Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Rc helicopter

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sawyer388, Dec 30, 2015.

1. sawyer388

Do I need to register my heli as well as my cheerson cx 20

2. fordruid

Over 1/2 lb? Yes, if it is

3. N9344H

If you talking about FAA registration for non-commercial use, you don't register the aircraft. You register yourself. The registration is for all aircraft you own. They do not ask anything about the aircraft in the registration.

N017RW likes this.
  4. marg2

Rc Heli or fixed win rcs Nop, they don't have gps or fly autonomous, we have to fly them at low altitude and on LOS,

5. N017RW

Please post a link to the clauses or conditions you base this on.

It's complete rubbish.

N9344H likes this.
  6. barefootbeachcombing

If you are saying (or trying to say) that RC helicopters and fixed wing RC aircraft do not require you be registered to fly them (because they do not have GPS or fly autonomously), you are incorrect (or misinformed).

The UAS registration applies to all aircraft that meet the weight limit. Having or not having GPS was not a criterion that the FAA chose to implement.

7. marg2

Sorry! I guest all the member of AMA in the public rc field where i fly my fixed winds, are mis informed a far they are concern the reg not count for them
    **** I have to make 20 stickers then

8. barefootbeachcombing

I'm not sure why profanity is needed but yes, they are misinformed.

9. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

It used to be that "Drone" regulations were not going to affect the AMA group but that is very much not the case. When model aircraft became "Aircraft" the rules then were across the board. Regardless of GPS etc if it flies it's an aircraft. They all fall under the UAS term and as such all get the same "Registration" requirement if being flown for hobby.

Please PLEASE share this information with your club members as they are just as affected by this process as anyone else regardless if at the AMA club or not. Share this link with anyone who has other questions about whether planks and heli have to be registered:
    UAS Registration Q&A

With that being said the AMA is still in talks with FAA about some alternative processes for registration so that AMA members don't have to "Double Register". What this means (if anything) will come to light in the future and does not apply right now.