RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

extrememc said:
Hey LadyKate you live in NE?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. There is a Nebraska thread on here with many of us posting. http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic. ... t=nebraska

I also lived near Shrimpy (sorta) for 12 years - my wife is a Brit/dual. (Ladykate was our dog)

To stay on topic a little - should receive the Circular Wireless Clover Leafs today. Like in England, though, it is windy as hell right now. I'm anxious to try them out. They have been specifically manufactured to match the Helical I have.

Also, I have an IB Crazy helical ($35) - which has a good following but it is kinda clunky and not nearly as precise as the CW. The solder joints on it look horrible (BIG chunks of solder)

Installed the IRC 600mW, Black Pearl monitor last night (with iosd mini) with the stock antennas. Today, first flight, really only got 175m or so of usable video feed.

I knew it would be less than some of the setups in this feed with improved antennae, but that seemed a little short. Does that sound right, or do you think I'm getting some interference somewhere?

The Tx is coming out the back left of the Phantom, and the monitor is mounted onto the controller.

ghinson said:
Installed the IRC 600mW, Black Pearl monitor last night (with iosd mini) with the stock antennas. Today, first flight, really only got 175m or so of usable video feed.

I knew it would be less than some of the setups in this feed with improved antennae, but that seemed a little short. Does that sound right, or do you think I'm getting some interference somewhere?

The Tx is coming out the back left of the Phantom, and the monitor is mounted onto the controller.

I guess it just depends on what you mean when you say usable. I got 600 meters with a similar setup (with some heart stopping break ups that lasted several seconds) - still 'good enough - barely' to get the aircraft turned around and back home. However, I couldn't get more than 50 meters (and then pretty bad) at another location. General noise in the area can make a huge difference. Try it at another location if you can. Don't point your ground antenna at the aircraft. Try pointing the whip on the aircraft down if you can (not straight out). I have a video of the really bad place - essentially, I just didn't get to do much FPV there - it was breaking up even on startup. Which was disappointing since it was 2000 miles from here and I flew all the crap in. That was when I started looking for better antennas. You can see what I mean by viewing it here: www.creagan.net/test/telemetry1-small.wmv (I shrank it down and trimmed it to a minute - nothing much to see but noise)

You can see the exact same setup in the video I linked earlier in this thread. It is the second test which went out to 600 meters. It wasn't pretty but it was usable. As in real estate, location is pretty important.

ghinson said:

Well, this is the reason this thread exists, to try and figure out why certain tx, rx and antenna combinations work while others dont.
Once I try out my RC5800duo RX with the rc600mW TX I should hopefully be able to say for certain where the problem is.
You should be able to get more than 175m, thats just not good enough.
If you could post some pics of the way you have things setup it may help us to solve your issue.

That small video you posted-I'd know that place anywhere ;)
It almost seems like what my video looked like, when I changed from Channel 31 to Channel 17 on the TX/RX.
In situations with massive RF interference-sometimes it helps to try either the higher ranges on your set-up, or the lowest ranges.
If you normally get 600+ meters on say channels 32....and now you get almost nothing, change the channel.

That was so bad, I was thinking it was possible that the monitor may have been 1 channel off from the Transmitter.

By "usable," I meant, noisy but still visible.

My setup is identical to this youtube, which I followed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8pqtEDuos

(You can see transmitter around 5 min mark.)

iosd mini inside. Tx stuck to bottom, left, back.

I was flying with Tx antenna straight out. Will point it down next flight, and try another location.

I would love to get 400m or so of LOS flight with enough video to frame photos/videos while in flight. That's all I need. No intention to break records.

Regarding channels...

Do you change channels on the Tx? How?

I see how to change channels on the BP monitor, but I only have something like channels 1-7 in DIV/F mode, and only channel 1 comes in.

havasuphoto said:
That was so bad, I was thinking it was possible that the monitor may have been 1 channel off from the Transmitter.

I know. I changed channels a couple of times - let the monitor search - etc. Didn't help at all. As I said in another thread, I went over towards Hoover Dam (an hour or two from there) and stopped on a bluff and had perfect video - never touched any setting other than charging the batteries. Location, location, location.

I don't know everything they had running there - but I do know there were several repeaters and lots of FM radios. In any case, it wasn't pretty.

Edit: If I went away from the kiosk area and grandstands, towards the RC field, it all cleared up - but that wasn't where I needed to shoot video. :| Here is what I was shooting (30 seconds): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHArdbgYQV8

ghinson said:
Regarding channels...

Do you change channels on the Tx? How?

I see how to change channels on the BP monitor, but I only have something like channels 1-7 in DIV/F mode, and only channel 1 comes in.
You should have 2 switches-on says FR and the other says CH. Go through your list of frequencies to see which is which.
I believe the Immersion should have 32 channels. However, monitors vary-some only receive 6 or so channels-so you're stuck there.
What I learned was this; Channel 17 was the worst. Channel 31, so far, has been the best.
But, I use a TS832...so, you mileage may vary.

OK. I see the channel selector on the Tx. And found a graphic on the Immersion site showing how to change the channels. Looks like mine only has seven channels.

5740, 5760, 5780, 5800, 5820, 5840, 5860

First question. Perhaps a silly question.

My Tx came tightly wrapped in a blister plastic. I would have to remove at least some of it, to change the channel. Am I supposed to remove this plastic before using it? Seems like it could be there for protection. On the other hand, seems like it could hinder cooling too.

(I got no instructions. Sorry to ask here.)

Then, is it worth going through the channels to try to find one that works better?

Thanks for the noob help.

ghinson said:
OK. I see the channel selector on the Tx. And found a graphic on the Immersion site showing how to change the channels. Looks like mine only has seven channels.

5740, 5760, 5780, 5800, 5820, 5840, 5860

First question. Perhaps a silly question.

My Tx came tightly wrapped in a blister plastic. I would have to remove at least some of it, to change the channel. Am I supposed to remove this plastic before using it? Seems like it could be there for protection. On the other hand, seems like it could hinder cooling too.

(I got no instructions. Sorry to ask here.)

Then, is it worth going through the channels to try to find one that works better?

Thanks for the noob help.

Yeah, that plastic is a pain in the *** but only remove as much as you need to get to the little dip switches. It definitely is worth going through all the channels to check.

My transmitter is also wrapped in a thick plastic....but, the 2 buttons for changing frequencies are not. They use the plastic to save weight, and keep out dust and moisture. Heat really isn't an issue if it's mounted outside the aircraft.

Went back out with the intent of flying and trying multiple channels. Only thing different from the morning run is I turned the Tx to face down. Started out in Ch 1 again, like this am. Now I had perfectly usable video to 350m.

I also learned (this is my first time flying with flight data) that 350m is a long-*** ways away. I get way to nervous if I cannot see the drone. I can see 350m away, but that little sucker is far enough on the horizon that if I look down in to the screen to see the feed, and then look back in to the brightly lit skies, it's hard to immediately affix on the thing.

So. I think I'm good. Didn't even bother trying to change the channels. Ch. 1 it is. I have no desire to break some of these records in this thread!! Call me wimp.

ghinson said:
Went back out with the intent of flying and trying multiple channels. Only thing different from the morning run is I turned the Tx to face down. Started out in Ch 1 again, like this am. Now I had perfectly usable video to 350m.

I also learned (this is my first time flying with flight data) that 350m is a long-*** ways away. I get way to nervous if I cannot see the drone. I can see 350m away, but that little sucker is far enough on the horizon that if I look down in to the screen to see the feed, and then look back in to the brightly lit skies, it's hard to immediately affix on the thing.

So. I think I'm good. Didn't even bother trying to change the channels. Ch. 1 it is. I have no desire to break some of these records in this thread!! Call me wimp.
You'll get used to it. I do beyond visual most of the time. I have the iOSD mini, and rely on the numerical data more than the picture on the screen to control the aircraft. I use the screen for framing the shot.
I love it. But, I'm in instrument rated helicopter pilot, and I dearly miss flying in the clouds. So, any chance I get to "fly on instruments", I.E. with reference to the numbers from the iOSD, I love it. It's a challenge, for sure....but for me, very satisfying.
I also use the Goggle and the Monitor.
Usually, I take off, get a 1m/sec+ climb started, and go Goggles. In fact, I usually don't take them off, or even look for the aircraft, until I can hear it. I fly back to the "diamond", and can see me in my chair, with my remote. So I fly in, about 10 meters up, turn around, make sure I'm not descending, remove goggles and land.
I've gone to 900+ meters........nothing that I know of, will make your heart pound more, than not knowing where your investment is....and, that's it over 1/2 mile away, still under your control, is kind of cool.

johndun20 said:
I was using the Immersion 25mw TX with DJI cloverleaf antennas into the Black Pearl receiver - this setup was terrible. After changing to the Fatshark 250mx TX with these antennas (http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... mrod-rhcp/) the different is incredible

My horizons are in the post - however been getting up to 1km at 100m height with Fatshark Predator v2 and 250mw, with cheap ebay clovers. Need to get the height, you and the Phantom - today went down to 17m over 300m distance away in semi-rural area, but I also was standing controlling from a 3rd floor window.

johndun20 said:
I was using the Immersion 25mw TX with DJI cloverleaf antennas into the Black Pearl receiver - this setup was terrible. After changing to the Fatshark 250mx TX with these antennas (http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... mrod-rhcp/) the different is incredible
Those have already been posted. Unfortunately, they're only in the UK and doesn't help us here in the U.S.

I just went out for another "distance" flight Today. On my 1st flight the goal was to stay at 65 meters....I chickened out at 960M!! Still had good video signal, as I just backed up from there.
2nd flight, the goal was to stay at 100 meters, went all the way out to 1113 meters!!! I had intended to only go 1KM, but things were go so well, I continued on a bit more. Still had completely solid video. Again, I backed up, until I got to about 600 meters. In the turn, the video disappeared completely for a second or two.

I'm contemplating getting a Spironet Patch Antenna-and I believe someone uses one here. Can you tell me how much better it works than the Spironet CP antenna's?
I'm thinking of putting 1 directional antenna on my 2 antenna Diversity monitor to help fill in the video, should I need to face the antenna on the aircraft away from me, at those longer distances.

havasuphoto said:
I'm contemplating getting a Spironet Patch Antenna-and I believe someone uses one here. Can you tell me how much better it works than the Spironet CP antenna's?
I'm thinking of putting 1 directional antenna on my 2 antenna Diversity monitor to help fill in the video, should I need to face the antenna on the aircraft away from me, at those longer distances.

If its this one your thinking of getting don't waste your money. I had one on my Black Pearl and it hardly ever used it over the signal from the normal fatshark antenna.

http://quadcopters.co.uk/immersionrc-sp ... -639-p.asp

Shrimpfarmer said:
havasuphoto said:

If its this one your thinking of getting don't waste your money. I had one on my Black Pearl and it hardly ever used it over the signal from the normal fatshark antenna.

http://quadcopters.co.uk/immersionrc-sp ... -639-p.asp
That's the one...and thanks, I'll pass on it.

Ok, so the weather was reasonable today with only 15mph winds so I decided to try out my new IRC5800duo.
WOW, as good as I imagined.
1st flight, 1.6miles.
2nd flight 2.1 miles. At this range the video was breaking up real bad but I think that with a bit of antenna tinkering I could reach the magical 3 miles.
Heres the 2.1 video. Really sorry about the quality but at least it lets you see the telemetry. I have also included pics of my setup to let you all see what was used to get the distance.
The really weird thing is that the IRC5800 duo didnt switch to the helical at all, at any point in the flight. Dont know why :?:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk67kklNQEU[/youtube]

Attachments

• DSC07051.JPG
    DSC07051.JPG
    315.4 KB · Views: 405
  • DSC07054.JPG
    DSC07054.JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 389

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics