Regrets buying P4 over the Mavic?

I think to say that P4 controller is weak is not really accurate. I followed discussions when those were actual and there is no real facts that P4´s controller can be called "weak". I followed your "lab" testing but it was not in "real situation" flight. That other guys direct testing between gl300a and gl300c controller in real world flying using with P4 made no difference at all.

I have P4 with original gl300c and controller is not weak at all in my experience, on the contrary I would say that my remote is great. Things that influence connection the most are your position and sight.

I am just seeng you telling this in multiple places, I dont think you have facts that support that really.
Well, maybe I got a bad remote. I sent it back to DJI complaining it didn't work as well as my P3P (GL300A), but they sent the same remote back. I have to assume that's it's good and meets their standards. However, with over 3million feet logged, I think I can tell the difference between these two remotes in the same areas, using the same 32ch hack and the same windsurfer. The RF measurements I made support my flight experience, and there are many others who owned P3Ps and complain about the same range issue. However, if someone is only used to getting a 1mile range from their P3P/GL300C and simply accept that as normal, then the P4 won't be problem for those expectations. All I know is my GL300C doesn't work like my GL300A or my GL658A. Both GL300A and GL658A provide about the same range, 2+miles with windsurfer. That's my story, so that's why I'm not a fan of my GL300C, which is still sitting in my closet, the black sheep, neglected.

Reactions: Silent Assassin
Well, maybe I got a bad remote. I sent it back to DJI complaining it didn't work as well as my P3P (GL300A), but they sent the same remote back. I have to assume that's it's good and meets their standards. However, with over 3million feet logged, I think I can tell the difference between these two remotes in the same areas, using the same 32ch hack and the same windsurfer. The RF measurements I made support my flight experience, and there are many others who owned P3Ps and complain about the same range issue. However, if someone is only used to getting a 1mile range from their P3P/GL300C and simply accept that as normal, then the P4 won't be problem for those expectations. All I know is my GL300C doesn't work like my GL300A or my GL658A. Both GL300A and GL658A provide about the same range, 2+miles with windsurfer. That's my story, so that's why I'm not a fan of my GL300C, which is still sitting in my closet, the black sheep, neglected.

I had 3 different P4´s (still have one P4) and one P3P. I would not say that they have differed in any ways regarding connection and reach. All of them had good reach and I have never experienced particular issue with the reach, I do both distant and shorter flights. Thats why I think that it is somewhat misleading to systematically advert P4´s remote controller as weak. 1 mile reach is by no means short distance, and you can easily reach even longer if you just for ex use one single tip aka common sense: position yourself just little bit higher in regards to surroundings around you. Windsurfer is another good tip.
P4 is a pretty good drone overall (but off course not perfect) its unnecessary to scare people of from buying them.

I had 3 different P4´s (still have one P4) and one P3P. I would not say that they have differed in any ways regarding connection and reach. All of them had good reach and I have never experienced particular issue with the reach, I do both distant and shorter flights. Thats why I think that it is somewhat misleading to systematically advert P4´s remote controller as weak. 1 mile reach is by no means short distance, and you can easily reach even longer if you just for ex use one single tip aka common sense: position yourself just little bit higher in regards to surroundings around you. Windsurfer is another good tip.
P4 is a pretty good drone overall (but off course not perfect) its unnecessary to scare people of from buying them.
I agree, P4 is a good drone, but I don't recommend it due to the range issues, as you stated, just 1 mile. In my book 1 mile is unacceptable, I expect 2+miles from my DJI drones, same as my 2015 P3P craft gets. Hence, the P4 doesn't live up to my expectations, using the GL300C. I will say, I've gone over 3mi with my GL300C with Windsurfer, but that flight was in very rural desert environment. The normal behavior of GL300C is that it's very temperamental in the semi-suburban settings (not big city) where I live. The GL300C signal integrity isn't as solid, losing control signal often with 4000' range, which is unheard of with my P3P. In fact, I have NEVER lost a control signal with my P3P to trigger RTH. I have always lost video signal first, usually past 2miles. With P4 and GL300C I will usually lose control signal first. often at less than 1 mile, enabling auto RTH, which I loath. When I switched to the GL658A Inspire controller to fly my P4, that all changed. I'm now getting "normal" 2+mile range and when I lose signal, it's always the video signal first.

My Mavic does 2+ miles easy, which is amazing for such small antennas. I hear the P4P does 2+ miles also, my next purchase.

I agree, P4 is a good drone, but I don't recommend it due to the range issues, as you stated, just 1 mile. In my book 1 mile is unacceptable, I expect 2+miles from my DJI drones, same as my 2015 P3P craft gets. Hence, the P4 doesn't live up to my expectations, using the GL300C. I will say, I've gone over 3mi with my GL300C with Windsurfer, but that flight was in very rural desert environment. The normal behavior of GL300C is that it's very temperamental in the semi-suburban settings (not big city) where I live. The GL300C signal integrity isn't as solid, losing control signal often with 4000' range, which is unheard of with my P3P. In fact, I have NEVER lost a control signal with my P3P to trigger RTH. I have always lost video signal first, usually past 2miles. With P4 and GL300C I will usually lose control signal first. often at less than 1 mile, enabling auto RTH, which I loath. When I switched to the GL658A Inspire controller to fly my P4, that all changed. I'm now getting "normal" 2+mile range and when I lose signal, it's always the video signal first.

My Mavic does 2+ miles easy, which is amazing for such small antennas. I hear the P4P does 2+ miles also, my next purchase.

You are saying range issues not me :)
I said 1 mile is not short range but you can easily reach further with using little common sense. (I live in EU so even lower output from controller for our part I believe).

Since you have all 3 different controllers, why wouldnt you conduct a real world experiment trying all 3 of them on same spot with same drone and put it online?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunsession
Nope - moved to P4 from a P3S even though the mavic was released. The P4 is still more wind resistant and none of the high fps video issues on the mavic. Although if I had a P3P I would get the mavic (or P4P if you have the cash) over the P4 - the extra P4 obstacle avoidance isn't that big an upgrade IMO.
The mavic does excellent in high winds.
]

The mavic does excellent in high winds.
]
The mavic does ok in high wind, the p4 does a lot better. We've tested both in real life high wind. It was harder for the mavic to come back up wind with consistent high wind.

The p4 in my opinion is far better in all areas except size.. I had the mavic and the camera is terrible, infinity doesn't provide clear photos and the inability to shoot 60fps is a deal breaker.. 60fps is the most forgiving format for smooth easy to edit footage.. 4k requires time and a powerful setup. I really wanted to make the switch but once I reviewed my SD card it wasn't worth it. So back to the p4 I went and I am happy. Not sure why range is an issue , I have had mine past the 3 mile mark with no windsurfers or anything.. Another point worth mentioning is that the mavic is very fussy compared to the p4. Its sensors work against you from time to time putting you in a situation that could cause loss of control or a crash.

Since you have all 3 different controllers, why wouldnt you conduct a real world experiment trying all 3 of them on same spot with same drone and put it online?

My GL300C was modified last month, an experiment to embed a small 2W amp inside the controller on the control transmit side, powered by the internal RC battery, coupled with a DBS2.2 antenna. That didn't work much better, only got 6200' in my normal flight test area, whereas my GL685A with windsurfer will do 15,000' in this same area pretty reliably. I think that plan didn't work because of the low quality amp I bought, but it was the only one I could find that's small enough to fit inside the RC.

My next plan might be to go with a traditional boosted setup and modify my GL300C with a MaxxUAS clean install kit and use external 3W amps+battery, like so many others have done. It's not that often I need to go over 3 miles, but I would expect the dual amp setup will easily go past 4mi, which is pretty much the limit when using the new 5870mah battery. I'm not a fan of external amps because it won't fit in my backpack, that's why I've resisted that alternative so long. I do know the RC with DBS2.2 will fit in my backpack, but I think that added bulk of the amps will be a problem.

All said, if I get the P4P this month, I may not execute the above plan. No need at that point, the P4 would only be a backup, likely seldom flown at that point.

Last edited:
You are saying range issues not me :)
I said 1 mile is not short range but you can easily reach further with using little common sense. (I live in EU so even lower output from controller for our part I believe).

I just noticed you live in Sweden. I understand why 1mi range is acceptable for you, that's all you've ever experienced. With CE compliant RF power in Europe, that's normal. Here in the US we expect more because we've experienced more distance with past P3P craft. Since CE controllers are mandated to emit less RF power, you're range expectations are less than ours.

This P4 propaganda below from DJI says 3.1m (5km) range when operated in the US. I'm saying that's not true with P4, but is true with my 2yr old P3P craft with GL300A controller, and windsurfer. For some reason DJI detuned the RC in the P4/GL300C for FCC compliant operation. That's why I don't recommend them, when today there are better options (P4P and Mavic) for acceptable range (2-3miles). However, external amps can fix the controller issue with P4 (anywhere in the world), or simply buy a GL658A with more power, if you're operating in the US. Both ways will get you 3mi range.

upload_2017-4-5_21-42-41.png

Well, the remote probably goes 3.5 km (5 km in the US), but the video becomes unusable at 1.5 miles (here in Sweden). I tested it at several occasions, but I never got beyond 2.5 km before I completely lost the video and telemetry.
My complaint with P4/GL300C, instead of losing video signal first, mine would lose control signal first. And that happens suddenly with no warnings from the RC control signal strength meter. When control signal is lost, video automatically shuts off, and RTH usually kicks in. Some of the time the disconnect with control signal is less than 3 seconds, and it reconnects, so RTH doesn't enable (a good thing). This happens at 4000-5000' with P4, half the capability of my P3P. Keep in mind I've got the 32 channel hack and I fly on very quiet channels, ch 32 usually, it's always dead stone quiet.

With my P3P/GL300A I have never lost my losing control signal, never. With P3P, as I get fly to the fringe areas, about 2 to 3miles away (with windsurfer), my video signal will start dropping out. If the video signal drops off totally, 95% of the time I can simply increase altitude (because I still have control) about 100' and my video signal will reconnect. This is what I'm use to seeing from DJI, because both of my P3P craft exhibit this capability and behavior. But my P4 was disappointing, until I started using a GL658 (Inspire) controller to fly my P4.

The mavic does ok in high wind, the p4 does a lot better. We've tested both in real life high wind. It was harder for the mavic to come back up wind with consistent high wind.

I hear people say this, but it doesn't make sense. The Mavic's top speed is 40mph, and the P4 44.7mph (DJI website)...the extra 4.7 mph should almost be unnoticeable.

And since the Mavic has a smaller cross section (and also a lower coefficient of drag?) when in forward flight, it's total wind resistance should be LESS, meaning it should be able to go FASTER into the wind than the P4 (whose wind resistance / coefficient of drag, I assume, is higher than a Mavic, but honestly, I'm not sure).

Can someone give further explanation as to the P4 being "better" in windy conditions?

Thanks...

--

Bill

I researched the hell out of mavic pro and p4p, the price hike had me leaning to the mavic but I ultimately went with p4p for the camera. There is ZERO return policy, I'm terrified to open it and p5 be released next week, lol. Should I wait for p5, is the April 15th rumor just that, a rumor? I'm itching to fly.

I have a P3 pro and thinking about getting a P4 or the Mavic. Part of me wants the P4 however the Mavic is also on the list. We like to travel and the Mavic would be better because of its size. Have any of you regret getting the P4? Is there much difference in video quality between the two? Any suggestions are appreciated .
Like any photographer, to me, image quality is very important. Having as much control over the camera to obtain a quality image with enough dynamic range and modest noise is critical. But, the size/portability is compelling. You'll be limited in the lighting conditions you can reasonably work under, but with good lighting, you'd probably be satisfied with the Mavic camera. One option is to rent a Mavic for travel, but of course, that's typically when you want your best image quality. When I travel, I'm already packing a carry-on size camera kit, so carrying a phantom case as well would be challenging. I think it's a no-brainer given you already have a P3 Pro. Get the Mavic.

Ok, been using my p4p for a little over a week now, what a blast. I have not used the mavic to compare it against but I am really impressed with p4p camera.

There is a TON of flexibility in the settings and it takes sharper images than my DSLR! (Mine you it's only a 3200).

The FOV is much wider as I understand it for the p4p which is really amazing for photos I've tested so far. I'm still kinda mastering the flying first but really looking forward to some fun photography and videos.

No regrets at all! (Even though pricey)

the portability doesn't bother me because I would rarely ever by hiking with the thing. When I do travel, I would just bring it as carry on...The gimble on the mavic looks really sensitive.

I currently own a Mavic and a P4P if i had to decide between the two would definitely go with the P4P however with that said if it was between the P4 or Mavic definitely the Mavic

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT