Quick propeller question

Reaction score
I have been reading about you guys using alternate propellers and so had a sniff round at some specifics.

What I noticed was that most if not all props you guys are using are not keyed like the Stock DJI props and indeed many need reaming a bit. Does the interference between the prop nut and the motor provide enough grip alone or are you guys doing something else there to aide traction?

I changed my motors which now have a standard 5mm prop shaft, one of the main reasons other then being better quality motors all round was to get away from the DJI prop adapter that makes it a bit more awkward trying different props. On the stock motors I pretty much just used stock props, but having a 5mm shaft makes it quite easy to try just about any prop with just the right spacer needed, no need for reaming or drilling props to make them fit the DJI motors this way.

martcerv said:
I changed my motors which now have a standard 5mm prop shaft, one of the main reasons other then being better quality motors all round was to get away from the DJI prop adapter that makes it a bit more awkward trying different props. On the stock motors I pretty much just used stock props, but having a 5mm shaft makes it quite easy to try just about any prop with just the right spacer needed, no need for reaming or drilling props to make them fit the DJI motors this way.
Oh ok, sounds reasonable. So I guess I'll stick with my setup while it's working properly until I get to a point where a motor starts to fade away on me then make the jump to more conventional motors.

Which motors did you go to and why? better performance or power economy?

I went with the Tiger mt-2216 kv900 as I had one of the stock motors start to go bad, these are better quality slightly more efficient and a little more torque and better balanced. They also sell one that is a direct replacement for the stock motors just more efficient and better built with a stock DJI shaft.

There are a few props coming out that are built for the Phantom motors, and quite a few are using others but they will need a little bit more work. I have tried a few and am currently really liking some 9050 triblades, they are a little soft much like the stock motors but are giving me great performance. Best thing you can buy is a good prop balancer and learn how to balance props properly. Even with stock motors and props you can get them very smooth after doing a very good balance, I use the DuBro balancer which is about $30 about double the price of the cheapest ones but these are awesome and are the first step to avoid jello in your footage.

Good carbon props are nice, more stable at full speed but all stiffer props are more prone to breaking if brushing branches or something where plastic is a bit more forgiving. Not quite as stable and agile in flight but will allow you to fly through a few small branches you may not have seen. I did get some very solid carbon props that are much stiffer then the ones most guys use but were the wrong profile and reduced lift too much. The triblades are not as agile but get me way more lift then any 8 inch props I used as there is at least 50% more prop area on these compared to a stock prop and my motors have no issues running them.

Yea, I'll keep an eye on the prop evolution over the next few months see where folk are going. I was hoping to get some of the discontinued Graupners but they as rare as hen's teeth.

I balanced my props the second they came out the box, I use a gimbal but I would bet good money the video would be pretty good without it, the machine is turbine smooth.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl