Remote Battery Finally Available?

Yip bad link mine like this
Screenshot_20181122-181740.jpg

Screenshot_20181122-182049.jpg
,,these batteries are larger than original but they have made space inside the remote for it,,,,the only way you get original small batt is to buy another remote,,,dji won't sell original ,unknown why,,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181122-182049.jpg
    Screenshot_20181122-182049.jpg
    635.3 KB · Views: 262
  • Screenshot_20181122-182105.jpg
    Screenshot_20181122-182105.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 201
Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Hi GaryDZ

I replaced my Phantom 3 Pro battery a year ago with a 4500 Ma battery that came with a Balance connector, I did not connect the balance lead to anything, just charged the battery through the power terminals. ( I posted the whole repair operation somewhere on here ).

I pulled the original RC battery apart and found that encased within the battery pack was a circuit board with a number of IC's mounted on it, tracing the circuit lead me to believe that the two separate 3.6 V LiPo cells were and regulated through that board.

The LiPo that I fitted probably did not have an onboard circuit to do the cell balancing, ( hence the need for a balance connector that battery ), non the less I have charged that battery many times without problems.

Periodically I remove the LiPo and check the cell voltages, they are generally within 0.3 to 0.5 volts difference, so no big deal, and because I have the Battery out of the RC, I do connect it to a balance charger just to even things out.

As the battery that you are looking at does not seem to have a balance lead, we could presume that there may well be an inbuilt balance circuit, so no worries.

I would not hesitate to use the battery that you list, but what I would do is install it, and turn on the RC use a rubber band to hold each joy stick into its maximum position and every half hour or so rotate the sticks. I'm not sure that you need to do this to the joysticks, because I think the RC is always transmitting it's carrier signal when it is switched on, the only thing it is not doing is processing the down-link and video.

And anyway if you ensure for the first couple of flights that you have a nice clear landing site and have the RTH set even if the RC went dead the Bird would fly home.

Ah I found my post, check this out it may help....

Phantom 3 RC LiPo battery repair

Waylander

For some reason I could not get my link to work properly.
Thanks for the post Waylander.

You can actually replace the LiPo in the Controller with a standard LiPo of similar capacity / cell count without the DJI board. It would then be advised to have the balance lead led outside case to allow a balance charger to charge it. You can buy small balance lead only chargers for anywhere from $10 (1A rate 2 - 3S) up to about $40 (max 3A 2 - 6S). That would be the only limiting factor - the AMPS you can push through a balance plug ... generally rated at max 3A. I would advise NOT to use the original case charging point.

The original battery used by DJI is of weird dimensions and hard to find ... plus it has doubled main lead which no-one can explain !.

Nigel

I don't want to bugger up the remote. If needed I will replace it with the one I unsuccessfully tried to link to and is shown by ianzone in post #4.

Hi Guys
I have used the replacement battery, with the balance lead for nearly a year, and I regularly charge it through the RC's charging connection with no issue's.
In that time, say over a dozen or more charges, I have only used the balance lead once, and the battery is fine.
Waylander

Hi Guys
I have used the replacement battery, with the balance lead for nearly a year, and I regularly charge it through the RC's charging connection with no issue's.
In that time, say over a dozen or more charges, I have only used the balance lead once, and the battery is fine.
Waylander
So what is the advantage of what you did versus buying the battery listed for $85? Is it the cost or something else?

Hi GaryDZ

I would not say that there is an advantage in the battery I used, on the contrary, I am assuming that as there is no balance lead on the battery you listed because, that battery must already have an on board balance circuit which would be much better than the battery I used, but when I needed it, the battery you list was not available.

I can't quite remember, but the battery I used was only $ £30.00 I think, so some saving yes, but as I said, on rare occasions I do open the RC to balance charge the battery, so that is a distinct disadvantage.

If I needed a battery now, I would go for the one you listed.

Waylander

Thank you for your help and advice!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT