RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

You can attach pretty much any antennas you want, as long as they have the right connector, which is SMA, male.[/quote]

That was my next question what connector for the FS P2. Cause I order some from amazon that didn't have a pin in the center so I didn't put them on my FS.

Those using Black pearl DC out to power IRCduo rx, what kind of battery life are you getting on BP?

Maybe I have a bad battery, but it doesnt hold a charge, I need to charge it fully right before flying, if it sits one day charged it loses charge.
Even fully charged the screen dies before im through with my second P2 battery, and this is WITHOUT using the DC out to power the IRC duo,

do I have a bad BP battery? What are you guys seeing?

lotusman said:
Those using Black pearl DC out to power IRCduo rx, what kind of battery life are you getting on BP?

Maybe I have a bad battery, but it doesnt hold a charge, I need to charge it fully right before flying, if it sits one day charged it loses charge.
Even fully charged the screen dies before im through with my second P2 battery, and this is WITHOUT using the DC out to power the IRC duo,

You have a bad battery there methinks.
I can fly 3 or 4 times using the built-in Black Pearl battery, and thats ALSO powering the IRCduo !! ;)
For the price of a BP internal battery you could prob get a decent 3s lipo and power everything with that. Not such a tidy solution though.

That was my next question what connector for the FS P2. Cause I order some from amazon that didn't have a pin in the center so I didn't put them on my FS.

Someone will answer but you can get gender converters to adapt any connector. I ordered one of these because I was in the same pickle: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111239305508?ss ... 1497.l2649

I got tired of having to worry about it and ordered 10 of them from China.

lotusman said:

I get well over an hour - I've never had it run down except when I forgot the charger on a long trip - and it was holding charge for four days (but a little less each day because I was using it). Had to cobble a charger together on the road. So... now I have three chargers for them. ;-} Did a 10 minute flight yesterday to get a specific video clip and put the monitor on the charger and it said it wasn't worth it - was blue indicating it didn't need a charge.

I suspect you have a bad battery.

A bit OT, but, maddog 2800 mah are back in stock-get em before they're gone; http://www.2dogrc.com/mad-dog-2700-mah-11-1v-25c-dji-phantom-li-poly-battery-w-xt60.html

EDIT: i took some picture of my old CP antenna and also a couple of my new setup. Also-I may be getting a set of RHCP Skew Planar antenna's. 1 will have an RP-SMA connector.....so, if I buy those, I will post pictures and results when I have them;
current setup;

Cheapy old CP antenna;

Who was the member(s) that had a Helical Antenna? What I would like that member to do is go out, and test the helical....what I want to find out is this; when you make a turn, will the helical kick in and keep the video on...and at what distance.

Also, I'll be having a set of these made, with 1 having a 90 degree RP-SMA connector, so it will connect to my VTX. I'm also having it made about 3 5/8" long-so it will almost touch the ground on landing. I'm thinking the length will help eliminate the camera and part of the frame from blocking the signal....we'll see when they get here-as I'll be doing some tests; you can get them painted black or blue-I'm going with black;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2122170

Also-was wondering if anyone has tested these;http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2121262
Why pay $90 when you can get the same results? for less?? They're only $30.....but dunno how well they would work.

I was supposed to have a helical today, according to postal tracking, but you know, the USPS doesn't work on schedule sometime. darn....

thongbong said:
I was supposed to have a helical today, according to postal tracking, but you know, the USPS doesn't work on schedule sometime. darn....
Cool. What I was thinking was this; take off, put it in Home Lock and fly away, turn the aircraft so the VTX antenna is completely blocked from the receiver, then see how far out you can go and maintain video, while using the Helical.
I'm going to try and go out tomorrow(might be too windy), and do the exact same thing-fly the aircraft in home lock with the antenna pointed completely away from the receiver, then record my distance and altitude. I'm thinking 25, or even 20 meters, should be high enough for this test.

I'm trying to create "repeatable" tests....so that my results can be tested against different antenna's, anywhere else. I have to keep in mind the "Fresnel Zone"....so I'm thinking 25 meters in the flat desert should be high enough.

My goal is to maintain good clear video, until I lose RC control. So, when I first starting getting snow, I'll record that distance, and when I completely lose signal, record that.

So, we really don't need to fly miles away....if we stay low, we should see results under 600 meters. Perhaps we can develop a data base of what altitudes are the Minimum to maintain good video signal, for a given distance. This is where the "math wizard" with Trigonometry comes into play. I'm trying to find that exact angle, that I can maintain, for a given distance.

havasuphoto said:
I'm trying to create "repeatable" tests....so that my results can be tested against different antenna's, anywhere else. I have to keep in mind the "Fresnel Zone"....so I'm thinking 25 meters in the flat desert should be high enough.

My goal is to maintain good clear video, until I lose RC control. So, when I first starting getting snow, I'll record that distance, and when I completely lose signal, record that.

So, we really don't need to fly miles away....if we stay low, we should see results under 600 meters. Perhaps we can develop a data base of what altitudes are the Minimum to maintain good video signal, for a given distance. This is where the "math wizard" with Trigonometry comes into play. I'm trying to find that exact angle, that I can maintain, for a given distance.

Ground clutter might be a huge variable in this. Antennas that are normally good antennas may not reject ground clutter well but be very good for clear flight. Cloverleaf antennas don't necessarily have higher gain than omni antennas - they just reject non-polarized signals well. The helical antennas DO give good gain AND reject ground clutter AND receive well at long distances if they are pointed correctly. I guess what I'm saying is that a good set of cloverleaf antennas might give you the false impression that they were as good as a helical in shorter range tests at low altitude. This might all be debatable but it would bug me anyway. :lol:

ladykate said:
havasuphoto said:

Ground clutter might be a huge variable in this. Antennas that are normally good antennas may not reject ground clutter well but be very good for clear flight. Cloverleaf antennas don't necessarily have higher gain than omni antennas - they just reject non-polarized signals well. The helical antennas DO give good gain AND reject ground clutter AND receive well at long distances if they are pointed correctly. I guess what I'm saying is that a good set of cloverleaf antennas might give you the false impression that they were as good as a helical in shorter range tests at low altitude. This might all be debatable but it would bug me anyway. :lol:

I agree, ground clutter could mess up your test a bit.
I would take off and fly up at an angle of 20-30 degrees.

Can the DJI 5.8 transmitter be used with the FS P2? Curious minds wants to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

extrememc said:
Can the DJI 5.8 transmitter be used with the FS P2? Curious minds wants to know!

Is a FS P2 a vision or non vision P2 ??

2trickpony said:
extrememc said:

Fatshark P2 goggles

extrememc said:
2trickpony said:
extrememc said:

Fatshark P2 goggles

Oh I see. Not sure if it will work, depends if 5.8
channels are the same on both.

extrememc said:

Nope. DJI 5.8 is a Chinese tx and the Fatshark receivers don't like them. Use an Immersion or Fatshark Tx or pipe the video from an outside rx (such as a Diversity/Uno) into the headset via cable. Here is why:

DJI 5.8 Freqs

CH1: 5705 MHz
CH2: 5685 MHz
CH3: 5665 MHz
CH4: 5645 MHz
CH5: 5885 MHz
CH6: 5905 MHz
CH7: 5925 MHz
CH8: 5945 MHz

Fatshark Predator 2 Freqs

5740MHz
5760Mhz
5780MHz
5800Mhz
5820MHz
5840Mhz
5860Mhz

Ok makes sense. Thanks

Went for another flight this morning. I had to rush a bit-because the winds here can go from calm, to crazy high, in minutes. So, I went to a local spot about 3 minutes from my house. The forecast called for wind, and we had some-but not bad.

This area I launched from, was up on a hill, and I was flying towards "ground clutter" in the form of some tree's, and population.

The first flight was only 1000 meters @100 meters, then I pulled back, and did a 180 at around 600 meters. Had solid clear video, throughout the entire flight.
2nd flight, I rotated the aircraft after take-off, so the VTX antenna was completely blocked. I started to get a little snow at around 360 meters @25 meters. I didn't really go any further because I wanted to make 1 more flight, and the winds were already picking up.

3rd flight was Flight #200 for me!!! Launched, hit Atti mode, and hit 20.2m/sec(40+mph!!)......got out to 1100 meters fairly quickly-solid video signal. At around 1160, I was at 103 meters, and added some throttle. I noticed a delay between the command to add throttle, and the engines revving up. At 1166 meters @104 meters, I hit "Fail Safe"....crap!! The phantom continued until 1171 meters(my new record), stopped, did a smooth right 180 degree turn-and in the turn, video only momentarily dropped to snow, then returned.
I had clear video throughout the return, from that distance!! Also-I couldn't disengage F/S until I reached about 660 meters, and, my speed returning was only 8m/sec......

Now to be fair-this distance test was not in my normal testing area. This was towards a park, golf course, condo's etc. So, my thoughts were-that I need to be at least another 50 meters higher. And, I think I may already be at the limits of my Futaba Remote.
At one point on a flight, I turned the aircraft so the VTX was away from me, and got this weird, double-vision/color shift. First time I've seen that. Perhaps the new antenna's will help clear that up a bit.

But, as of now-my limit is in the 1100 meter range, at 100 meters altitude. I did have a very clear line of sight to the aircraft.
I also noticed that once past that distance, the remote reacted very sluggish, just before going into Fail Safe. Also, I've never tried turning the aircraft around, past about 700 meters at that altitude.

Once the winds die down(probably next week), I'll try another couple of long distance runs at higher altitudes. But then, I'll shift my attention to video signal, at different altitudes and distances-to see where it's lost, hopefully before I lose R/C signal.

I wish there was some way to boost the transmitter power of my Futaba T8J remote-because right now, it sucks.

I was all set to buy the BP and Spironet aerials/patch but now haven read this cancelled my order.

From reading the last 42 pages I have come to the conclusion the BP is still a good screen and if it comes to it I will buy a Uno (maybe even duo like 2trick) if it doesn't work out and at least not have an extra battery dangling about.

It also looks like I will be better of with the Nimrod aerials but one thing I am not sure about is the 90degree bend and if I should just buy the blackhawk micro for the BP if I might end up getting a Uno RX instead?

I would have thought the bend would mean getting the aerial lower down behind the gimble but ShrimpFarmer posts suggest otherwise and regrets having the bend- I don't quite get why though as surely its still lower and out to the side than if you had to bend the wire itself?

AlanK said:
I would have thought the bend would mean getting the aerial lower down behind the gimble but ShrimpFarmer posts suggest otherwise and regrets having the bend- I don't quite get why though as surely its still lower and out to the side than if you had to bend the wire itself?

I thought exactly the same as you, it will sit lower. I didn't realise though that the cable stem is much shorter than the Fatshark spironet. To be honest I have not been using it and I just use a fatshark on my quad and another on the BP with the helical. Its been working really well and 1.5K is easily achievable.

I should add that with the 90deg bend you gain nothing by mounting it to the side as its still partly obscured. Using the Ftashark though I bend it almost at the dome so that most of the length of the stem juts it clear of the gopro and the legs. Can't do that on a Nimrod. You could of course order a longer reach Nimrod if you wanted it, he will make one for you I am sure.

So your not using the Nimrods at all then and just the blackhawk for this range?

I cant seem to actually order the blackhawk/nimrod combo 'without' the 90 degree bend so got an email into them to ask about that.

Do you think without the 90bend it would stick far enough out to the side to be bent down simmilar to your Fatshark aerial or would you recommend the fatshark/spironet combo anyway?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl