Reason Why Stock P3S Has Such Poor Range

Reaction score
I am an owner of both a P2V+ and a P3S. I'm in Jacksonville, Fl.
I now know why the P3S has such poor range out of the box compared to ALL of the other DJI models. Since I have read many threads and experienced a lot of the range problems the P3S has compared to my P2V+ I decided to purchase a watt meter so that I could test both controller models transmitter power outputs. I purchased the Immersion RC Watt Meter to perform the tests.The P2V+ has 480mW transmitter output on both 2.4ghz antenna ports and 50mW transmitter output on the 5.7ghz antenna port. However the P3S only has 25mw transmitter output on both 2.4ghz antenna ports and only 5mW transmit output on the 5.7ghz antenna port. I sure would welcome someone out there who could confirm their P3S transmitter power outputs are similar.

P2V+ P3S
2.4ghz = 480mW 25mW
5.7ghz = 50mW 5mW

NO SURPRISE ON THE POOR RANGE FOR A P3S.
Signed VERY DISAPPOINTED!:mad::mad::mad::(

I don't have these available right now, but what do the spec sheets say those parameters should be for each of the types of drones (P2V and P3S)?

I don't have these available right now, but what do the spec sheets say those parameters should be for each of the types of drones (P2V and P3S)?

Not sure what the exact specs are I just posted my test comparisons. Buy the way I just added a Sunhans 2.4 dual WIFI amp to the controller and now I do not get any more "Caution Strong Interference" errors.
Case in point: Because of the VERY WEAK signal conditions of the P3S controller the AC was receiving interference from near by residential WIFI's therefor causing the strong interference warnings. Now since I added the amp the controller signal overrides the residential WIFI interference that was causing the warning signal and hence no more "CAUTION STRONG INTERFERENCE" warnings. Buy the way I have never had any residential WIFI interference problems with my P2V+............

Last edited:
I've measured similar detuning shenanigans in the GL300C controller, versus GL300A that uses Lightbridge.

You might want to measure the RF output comparisons from the craft too. This may show differences to explain range issues to receive the video signal, which are 5.8ghz band

Not sure what the exact specs are just posted my test comparisons. Buy the way I just added a Sunhans 2.4 dual WIFI amp to the controller and now I do not get any more "Caution Strong Interference" errors.

The question is: What did it do to you neighbors' WIFI? (hehehe!)

Reactions: punk1959
The question is: What did it do to you neighbors' WIFI? (hehehe!)
What ever happened to the idea of SHARING? A very little time for our drones won't hurt the residential owners WIFI for long. Besides their devices are much closer to their own WIFI routers than my controller is so I doubt there are any concerns except in rare conditions which as I stated wouldn't be for very long anyway.

Last edited:
I've measured similar detuning shenanigans in the GL300C controller, versus GL300A that uses Lightbridge.

You might want to measure the RF output comparisons from the craft too. This may show differences to explain range issues to receive the video signal, which are 5.8ghz band
Sorry, I guess didn't stress it's a P3S. Video & Telemetry is 2.4 and AC control is 5.8.
I'm sure your aware of that I'm just stating it for the new comer folks that see this.

Reactions: albertoh
Frank,

I find your posts here very helpful. A couple years ago I flew P2's a couple miles out and up to a mile up, with very few failsafes, and fairly good video. I didn't get those results overnight, but eventually, as I learned more and more about antennae.

Just getting back into Phantoms, for aerial mapping and surveying purposes. I just received a P3S yesterday via Amazon, and your post has me wondering if I should return it all while it's still in excellent condition. Maiden this morning went fine, but I am seeing some "weak video transmission" warnings now, and I have zero interest in a flakey system. Question is what is better, for hopefully not a lot more cash. The price on the P3S was amazing, but maybe these type of range problems are part of the pricing dynamic? Though if Pix4D and DroneDeploy missions are autonmous, maybe long range doesn't matter? I do have to say, the lack of jello and the flat lens (relative to a few years ago) were impressive to me, for a $440 bird.

Kelly

EDIT: if there are easy mods to boost power and range, I am okay doing that. But if the cost of those takes me close to the price of the P3A or P3P, what's the point (being in the return window as I am). Welcome thoughts....

Well Kelly all I can say is these are findings from my own personal test results. I have doughts both internal controller transmitters (2.4 & 5.7) would be defective. I would like to hear from other P3S folks concerning this subject especially if they could confirm my findings. Thanks to all.

I would never buy or recommend a drone that uses wifi for anyone serious about maximizing range and monitor quality after experiencing lightbridge. I've grown into a Lightbridge advocate because of the immense advantages. The lower latency and quick connect times are so nice, not to mention the 2+mile range I've enjoyed for 2yrs. I started with a Yuneec Q500+ that used Wifi, with 2.4Ghz for control and 5.8 for video. It struggled to get 1500' in stock form, but the real pain was how long it took to connect when everything initially turned on, seemed like forever. And if you ever lost signal during flight, reconnecting required flying back toward home and it took a while to resync with all the TCP/IP handshaking going on between the craft and RC. All the overhead associated the "plain ole Wifi" is a problem with efficient video communications. There is no need to confirm all the data was received by the RC intact, 100%, which is part of TCP/IP. Wifi simply wasn't designed for transmitting real time video data from air to ground for distances greater than 500', Lightbridge was. It works way better than plain ole wifi. I would recommend P3A to anyone getting started, it's a great craft for 1080 and 2.7K video.

Very helpful John. What frequency does Lightbridge use?

Kelly

Kelly
The P3A uses 2.4Ghz. If you select a custom channel and use Windsurfer parabolic reflector, you can get 2 to 3 miles. P4P let's you choose between that or 5.8Ghz, and surprisingly it can go 3 to 4 miles on 5.8ghz. I have a P3P still because I like the craft so much, very reliable and great distance with 2.4Ghz, but the battery is about 4 or 5 minutes less flight time versus P4 with the high capacity battery.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER

Kelly
There ya go Kelly. That's pretty much what I have read about the P3A & P. I guess the P is the best but at minimum send the S back and get an A or if you can afford it a P. I have made MAJOR modifications to my S, antennas and amplifiers to get > 2 mi with absolutely no "Caution Strong Interference" warnings. I finally got rid of that anoying warning.
E-Haaaaaa

Last edited:
And I am sure this is covered ad naseum elsewhere, but if you were to go P4 instead, would you go Pro (no screen) or Pro+ (screen included)?

Kelly

I would never buy or recommend a drone that uses wifi for anyone serious about maximizing range and monitor quality after experiencing lightbridge. I've grown into a Lightbridge advocate because of the immense advantages. The lower latency and quick connect times are so nice, not to mention the 2+mile range I've enjoyed for 2yrs. I started with a Yuneec Q500+ that used Wifi, with 2.4Ghz for control and 5.8 for video. It struggled to get 1500' in stock form, but the real pain was how long it took to connect when everything initially turned on, seemed like forever. And if you ever lost signal during flight, reconnecting required flying back toward home and it took a while to resync with all the TCP/IP handshaking going on between the craft and RC. All the overhead associated the "plain ole Wifi" is a problem with efficient video communications. There is no need to confirm all the data was received by the RC intact, 100%, which is part of TCP/IP. Wifi simply wasn't designed for transmitting real time video data from air to ground for distances greater than 500', Lightbridge was. It works way better than plain ole wifi. I would recommend P3A to anyone getting started, it's a great craft for 1080 and 2.7K video.

JOHN,
You stated you wouldn't recommend a drone that uses WIFI isn't WIFI 2.4ghz? Not all can afford the higher priced drones that do not use WIFI.

Last edited:
And I am sure this is covered ad naseum elsewhere, but if you were to go P4 instead, would you go Pro (no screen) or Pro+ (screen included)?

Kelly
Kelly,
I would get more recommendations and read a lot concerning the P4 or any other more advanced DJI before a purchase. Don't go to advanced to quickly. There is defiantly a steep learning curve to flying drones SAFLEY & reliably.

Frank, would you mind sharing your mods that you have done to get the increased range? I've recently acquired a second P3S, for stupid cheap, and am very interested in tweaking it for better range. Would you mind showing some pictures as well?

@Frank,

I have years of stick time on P2's and fixed wing, including some long range UHF-based RC. It took me very little time to brush off the couple years' dust from my P2 flights to spin up on the P3S yesterday. I successfully maidened twice yesterday, and this morning have a kick *ss 3D terrain model from Pix4D work flow from the P3S autonomous missions flown yesterday. So my key deliberation is whether to stay cheap and semi-disposable (P3S) and deal with questionable connectivity technology, or go P4 Pro[+] and enjoy Lightbridge, sensor-based avoidance, etc. BTW, I am integrating LIDAR and sonar-based proximity sensors in my fixed wing FPV thermal ships, for improved automated landing with Ardupilot. Fun stuff!

EDIT: recently bought a SWR meter for building and optimizing my own antennae for 433MHz (control) and 1280MHz (video) for long range fixed-wing endurance missions.

Kelly

@Frank,

I have years of stick time on P2's and fixed wing, including some long range UHF-based RC. It took me very little time to brush off the couple years' dust from my P2 flights to spin up on the P3S yesterday. I successfully maidened twice yesterday, and this morning have a kick *ss 3D terrain model from Pix4D work flow from the P3S autonomous missions flown yesterday. So my key deliberation is whether to stay cheap and semi-disposable (P3S) and deal with questionable connectivity technology, or go P4 Pro[+] and enjoy Lightbridge, sensor-based avoidance, etc. BTW, I am integrating LIDAR and sonar-based proximity sensors in my fixed wing FPV thermal ships, for improved automated landing with Ardupilot. Fun stuff!

EDIT: recently bought a SWR meter for building and optimizing my own antennae for 433MHz (control) and 1280MHz (video) for long range fixed-wing endurance missions.

Kelly
Stay cheep. It wont hurt as much if your bird decides to leave you.;)[/QUOTE]

Frank,
I agree there is sound logic in keeping the CapEx in the disposable range.
Kelly

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers