't shop ebay much, but here's a link to Amazon. When shopping for parts, I make sure I am buying Genuine DJI and read the reviews, and Q&A's.
http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-P...TF8&qid=1427826913&sr=8-1&keywords=fc40+motor
Isn't this the same part but much cheaper?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...tJJu8PKs2UBTJgxoC0c3w_wcB&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I need to know as I have one dodgy motor to replace and I'm "frugal :)

Yep, that's it. Great find. Cheapest I've seen on Amazon is 17 bucks. That's not there anymore, now it;s 20.
Pays to shop around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18