RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

hook3m said:
What's the proper antenna orientation for the Spironet mushroom antenna coming off the phantom? Mushroom pointed straight back or pointed down?
I point mine down on the aircraft. And, on the receiver, they're level with the horizon.
Not sure if it matters or not though?

hook3m said:
What's the proper antenna orientation for the Spironet mushroom antenna coming off the phantom? Mushroom pointed straight back or pointed down?

I've tried it both ways but I prefer down. I seem to get better reception. However, I think others have found different results depending on their hardware and how they have the ground antenna set up. I'm using a Diversity with a helical on one antenna and a Skew Planar on the other (4 leaf clover). The helical generally points at the aircraft and the SPW is generally perpendicular to it.

I have a standard Nimrod with 90º connector here, but am just about to exchange it for one with a 107mm shaft / straight connector so I can get it further away from the landing skids.

Has anyone got a longer shaft Nimrod and got better results?

Additionally, what are people's opinions on the Nimrods compared to Spironets? Am just interested as to if anyone with both has experienced a noticeable difference in results?

The best tx antenna position if you dare! No black spot unless you just flying straight up. 3m special Velcro tape on the side 5 time stronger than normal Velcro. Flew in strong wind today no problem at all!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 369
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 428
leekawey said:
The best tx antenna position if you dare! No black spot unless you just flying straight up. 3m special Velcro tape on the side 5 time stronger than normal Velcro. Flew in strong wind today no problem at all!

Nice, thats what I am going to try !!

1400M@43M Today!! No fail safe. Some video loss starting at 1100M....at 1200M I had to climb from 30M to 40M, and turn the aircraft so the VTX antenna was more pointed towards me, as I was starting to get snowed out. I stopped at that distance and returned. Could possibly have gone further....but, I'm taking "baby steps" ;)

It's getting hard for me to find a long enough piece of land that is completely flat and devoid of any radio interference/people/stuff.
I could easily just fly across the Lake, into California!!! But, I'm just not confident about flying over water yet.

I have 100mm Nimrod on mine but have nothing to compare it against and so far have only gone out to 800m

Was a moment or two of static (i.e. no video loss, just some slight interference) but all good.

Have it pointed straight out to side and bent down at end

havasuphoto said:
It's getting hard for me to find a long enough piece of land that is completely flat and devoid of any radio interference/people/stuff.
I could easily just fly across the Lake, into California!!! But, I'm just not confident about flying over water yet.

Isn't there a couple of miles of arroyo and dirt to the East of Sara Park? I know I lost a camera rocket out there and walked for several hours East and didn't see anything but more ruts and lizards.

ladykate said:
havasuphoto said:

Isn't there a couple of miles of arroyo and dirt to the East of Sara Park? I know I lost a camera rocket out there and walked for several hours East and didn't see anything but more ruts and lizards.
Yea-lots of places like that. BUT-you want a place that you can drive too, and if needed, get to your Quad. There's tons O Desert here. But, not all of it's accessible. And, I kinda have a "standing rule", that if I can drive to pick-up the downed aircraft, I don't fly over it.......yet ;)
I've made a few exceptions on some "mountain" shoots.....but for long range stuff like this, I'll stick to the Island.

Started here; https://www.google.com/maps/@34.4571626,-114.3719374,143m/data=!3m1!1e3
now zoom out, and look to the right side of the map-see the Motocross track/Crazy Horse Campground? The middle of that motocross track, is 1400 Meters. And, that is Area 53 ;)

Just received my Fatshark 5.8 GHz SpiroNET Antenna Set. Looking at the two they are both the same. Is there not a separate Tx and RX antenna? All the others sets I have bought had one labeled TX and RX.

Fanti said:
I get better than 4.6 km..

It says 4559 on your display.
Another member here, leekawey, has reached 6000m

hook3m said:
Just received my Fatshark 5.8 GHz SpiroNET Antenna Set. Looking at the two they are both the same. Is there not a separate Tx and RX antenna? All the others sets I have bought had one labeled TX and RX.
They're the red ones-doesn't matter, they're both the same. That's the one's I'm using.

2trickpony said:
Fanti said:

It says 4559 on your display.
Another member here, leekawey, has reached 6000m

Thanks for mention my record here. I am currently seeking for new location that I can do the max range one way only! Just let it land there.

havasuphoto said:
hook3m said:
They're the red ones-doesn't matter, they're both the same. That's the one's I'm using.

Thanks! Only able to use the one on the Phantom as I need an adapter to put it on my Black Pearl but I'm getting much better range. 500m which is 200m better than I was getting. Once I get the antenna on the BP I bet it will get even better.

GhostMaster said:
Fanti said:

With black Pearl? Wich tx?

I have the immersionrc 600mw. Just did another flight and was able to do 600m before it started cutting out. What antennas are you using to get that distance?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl