Replace Top Shell or not

Reaction score
Long story in condensed version: Sold Phantom 4 to colleague who didn't pay nor learn to fly P4 before I could teach. Drone wrecked since RTH height not set and returned to me with no money. Fortunately, it appears that only major damage is a destroyed motor and a small puncture to the top shell. Based on the multiple threads and youtube videos, it appears fairly simple to change the motor. It looks like a major pain to change the top shell, not to mention it is $60 for a replacement shell. I'm not planning on "selling" the P4 again and the cosmetics don't bother me much - especially if I just put a skin on it. But, I'm indecisive on what I should do and looking for some opinions. My thoughts:
  1. Since I have to do about 50% of the disassembly to replace the motor, now would be the time to change the shell.
  2. If there is some safety issue with not fixing it, then it is a no brainer - but, I'm not aware of why there should be such an issue.
  3. If I were to sell the P4, I would automatically change the shell, but I'm not.
  4. I am going to replace another motor that seems to have slight resistance, so, my total repair investment for motors is $45 versus $150 if I replace the entire shell when including new screws.
  5. I am tentatively planning on introducing my 16 y/o daughter to the enjoyment of flying a UAV by gifting this to her, so, again, I don't want to have the possibility of any safety or performance issues.
Any opinions or experience would be appreciated.

PS: I'm not concerned about the actual technical aspects of repair as I have been building and repairing computers, cell phones, lap tops and virtually any other electronic devices for over 30 years. However, an extra hour of time spent on a needless repair is very valuable to me.

FWIW, just been through the same tear down etc. Replacing 2 motors requires 80% of the effort and top shell only is cheap given the cost of your time...I'd do the shell as well...

PS do the solder motor solution instead of cutting the wires.

Reactions: steen6673
If your colleague is a gentleman, he should be prepared to absorb the repair cost.

Hope the repair is limited to motors and the shell but you never know. Phantom is a delicate equipment and anything can go wrong after it hits the ground.

Reactions: steen6673
Thank you all for the advice. I did as you mentioned and ordered the new shell. That is what I was leaning to, but it is nice to get affirmation from others. Unfortunately, the colleague is an employee of mine which made the situation delicate. I'm absorbing the cost and time as a punishment for myself. I know better than to sell anything to a friend or employee. My enthusiasm for sharing our wonderful hobby clouded my judgement.

If the top shell is damaged, I would replace it as well.
Scrutinize the bottom shell as well. It is possible that it is bend, which could lead to cracks later. If you find any damages I would replace both.
It is very noble of you to pay for someone else's fault, but did you explain your situation to your colleague?

Reactions: JohnnyD913
Thank you all for the advice. I did as you mentioned and ordered the new shell. That is what I was leaning to, but it is nice to get affirmation from others. Unfortunately, the colleague is an employee of mine which made the situation delicate. I'm absorbing the cost and time as a punishment for myself. I know better than to sell anything to a friend or employee. My enthusiasm for sharing our wonderful hobby clouded my judgement.
your only mistake was extending credit for the purchase.

The guy who crashed the drone probably has a new saying "My boss is a ****" man he would not wanna work for me anymore.

Hope you get it fixed and it doesn't set you back to far.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart