RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

Very impressive and also the fact that you are using stock Dji transmitter and no fancy Futaba ect.I would be thinking about a tracker now .

saltire said:
Very impressive and also the fact that you are using stock Dji transmitter and no fancy Futaba ect.I would be thinking about a tracker now .

I cant believe just how good the stock controller is. No reason to change it unless I go to Lightbridge :D
Funny you mention a tracker ...............
Have you got your P2 yet?

The really weird thing is that the IRC5800 duo didnt switch to the helical at all, at any point in the flight. Dont know why :?:
I'd be interested to know why too.
So, you went up over 500 meters in height!!!
I wonder if someone is good at Trigonometry and could tell us the relevant distance we are going, through triangulation?

havasuphoto said:
The really weird thing is that the IRC5800 duo didnt switch to the helical at all, at any point in the flight. Dont know why :?:
I'd be interested to know why too.
So, you went up over 500 meters in height!!!
I wonder if someone is good at Trigonometry and could tell us the relevant distance we are going, through triangulation?

3016m distance and 544m height = 3064m and change, in a straight line from the Tx to the Phantom.

3456m @ 587m = ?

You were at 16% battery on landing. Do you think there would be enough lifties in the airplane to go 50 percent farther?

The breakup when you wheeled around was awesome. I know that feeling - it isn't good. Backing up at that distance might be a solution (I see others have done it that way).

If the helical wasn't working then this is a great statement about the other antennas.

ladykate said:
You were at 16% battery on landing. Do you think there would be enough lifties in the airplane to go 50 percent farther?

The breakup when you wheeled around was awesome. I know that feeling - it isn't good. Backing up at that distance might be a solution (I see others have done it that way).

If the helical wasn't working then this is a great statement about the other antennas.

I reckon if I didnt have to climb to over 500m the battery would have let me go further. Climbing kills the battery.
Also you have to figure in the wind, which must have been at least 25mph at the highest point
When the breakup became bad I could still just see the telemetry so I used the diamond to locate home direction. I knew I had plenty of height so just pushed the controller forward and headed towards home.
This is the problem where I live, no flat space anywhere !!

I'm still a bit concerned about the helical though. I had high hopes for that and I was sure if it should have kicked in.

2trickpony said:
ladykate said:

I reckon if I didnt have to climb to over 500m the battery would have let me go further. Climbing kills the battery.
Also you have to figure in the wind, which must have been at least 25mph at the highest point
When the breakup became bad I could still just see the telemetry so I used the diamond to locate home direction. I knew I had plenty of height so just pushed the controller forward and headed towards home.

I'm still a bit concerned about the helical though. I had high hopes for that and I was sure if it should have kicked in.
I would go back out, when you had the time, and just use the Helical antenna, and see what happens.

Also; it would be nice to find a correlation, through triangulation, as to what is the Minimum Altitude, for a given distance.
Start at say 25 meters=? how far. 35 meters?, etc.....do you see where I"m going with this?
And, that is with "usable" video-meaning you still have a picture sufficient to fly with.

I back up from my maximum distances, until I reach a "known" distance where I know I won't lose RC or Video, then turn 180 degree's. I'm able to go straight back, using the little left right arrows, that show me I'm exactly 180 degree's from home. I still don't use IOC, much. Guess if I was smarter I could just flip Home Lock, and pull back....doh!!!

havasuphoto said:
2trickpony said:
ladykate said:

I would go back out, when you had the time, and just use the Helical antenna, and see what happens.

Also; it would be nice to find a correlation, through triangulation, as to what is the Minimum Altitude, for a given distance.
Start at say 25 meters=? how far. 35 meters?, etc.....do you see where I"m going with this?
And, that is with "usable" video-meaning you still have a picture sufficient to fly with.

I back up from my maximum distances, until I reach a "known" distance where I know I won't lose RC or Video, then turn 180 degree's. I'm able to go straight back, using the little left right arrows, that show me I'm exactly 180 degree's from home. I still don't use IOC, much. Guess if I was smarter I could just flip Home Lock, and pull back....doh!!!

Thats a good idea, when I get a bit of time I will try the helical only and see how it performs.
I wont be able to do the triangulation test though as I will hit the mountain @ any height as I am only around 700m from the base of it. I need to take a day out to Aberdeen beach to do more low level testing.
Yeah, Home Lock would work!

I can do some testing here too. But, I don't have the Immersion 600mw TX-so, I'm not sure if my results would even be valid. I have the TS832-which is widely reported to put out less than the reported 600mw.

Also-my knee's are literally shaking(I fly sitting in a chair), when I go out to these long distances. It scares the Bejesus out of me!!! And, when it hit FS, I get that nauseous feeling, like the aircraft is going to turn and fly into the Lake. I usually fly on a Island that's perfectly flats, for a good distance, and remote enough that people don't bother me.
But, right now my "project" is trying to eliminate the vertical hop I get, while climbing out and flying forward, in the Zen H3-2D......so, it might be awhile before I get the "nerve" back up to do any distance stuff.

I thought over 1Km without hitting F/S or losing video, was good enough for me ;)

Nice setup, are you using black pearl? How are you powering the duo rx, from the DC out on the BP?

2trickpony said:
ghinson said:
Installed the IRC 600mW, Black Pearl monitor last night (with iosd mini) with the stock antennas. Today, first flight, really only got 175m or so of usable video feed.

I knew it would be less than some of the setups in this feed with improved antennae, but that seemed a little short. Does that sound right, or do you think I'm getting some interference somewhere?

The Tx is coming out the back left of the Phantom, and the monitor is mounted onto the controller.

Well, this is the reason this thread exists, to try and figure out why certain tx, rx and antenna combinations work while others dont.
Once I try out my RC5800duo RX with the rc600mW TX I should hopefully be able to say for certain where the problem is.
You should be able to get more than 175m, thats just not good enough.
If you could post some pics of the way you have things setup it may help us to solve your issue.

lotusman said:
Nice setup, are you using black pearl? How are you powering the duo rx, from the DC out on the BP?

2trickpony said:
ghinson said:
Installed the IRC 600mW, Black Pearl monitor last night (with iosd mini) with the stock antennas. Today, first flight, really only got 175m or so of usable video feed.

I knew it would be less than some of the setups in this feed with improved antennae, but that seemed a little short. Does that sound right, or do you think I'm getting some interference somewhere?

The Tx is coming out the back left of the Phantom, and the monitor is mounted onto the controller.

Well, this is the reason this thread exists, to try and figure out why certain tx, rx and antenna combinations work while others dont.
Once I try out my RC5800duo RX with the rc600mW TX I should hopefully be able to say for certain where the problem is.
You should be able to get more than 175m, thats just not good enough.
If you could post some pics of the way you have things setup it may help us to solve your issue.

Yeah, I'm using the BP as a monitor only now. And yes, the Duo is powered from the DC-out.I Must say, apart from the poorer RX performance, the BP is a great piece of kit.
Its all down to how far you want to fly, for most people the BP as monitor/RX should be fine.

I'm ordering my FPV stuff this week but still undecided if I should get the IRC600 or Fatshark 250 to work with the Black Pearl.

I am getting the feeling that IRC600 / Black Pearl is giving much better results when using the Black Hawk antennas, so I'm thinking I should order:

• - Black Pearl
    - IRC600
    - Blackhawk Micro 5.8 GHz 9 dBi set with Nimrod
    - Single Nimrod FPV 5.8GHz

Any advice appreciated.

The only difference I would make is the 12db Blackhawk, as that is what Horizon recommended to me. I've not ordered mine yet as I only got my P2 on Saturday. I hour flying time. This this IS addictive!

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Jaybee said:
I'm ordering my FPV stuff this week but still undecided if I should get the IRC600 or Fatshark 250 to work with the Black Pearl.

I am getting the feeling that IRC600 / Black Pearl is giving much better results when using the Black Hawk antennas, so I'm thinking I should order:

• - Black Pearl
    - IRC600
    - Blackhawk Micro 5.8 GHz 9 dBi set with Nimrod LHCP
    - Single Nimrod FPV 5.8GHz LHCP

Any advice appreciated.

Thats the setup I will end up with I think. I am still waiting for my Nimrod to arrive but if it turns out to be good then I will buy another one for my Black Pearl.

Next on the agenda for me is some goggles I think.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Thats the setup I will end up with I think. I am still waiting for my Nimrod to arrive but if it turns out to be good then I will buy another one for my Black Pearl.
Seems like a good system judging by your tests so far. Cheers for those btw.

Shrimpfarmer said:
I can see this being on the cards too at some point :)

Shrimpfarmer said:

I think any high end setup should work fine. I would certainly go with that one if I was getting another. Here in the US, I've gone with Circular Wireless antennas but kept my TS832 tx. I don't need 2 km range - but I have pushed the envelope I'm flying in with my current setup and have had no problems.

Shrimpy, you started out saying you didn't want goggles but are now leaning towards them. I think I'm in the same boat. Your concerns about them were mine, too. If I decide to go BVR, the goggles might make sense. Let us know what you settle on. I'm considering the Predator Fatshark versions - I've seen them on sale a couple of times and they can accept corrective lenses - and my current antennas fit them...etc...

ladykate said:
Shrimpy, you started out saying you didn't want goggles but are now leaning towards them. I think I'm in the same boat. Your concerns about them were mine, too. If I decide to go BVR, the goggles might make sense. Let us know what you settle on. I'm considering the Predator Fatshark versions - I've seen them on sale a couple of times and they can accept corrective lenses - and my current antennas fit them...etc...

I am lucky as I fly with a friend who uses a pair of Fatshark Attitude goggles. I have been allowed to try on 2 pairs of goggles and my initial reaction is that I don't like them. I have not yet had the opportunity to tune a pair into my outfit and alter the lenses for my eyes but I am hoping to try it soon. Maybe even today.

The reason I am now considering them is that they suffer no glare problems at all so the picture you get through them is a lot brighter. The reception on the attitudes also seem very very good in comparison to the Black Pearl. Last but not least you don't have to build your sunshade on the monitor or have its weight on your Tx. At times I have flown with my monitor on a tripod and its great to just be able to hold a naked Tx.

If you get to see someone fly with goggles watch how they stand or sit totally still as they fly. Its almost like their brain turns off muscle movement everywhere other than their thumbs. Full FPV flight is of course much easier as you never have to consider that the controls become reversed when you fly nose in.

Downsides are that you cant see who or what is around you and you have to transit to and from the goggles at takeoff and landing. My friend always states how bright the world is when they take the goggles off and for a while they are blinded by the light.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94