Reason Why Stock P3S Has Such Poor Range

I installed amplifiers on both the 5.8 and 2.4 even with the low outputs. Although the amplifiers won't do their max I still get at least a 10db gain which is a X10 amplification that is at least better than stock. And yes you can adjust the output of the AC and Remote with Icarus software but right now only on the 2.4. They are working on the 5.8 side hopefully soon to be. Many posts here on this forum for it.

Some people get lucky and go far with p3 standard. Here is a vid with stock remote, p3 standard.

I'm wondering if DJI has lowered the output signal strength on the remotes. But why would they do this?

I took my p3s out just over 2000 feet before it lost signal and came home. I would like to extend this further. I thought about remote upgrading but if it only puts out low power than any upgrade is worthless correct?

Might there be a way to adjust the remotes output? It might sacrifice battery on the remote but I'd be ok with that.

fa563e59d40fb0a54caacab540079f34.jpg
Nice farm country. Range has a lot to do with where you are flying. What firmware are u running?

Nice farm country. Range has a lot to do with where you are flying. What firmware are u running?

I'm not in farm more like city with trees. Heard of the jersey shore?....... well I've lived here before the show.....lol... but there are power lines ton's of wifi and close by are stores like shop rite. But i am lucky because I fly over trees where it's still forest where the Toms River flows through. No people below.

I'd still like to get some better range. I'm gonna try that magic 5.3 hack. I also got a Ipad holder for the remote so no phone interference and one of them little slip on antenna extenders with the copper on one side. Once the hack is done I'll try distance again and post here

By the way that is not my video nor is that me in the video.

New record today... got a little more brave and pushed it til I lost signal...

7,120 feet, just over 2,100m or 2.1km. That's double the posted range on the box... bone stock P3S over water.

How is that not impressive... love this thing.

Reactions: Neon Euc

7,120 feet, just over 2,100m or 2.1km. That's double the posted range on the box... bone stock P3S over water.

nice ! battery % when landing ?

That's a record... wow, very impressed of our standard!

Reactions: jwmcgrath
nice ! battery % when landing ?

I'll check the log again but the battery was very good... I knew where I was going and I knew the intent was to go straight out and come straight back, and at peak distance it was at exactly 70%.

It was a clear, calm day and as I recall I was still well over 40% at landing.

I remember seeing your post about that and thinking I'd be ecstatic with 915m... that's all I'd have expected.

For what it's worth, I am still nervous but I figure there isn't much difference between dropping it into the lake at 400 feet away or 4 million...

Throughout the course of being cautious and diligent, with spotters, over open water, and in a straight line I knew to be safe, it did make me wonder why there are drones that can easily travel 7km (as posted in the specs) when I know what a drone looks like at a quarter of that distance.

But then I guess that just gets into the question of why my car can do 200km/h.

I just ordered a used P3S controller off ebay to see if all of them have the problem of only approx +8dbm/5mw tx output on 5.8ghz and only approx +20dbm\100mw output on 2.4ghz as my original one does now. My P2V+ does 50mw & 400mw respectively. I will create a new post on my findings with the used controller off ebay compared to my original P3S controller .
I have two P3S controllers. What do you use to measure the output?

Throughout the course of being cautious and diligent, with spotters, over open water, and in a straight line I knew to be safe, it did make me wonder why there are drones that can easily travel 7km (as posted in the specs) when I know what a drone looks like at a quarter of that distance.

But then I guess that just gets into the question of why my car can do 200km/h.
I get nervous when mine is out ther about 600 feet!

Reactions: LarBear360
I get nervous when mine is out ther about 600 feet!

So do I! But I resigned myself to the fact that if I only fly within the range that didn't make me nervous it would never leave the ground!

Seriously, I almost knocked it off the kitchen table once and had heart palpitations.

So do I! But I resigned myself to the fact that if I only fly within the range that didn't make me nervous it would never leave the ground!

Seriously, I almost knocked it off the kitchen table once and had heart palpitations.
I'm with you guys. All of these pilots obsessed with long range missions. I push mine just a little further every chance I get but I never lose site of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart