Quick Questions, Flight Distance RTH Behavior

Reaction score
Been a little spooked to push the distance boundaries with my P2V so far, but today I went for it. Got to about 1,000' and the RTH kicked in. Worked perfectly. Had a couple of questions ...

1. Should I lose the video feed before the transmitter/control loss ?
2. I assume it's the loss of navigational control (not video) that kicks in RTH ?
3. Is there a way to regain control of the aircraft when it's in the middle of RTH ?

Thanks ...

donniew said:
Been a little spooked to push the distance boundaries with my P2V so far, but today I went for it. Got to about 1,000' and the RTH kicked in. Worked perfectly. Had a couple of questions ...

1. Should I lose the video feed before the transmitter/control loss ?
2. I assume it's the loss of navigational control (not video) that kicks in RTH ?
3. Is there a way to regain control of the aircraft when it's in the middle of RTH ?

Thanks ...

Unrelated to your questions, but getting out to only 1000' before losing TX connection sounds like you are running in CE mode vs. FCC mode on the TX. If you are flying in the USA, switch to FCC mode, see the manual on how to do this. If you switch to FCC mode you will be able to fly out to at least 1500' (DJI says 500m but most have been getting much further range) before losing connection. Also make sure your antenna is oriented perpendicular to the P2V wherever it is. I usually keep mine at a 90 degree angle WRT the TX, then point the TX at the bird. In other words if the bird was directly overhead, I would have the TX pointing straight up, and the antenna would be parallel to the ground.

If you chose RTH by the switch, you can switch back to GPS and take back control once the bird is back within range. You do not have to use manual. Manual flying is not easy, if you've never owned a quadcopter before your Vision, i'd suggest a micro quad to learn with... Something like a Blade Nano QX. Flying your Vision in manual mode will quickly turn into a valuable lesson if you've never flown manual before.

Loss of video feed will also trigger RTH if thats what you have it set to do in the Naza assistant software.

The Rookie

RCRookie said:
If you chose RTH by the switch, you can switch back to GPS and take back control once the bird is back within range. You do not have to use manual. Manual flying is not easy, if you've never owned a quadcopter before your Vision, i'd suggest a micro quad to learn with... Something like a Blade Nano QX. Flying your Vision in manual mode will quickly turn into a valuable lesson if you've never flown manual before.

Loss of video feed will also trigger RTH if thats what you have it set to do in the Naza assistant software.

The Rookie

He didn't say USE manual, he said its IN THE manual. :)

RCRookie said:

The Rookie

I did check the manual and saw how to regain control with the S1 - I'll give that a shot. I am in FCC mode; made that change a while back, and the transmitter does indeed beep twice indicating FCC. I might have that antenna orientation off some however, impacting my range. I haven't specifically changed anything with the Assistant software on the "loss of video, so now failsafe/RTH" - is that the default setting ?

RCRookie said:
Loss of video feed will also trigger RTH if thats what you have it set to do in the Naza assistant software

I assume "Loss of video" means total signal disconnect of the extender from the bird (the all familiar Phantom Connection Broken). Cause many have lost video but not suffered a broken connection. Just clarifying.

I am totally unaware of this setting and have not seen it in the PC Assistant. Can you tell us where this setting is made? Cause I sure do not want mine RTH-ing with extender disconnect.

I believe in 1.08...in the IOC section if you have Naza-m enabled instead of Vision... You
can select RTH or Automatically Land in the options under what you want the Vision to do at loss of control or video. I'm not sure as im not looking at it. Also, i think this feature kicks in if you loose video for 10 seconds.

Again, you'll need to look in the Assistant, and i dont know if its still the same under 2.0/3.0

Good luck.

The Rookie

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl