Range and altitude limits

I assume you have not looked at high res satellite views, they can get down to very small details. Remember, the military of any nation, will have better resolution than you will ever be aware of.
But what I was saying was simple, if I wanted to look at any spot on the world, I can do so anytime I want in Google Earth. Now, if I were a General, I would be looking at images that would blow your mind.
When we put a new pad in for our motorhome, it was there within 6 months on Google Earth. When we put up a 15,000 gallon water tank up at LAAS, it was on Google Earth within 3 months.
I'm not surprised that California images are updated much, much more frequently than Idaho images. The resolution of the latest Chinese spy satellite, according to the article I read (that I posted a link to a couple of replies ago) is 1 meter, and supposedly that's the best available right now. That's amazing, but not quite the same as what a low-flying Phantom could get.

Anyway, unless somebody (at a Chinese site, say) remotely controls my phantom, it probably won't take the pictures or videos that they want to see. Still, the military is concerned.

Did you happen to look at the link I posted, to see just what a satellite image can do, no just imagine how much better it is for the best military satellites.
The POINT is, no one needs our videos to try to get information or to spy on us.
What actually was collected, by a 3rd party, that DJI used for the DJI Go apps, without permission, was information on what apps were installed on the phones and tablets. This information is worth something to app companies.

Beautiful, hi-res pictures on the link you sent! However, no matter how good the resolution, the angle of the view is still close to vertical, because the satellite is so high up. Admitted some of the pictures are not vertical, but are still not like pictures taken from just a few hundred feet off the ground.
And like I said before, in remote areas the fact is street view is not keeping up. The military may be overly cautious, but maybe that's a good thing. The official memo is cryptic about the reason for caution. However, a lot of news outlets, both general and specialized, covered this, and here's a quote from USA today: "But concerns remain about how to preserve privacy from cameras flying overhead – or how to thwart terrorists from collecting intelligence about targets such as power plants."

All that said, I'll continue to fly anyway, but hope that DJI will bow to pressure from the customers (which include the military) and stop requiring us to log on unless there is a really good reason to ask us to. I use 3rd party software to fly, and it's a real bother to have to log on or log off and on again using DJI Go 4.

Last edited:
Beautiful, hi-res pictures on the link you sent! However, no matter how good the resolution, the angle of the view is still close to vertical, because the satellite is so high up. Admitted some of the pictures are not vertical, but are still not like pictures taken from just a few hundred feet off the ground.
And like I said before, in remote areas the fact is street view is not keeping up. The military may be overly cautious, but maybe that's a good thing. The official memo is cryptic about the reason for caution. However, a lot of news outlets, both general and specialized, covered this, and here's a quote from USA today: "But concerns remain about how to preserve privacy from cameras flying overhead – or how to thwart terrorists from collecting intelligence about targets such as power plants."

All that said, I'll continue to fly anyway, but hope that DJI will bow to pressure from the customers (which include the military) and stop requiring us to log on unless there is a really good reason to ask us to. I use 3rd party software to fly, and it's a real bother to have to log on or log off and on again using DJI Go 4.
The new software's coming, it will allow you amnimity.

Your concerns are exaggerated.
The Army was quite clear that their concerns were about cyber-security issues - the potential ability for a determined hacker to control a drone.
It was something that was totally irrelevant for civilian flyers and the Army has already partially relaxed their ban.
The notion that a foreign country would be using the photos taken by thousands of recreational flyers for espionage is so far from reality, it's hardly worth commenting on.
It would be the least productive method of espionage and get the least amount of valuable information for the most work sifting through all the junk.
And that's IF the Phantom would somehow "phone home" to send the images, something no-one serious has ever suggested is happening or could happen.

I have two PS3s and have had the altitude and range problem with both. I use the same iPhone with both. When I contacted DJI support, they suggested that I log in and log out of DJI Go. They also suggested I calibrate the compass and IMU.

Instead of just logging in and logging out, I uninstalled and reinstalled the app. I calibrated both compass and IMU on the first PS3. The restrictions were lifted on my first PS3. I calibrated the compass and IMU on the second PS3 and the restrictions are still there.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, this post has a lot of good information, particularly by msinger. After reading it, I'm wondering if my problem is that I didn't log out and log back in when testing the restrictions on my second PS3. msinger writes, "FYI, there is currently a known issue in DJI GO that reapplies these restrictions after switching to a new battery without restarting DJI GO. To work around this issue, you'll need to shut down DJI GO, swap batteries, and start DJI GO again." I actually used the same battery in both PS3s, but obviously switched aircraft (and remotes).

DJI did a terrible disservice to its customers by not communicating the implementation of these new restrictions. Regardless of DJI's motivation for the restrictions, we should be made aware of such restrictions before we encounter them, as well as be told clearly how to remove the restrictions. We shouldn't have to sift through forums trying to find the answer. That said, I'm thankful forums like this exist!

Only thing I can think of is why DJI wants our info is if a crime is committed using a drone like flying drugs to prison cells then they can log in and get the details even if the owner destroys the drone. To me its not an issue as I fly for fun. If DJI wants to spy on my drone then I am OK with that. But I wouldn't at all be surprised if they can see our live streaming videos. Who knows... Maybe anything we record on SD cards may be uplinked to their servers just like the footage gets saved to our phones/tablets when we record in SD cards

Only thing I can think of is why DJI wants our info is if a crime is committed using a drone like flying drugs to prison cells then they can log in and get the details even if the owner destroys the drone.
The idea that DJI are spying on you is not accurate.
DJI don't want your flight data and don't have your flight data unless you choose to upload it to them.
In flight your Phantom and controller can only send information a few kilometres away - not back to DJI.

Reactions: Neon Euc
I got the same error message, haven't upgraded any firmware, iPad doesn't connect to internet. I tried logging out of Go, reinstalling, starting P4P and controller before opening App, not in beginner mode. Finally just tried flying beyond restrictions and there was no issue.

Which 3rd party app you having luck with? The Go app for my P3s is drivin me nutsier than usual! Thanks!

I flew my P4P yesterday with DJI Go 4. The altitude was limited to 29.9m even though I wasn't in Beginner's Mode. The distant was also limited to just shy of 50m though I thought I was not close to an nfs and the distance limit was off. Firmware was up to date as far as I know. Any ideas why? Thanks! (Got notifications about needing to calibrating something on a PC but had no PC in th field so didn't do it.)

Possibly a good place to ask when setting altitude and distance limits in the app, do you enter the numbers as feet or meters? I have found a reference to the return to home altitude is always set in meters, but haven't found a clear reference to the other two.

You need to sign in to DJI Go using your DJI account. That should clear the restrictions.
Having said that, mine occasionally stops as if it's restricted, despite being logged in. Closing DJI Go and reopening it clears it.
Also, it is very annoying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164