Quick question on the emergency stop function

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was flying my P4 last night just off shore at the beach and was doing some acrobatic moves over the water and was wondering if ever I inadvertently hit the emergency stop with the joysticks in mid air will it recover if I restart the engines and also how would the drone react upon restart, would it automatically align itself and hover?

If you perform a CSC mid-flight, you're not going to be able to recover your Phantom. It'll drop like a rock until it hits the water.

P4-Stop-Motors-Mid-Flight.png

Thanks for the response. So are you saying it won't restart or I wouldn't have enough time to restart the engines? What about if I'm a couple hundred feet in the air can you not restart it?

I'm saying you should make sure you don't accidentally do it because your Phantom will not recover.

Reactions: Pharm
Anyone have a link to a video, I'm sure someone has tried it :)
Listen to Mike-- forget about the video-- yes there are some videos out there-- and don't ever try it to test it.

Hi guys, I was flying my P4 last night just off shore at the beach and was doing some acrobatic moves over the water and was wondering if ever I inadvertently hit the emergency stop with the joysticks in mid air will it recover if I restart the engines and also how would the drone react upon restart, would it automatically align itself and hover?

Since DJI changed the in-flight emergency stop for the P4, there's a lot of confusion.
You mentioned doing acrobatic moves and hitting emergency stop with the joysticks.
If you have firmware v1.0.0288 or later, the old CSC does not stop the Phantom 4 motors in the air.
The new method is as shown by msinger above.

No More Accidental CSC In The Air

Thanks for the response. So are you saying it won't restart or I wouldn't have enough time to restart the engines? What about if I'm a couple hundred feet in the air can you not restart it?
If you did stop motors mid-air, you're going to need more than a couple of hundred feet to recover (if it does recover)
Go and try it in the simulator if you want to know more ... or for real if you don't want your Phantom.

Reactions: flpholt
Since DJI changed the in-flight emergency stop for the P4, there's a lot of confusion.
You mentioned doing acrobatic moves and hitting emergency stop with the joysticks.
If you have firmware v1.0.0288 or later, the old CSC does not stop the Phantom 4 motors in the air.
The new method is as shown by msinger above.

No More Accidental CSC In The Air
Thank you for the detailed explanation and for the clarification. When I originally posted I thought the emergency stop was still both joysticks down and in. That was the concern I had that I could possibly activate it mid air. I am glad they changed it, I have the latest firmware so now I don't have to worry about it.

I'm not stupid, just curious to know how the drone would react that's all.
boom bang splat that is how it would react

In theory the phantom would have to fall in a dead level attitude from a great hight to have any chance In reality I would thing it would not do this at all.

Maybe if we could get enough bets together so to offset the cost of another one, let him try it. P4 does right itself pretty quick, I've sen a couple of videos, and my own getting in some tree branches was several quick times righting itself before coming out the bottom still flying. Or we could double dare him, that always works on me.

DJI solved unattended CSC by remapping the command, great. Now, let's imagine someone does CSC but still want resume for wathever reason.

Flight controller will still be active and not need to go thru whole startup procedure, I think. Applying CSC again to restart motors must be possible if DJI considered this, I would check with flight sim to confirm.

But the main problem I can see with recovering from CSC is that the craft will have to deal with extreme flight conditions such as excessive speed, out of range flight characteristics, random movements, etc.

Applying again the CSC command to restart engines, if current firmware version permits, can eventually work in some conditions, but certainly enough altitude will be needed so the flight controller has enough time to iterate for resolution and - maybe - recover.

P4 is not designed for acrobatics and huge stress will happen probably.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: D0T-C0M
If motors could not restart due to "warming up", can this be bypassed by switching to atti? Probably not if imu is signaling "I'm not ready" plus I would imagine the craft is going to be tumbling in some way interfering with the imu startup process. Still think he outta try it for the advancement of the Phantom Brothers "Don't Do" list.

I think so too haven't had a good crash video in a while

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl