Range?

Reaction score
i m new to this and only 2 flights in but I love my new hobby.
I'm still very nervous on what it can and can't forget though. I took her up yesterday and maybe at an altitude of 150' and 250-300' distance, I was getting weak signal warnings. It would flash on and off. Of course I freaked and brought it closer. I thought the range would have been better. Now I was flying in a park/ soccer field etc... With lots of the tall stadium lights. Could any of this cause this?
I've tried rth manually and woks great but haven't had the balls to take it out if range and have it activate itself.
I went and installed Litchi last night and plan on doing some planned flights today. Will Litchi hive me all the range I need or should I still look at a range extender. Not planning on anything crazy or out of line of site but would still like to go farther than my $89.00 Holy Stone drone.

Thanks

Mike

I'm still very nervous on what it can and can't forget though. I took her up yesterday and maybe at an altitude of 150' and 250-300' distance, I was getting weak signal warnings. It would flash on and off. Of course I freaked and brought it closer. I thought the range would have been better. Now I was flying in a park/ soccer field etc... With lots of the tall stadium lights. Could any of this cause this?
I've tried rth manually and woks great but haven't had the balls to take it out if range and have it activate itself.
I went and installed Litchi last night and plan on doing some planned flights today. Will Litchi hive me all the range I need or should I still look at a range extender. Not planning on anything crazy or out of line of site but would still like to go farther than my $89.00 Holy Stone drone.

Thanks

Mike
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am no fan of government - but - "Mike" is an example of why we need tough regulation on who can buy a drone, and how they get trained at least in some basics.

When we have folks who don't even know that there is more than one make and model of drone, we KNOW there is going to be tragedy, and when that happens, we legit. users of this great new technology are going to suffer.

Reactions: flyboy73
I am no fan of government - but - "Mike" is an example of why we need tough regulation on who can buy a drone, and how they get trained at least in some basics.

When we have folks who don't even know that there is more than one make and model of drone, we KNOW there is going to be tragedy, and when that happens, we legit. users of this great new technology are going to suffer.
[emoji42] [emoji42]

You're making some awfully big assumptions. Since Mike mentioned the model of his previous quadcopter he clearly knows there is more than one. Perhaps we should just assume that in his excitement he forgot to provide us the details. That's a frequent occurrence on this forum, so he's not the first.

I am a little concerned that he's planning a Litchi mission before he has significant experience.

Oh boy!
Another one of those. So because I forgot to mention the model, I should not be allowed huh?
The reason I ask questions is to learn. Unfortunately when "legit" owners like yourself get all high and mighty, it ruins the experience.

On to someone who could give helpful advice.

Very likely WIFI interference, the P3S is quite susceptible. Residential areas are rife with it. Does this make sense in the context of where you were flying?

Reactions: smackc4
I should not be allowed huh?e.

OF COURSE YOU SHOULD BE 'ALLOWED'

"Allowed" to buy all the drones you want, And hopefully society will be "allowed" to insist on at least some kind of registration, identification, safety standards so that we folks who operate these things have at least some concern for the general public !

Reactions: Crack The Sky
You're making some awfully big assumptions. Since Mike mentioned the model of his previous quadcopter he clearly knows there is more than one. Perhaps we should just assume that in his excitement he forgot to provide us the details. That's a frequent occurrence on this forum, so he's not the first.

I am a little concerned that he's planning a Litchi mission before he has significant experience.

Yes, I was a little excited and tragically forgot to mention the model.

I've done a few successful more sessions already. Now Im doing this in an enclosed field. Might have seen a few people. I'm only flying within this area and as mentioned haven't gone mire than 300' away.
Now with the Litchi app today, I did not get any low signal warning.
However, on my 2nd flight, the camera signal was low and kept cutting in and out. SD card was full if that matters.

I'm not looking at sending this thing up and away for miles but with all the talk, I would like to be able or at least have some confidence in it.

I practiced a bunch on loading and running a few missions, setting POI points and adjusting heading for camera etc...
I want to slowly learn what each mode does.

Thanks for any possitive feedback.
Mike

Very likely WIFI interference, the P3S is quite susceptible. Residential areas are rife with it. Does this make sense in the context of where you were flying?

The park has power lines around it and the field has all the stadium lights which were on.

Maybe I will take out to open beach later this afternoon and see.

Thanks
Mike

OF COURSE YOU SHOULD BE 'ALLOWED'

"Allowed" to buy all the drones you want, And hopefully society will be "allowed" to insist on at least some kind of registration, identification, safety standards so that we folks who operate these things have at least some concern for the general public !

And hopefully when there is a sign that says "No right turn between 7AM and 9AM" people will stop turning right during those hours.

Government oversight is NOT what we want, the more they have the more they will want. And registration and "safety standards" won't stop people from doing stupid things any more than it does with cars and driving.

Mike, keep it simple and just learn your p3s and the go app. It is always suggested to take your time and fly close by. Things will happen and it is better to have it happen close by. Loosing your p3 to a fly away is an expensive loss and could get someone seriously hurt. What may have caught people off guard is that it sounded like you are a risk taker. Newbies taking risks can make a bad situation for the rest of us. Keep reading all the different post you will see what I'm talking about. Distance is very much dependent on the location and interference. You will find out various ways to get the distance out of you p3. It's a fun hobby. Have fun.

You should probably get some training on your social skills.

The park has power lines around it and the field has all the stadium lights which were on.

The lights shouldn't be a problem. I've heard varying things about power lines, but I haven't personally experienced any problems. I don't see how power lines could affect the control and video signals. Perhaps GPS or compass.

The beach sounds like a good test. If there were homes nears the park, that could definitely be a problem.

......Government oversight is NOT what we want said:
============================================

Yes ! I agree with you ! - you've pointed out a scary phenomena of govt. regs - the more power they get, the more they want !

Of course I also agree with you that stupid people have some goofy desire to screw things up for the rest of us ! And they will ! Or at least try.

All you've done is illustrated the problem of humanity; of living together in communities. The problem of BALANCE!

Of balancing our individual freedoms with responsibility. Sad fact is we as a society have to FORCE the idea of responsibility on those who are determined to screw things up.

I HATE the idea of more regs - but I hate even more what will happen to us who like our drones, if we don't get some degree of control over the screw-ups.

Take, for example, the guy who thinks it is more important to him to be able to easily recover his drone if he flies it into a tree, than to have blade-guards required so we dont see those horrific injuries others have posted in here.

If we who like to operate our drones dont get together and try to get some control over who sells these things and who buys them, you can bet the kind of controls we DONT want will be forced on us.

Just make sure you have dji app closed if your using litchi app. Good luck buddy. Have fun, be safe

Mike, keep it simple and just learn your p3s and the go app. It is always suggested to take your time and fly close by. Things will happen and it is better to have it happen close by. Loosing your p3 to a fly away is an expensive loss and could get someone seriously hurt. What may have caught people off guard is that it sounded like you are a risk taker. Newbies taking risks can make a bad situation for the rest of us. Keep reading all the different post you will see what I'm talking about. Distance is very much dependent on the location and interference. You will find out various ways to get the distance out of you p3. It's a fun hobby. Have fun.

Risk taker!!!
Took me a week to get the courage to fly her.
Agreed, I have lots to learn. Lots!
I don't want to take it too far but want to avoid any disconnection if possible. Should be better than 300'.
Maybe the park has some issues there.
I'll try somewhere else and see.
I only went with Litchi after all the hype and everyone saying how great it is and how it solved all issues with the djigo app etc...
So distance out of equation. Is the djigo app safer, less prone to fly always?

Btw. Yes the park is in a neighborhood so there are many homes, condos.

Thank you

Thanks

Mike

I think you just have to "tough it out" and fly it. Learn a little each time, and do something a little different. At least that's what I try to do, anyway.

My 6 month old P4 (wih antenna extenders) on Litchi gets about 2200 feet distance. I got a bit more yesterday, (2800+) at 300+ feet altitude but was within a 100 feet of a very large cell tower that also serves a small regional airport a few miles away (deliberately flying in Sport mode toward it), and had 30 heart pounding seconds of Litchi reporting "no signal". I had wanted to fly around the tower, but at the "no signal" I curtailed the mission.

My response when I get 'no signal' is to take my hands off the controls and let the aircraft recover, and sometimes I turn the aircraft slowly to see if antenna orientation is a factor. I "hands offed" for this time, waited (I've set Litchi to "hover" with no signal), tried raising the altitude to gain some line of sight signal strength [it actually did increase altitude and it did turn, but I didn't have visual confirmation], until finally I could turn it back and bring it home. Reviewing the video looks like nothing happened. I'm glad I had taken extra magnesium because my heart really was pounding--but I was proud that I had stuck it out. That was the longest "no signal" I ever had.

From what I've read here, I'm wondering if I should get more distance, but I'm happy with what I have gotten (and not lost my aircraft).

Last edited:
Risk taker!!!
Took me a week to get the courage to fly her.
Agreed, I have lots to learn. Lots!
I don't want to take it too far but want to avoid any disconnection if possible. Should be better than 300'.
Maybe the park has some issues there.
I'll try somewhere else and see.
I only went with Litchi after all the hype and everyone saying how great it is and how it solved all issues with the djigo app etc...
So distance out of equation. Is the djigo app safer, less prone to fly always?

Btw. Yes the park is in a neighborhood so there are many homes, condos.

Thank you
Litchi isn't without its problems. Master flying with the Go app first, then learn Litchi.

As far as disconnections, Litchi won't help you with that. It's a result of the Wi-Fi the P3S' radio uses. It's just prone to interference and limited range. Consider picking up an inexpensive "windsurfer" parabolic reflector for your transmitter's antenna. One of those doubled my range.

Best advice, though, is learn how the RTH function works. Reread that part of the manual a few times and understand it. Pay attention to setting your RTH altitude. Default is only about 95 feet. Practice RTH a few times to see how it works.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing