Reducing GoPro Hero3+ Black barrel or lens distortion

Reaction score
I've been playing around with various software programs that reduce barrel or lens distortion (the fish eye effect) when using a GoPro camera.

I presently have a GoPro Hero3+ Black and shoot mainly still pictures. Anyway, I tried using Gimp on a MacBookPro and was very impressed at how good a job it does on removing distortion; here is a comparison:

BEFORE
idl6Q7a.jpg

AFTER (I also adjusted the sky colour a bit)
ZM22DXM.jpg

Now GIMP is free and available for download at: http://www.gimp.us.com/gimplp2/index-yahoo.php?pk=904365&aid=11545&part=s-afdl&tag=aftdl

What other programs are available for removing GoPro Lens distortion- especially easy to use and low cost or free software?

justsomeguy said:
FrankB said:
Gizmo3000 said:
well for video, the new freebie GoPro Cineform Studio removes fisheye.

The Mac version doesn't seem to support fisheye removal.

Click the Advanced Settings box to reveal the fisheye removal option.

As far as I can tell- on the Mac version, the fisheye removal option isn't available in the Advanced Settings box. I have Parallels and just tried downloaded Studio for Windows, and found that the Advanced Setting box there has the fisheye removal option- but it doesn't seem to work with a single JPG- only movies.

But it doesn't have the "remove fisheye" for video either in the Mac version; I thought both the Mac and the PC versions were the same.

But back to the original inquiry: what program are others using to remove the fisheye distortion from JPEG's generated by the GoPro camera? The filters in GIMP work pretty good- but require some time and effort to use.

BTW, the example pictures show Becker's Lodge and Bowron Lake in Bowron Lakes Provincial Park in central British Columbia, Canada. The Park has a chain of lakes that form a 115 km long "rectangle" that one can canoe- takes about 7 days; just wonderful! You can check it out in Google Earth.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl