Quick compass question – when calibrating.

Compass calibration has nothing to do with magnetic declination or where you are.
The only reason for compass calibration is to identify the magnetic fields which are part of the drone so they can be ignored.
Then the compass reading is accurate and not affected by any magnetic influences which are part of the drone.
The only time compass calibration is required is after rebuilding or modifying the drone.
@Meta4 is right. As I’ve written about here a number of times it’s all about compass “variation” vs. ”deviation.” @solentlife correctly defines variation, however the drone calibration does not correct for variation. Only deviation. And it should be done only when there is no outside mag interference because the intent is to correct for built in interference As per @RodPad.

Reactions: RodPad and HIWEEL
@bsartist,
Thanks,

"The calibration is not the location, it is a calibration for the Phantoms structure."
It me a long time to create that sentence.

It needed to correct, short and to the point. ;)

Rod

The amount of responses and scenarios to answer this question illustrates how complex this issue is. I’m going to tell you what I do. I fly a P4, I run a preflight checklist that includes to calibrate the compass. So I always calibrate the compass before the first flight of the day. You have to understand the compass is a extremely sensitive sensor susceptible to a milliard of disruptions. Just during transportation your vehicles’ behaves kind of a Faraday Cage, the spark plugs, the metal of the car, the starter motor all of them disturbing the drone compass magnetic fields. Besides, it’s extra insurance. It just takes a minute and it doesn’t hurt. Happy flying and happy landings.

The amount of responses and scenarios to answer this question illustrates how complex this issue is.
The issue is not complex at all.
The different opinions only show that many flyers still don't understand what compass calibration actually does and when it might be necessary.
I always calibrate the compass before the first flight of the day. You have to understand the compass is a extremely sensitive sensor susceptible to a milliard of disruptions. Just during transportation your vehicles’ behaves kind of a Faraday Cage, the spark plugs, the metal of the car, the starter motor all of them disturbing the drone compass magnetic fields. Besides, it’s extra insurance. It just takes a minute and it doesn’t hurt.
It's not insurance against anything and doesn't do anything to making your flying any safer.
You'd do a lot better to understand what compass calibration really does than to rely on a superstitious ritual.

The issue is not complex at all.
The different opinions only show that many flyers still don't understand what compass calibration actually does and when it might be necessary.

It's not insurance against anything and doesn't do anything to making your flying any safer.
You'd do a lot better to understand what compass calibration really does than to rely on a superstitious ritual.
You do as you please. It’s a free world. Don’t bring patronizing words to tell me what to do or imply I have to understand better the world of physics to express my opinions. Have a nice life.

You do as you please. It’s a free world. Don’t bring patronizing words to tell me what to do or imply I have to understand better the world of physics to express my opinions. Have a nice life.
Sounds like you aren't going to even think about what you are doing.
I'm not speaking to you.
My aim is to prevent people being confused.
I'm putting facts out for those who might want to understand what compass calibration really does and when it might be required.
Understanding how your drone works is always going to make your flying safer.

@loflyby,
I like that you have a avatar! :)
That takes some effort, at least for me.

I have been hanging around here for awhile. :)

This compass crap is confusing, and still hasn't changed.

Spin & crashed!

Since I have been here @Meta4, has never posted anything that is not correct.

Rod

Last edited:
This from phantom help about compass,now we should all know
Screenshot_20191111-160234_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191111-160304_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191111-160143_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191111-160430_Chrome.jpg

True - each to their own ... you do as you do ... I'll do as I do ... others will do as they do.

But with regard to those without a set ritual / those who wish to know more about the subject - the 'correct' answer is it is usually unnecessary to calibrate the compass unless physical change has occurred to the model.

When it comes to the matter of major change of location - that despite the words posted by some has never been proven one way or other. Practical use though has indicated that calibration is still unnecessary.

Reactions: RodPad
When it comes to the matter of major change of location - that despite the words posted by some has never been proven one way or other. Practical use though has indicated that calibration is still unnecessary.
What would you consider proof?

What would you consider proof?

Consider that Compass Theory / Use is actually part of my original training - it would take a lot to convince me.

My point is not whether its right or wrong .. but the practical application. I am not one to calibrate for the sake of it. I haven't calibrated my P3P compass since ????? in fact cannot remember when. But if someone feels its right ... then lets hope they are not calibrating in a bad location !!

Consider that Compass Theory / Use is actually part of my original training - it would take a lot to convince me.

My point is not whether its right or wrong .. but the practical application. I am not one to calibrate for the sake of it. I haven't calibrated my P3P compass since ????? in fact cannot remember when. But if someone feels its right ... then lets hope they are not calibrating in a bad location !!
I’m not arguing personal choice at the moment. I’m just asking what you would consider proof. In addition to the theory explained here, others have said they travel all over without recalibration with no issues due to *variation*. I am one of them. Routinely fly at locations hundreds of miles apart. More importantly you said in your own post that practical experience shows it’s not necessary. I would have thought that the theory combined with empirical evidence would constitute pretty good proof. I’m not trying to be antagonistic. I just don’t know what people would take as proof before the myth is put to bed.

To me, I can’t possible see how swinging the bird around figures out the difference between true and magnetic north (which is what changes when you move around the globe). If it had a gyrocompass it might. But it doesn’t. It could theoretically use the gps to determine where true north is but you’d need to be moving it in a straight line as far as my understanding of that works. But the simple matter to me seems to be that the just built the variation tables into the firmware.

To go into the theory of why rotating a magnetic compass in 3 dimensions actually determines errors would take pages.

I'll leave it that. Thanks

To go into the theory of why rotating a magnetic compass in 3 dimensions actually determines errors would take pages.

I'll leave it that. Thanks
Not variation. You are talking about deviation. I specifically said finding the difference between true and magnetic north. Not compass errors.

Not variation. You are talking about deviation. I specifically said finding the difference between true and magnetic north. Not compass errors.

This is why I will not continue this ... you can prod and press all you like. I am out of it .. its a subject that has no end. I've said my piece before and that's good enough.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT