Question about Gimbal....

Reaction score
Hey guys. Had the P4 Pro now for a few days. Its cold here in Canada but I have taken a few cool shots with it. The camera is a BIG improvement over my P3, and I compared it to some of my Inspire Pro shots and Im more then happy with the quality (I sold the X5 a while back)

Anyhow, just a quick question.....

I am a forgetfull boob. I will often be carrying around all my regular photo gear as well as my drone.

When I went to go fly my bird the other day I pulled it out, turned it on, and started setting up my remote. It was a minute before I realized I left my gimbal guard on. So I pulled it off and it did its roll around/calibration. It performed fine, and I didnt experience any weird issues.

My question is this. How bad is that for the gimbal?!? I assume that is 1 minute of the motor pushing against itself and creating a strain. I just worry/get paranoid about my 2000$ new toy and my impatience. Would that create long term damage or is it designed to not be a major issue?!?

Photo I shot is uploaded below! (no sun, but a blustery winter day in Sk, Canada) *I also downloaded it off my FB so it will be already overly compressed)=*

Attachments

• 15326212_10157686293260315_8802331293102130327_o.jpg
    15326212_10157686293260315_8802331293102130327_o.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 382
My question is this. How bad is that for the gimbal?
The gimbal should be fine. Many people have done this without damaging the gimbal.

Great shot. What temperature are you flying in? Bet it doesn't stay airborne for long.

Pegasus. This was shot in -12 conditions with a 30km/h wind. Essentially the worst conditions I would ever fly in. Bu tI wanted to test and see how it would hold up. In GPS mode it didnt want to fly back home agains tthe wind, but once I put it into ATTI mode it flew back like a champ. Considering the temperature, the wind, the cold, the battery was still alright and the drone help up good for the shots. I was pleased , and I think with firmware updates it will only get better.

Reactions: Lucaxel
I flew with the PolarPro gimbal clamp on once. I wondered why my screen was black and fumbled with the Man. and Auto settings trying to see something. When I spun it back around and it came back to me I saw it still in place - opps! Took it off, restarted craft, it did its gimbal cal. dance, and all was fine afterwards. That was two months ago too.

Reactions: gemini8026
Yeah, the gimbal motors are either not strong enough or are toque limited to prevent the kind of force that might be a problem. You have to figure DJI anticipated someone/everyone would leave the clamp on at some point.

As an aside, I had to return my first P4P because it would not complete the gimbal homing sequence reliably and would hand when tilting down then go back up and repeat without end. Looks like a ribbon cable is snagging on something and the force of the snagged ribbon cable is enough to stall the motor.

Brian

i hit an electric wire the other day....gimbal was all misaligned after the pretty hard hit on the top (tiny scratch on canopy and a scratch on two props)....after the hit it fell maybe 2 feet and regained altitude. i landed safely. Restarted the P4P and gimbal was again level and functioning and I see no errors that I can see....

Hey guys. Had the P4 Pro now for a few days. Its cold here in Canada but I have taken a few cool shots with it. The camera is a BIG improvement over my P3, and I compared it to some of my Inspire Pro shots and Im more then happy with the quality (I sold the X5 a while back)

Anyhow, just a quick question.....

I am a forgetfull boob. I will often be carrying around all my regular photo gear as well as my drone.

When I went to go fly my bird the other day I pulled it out, turned it on, and started setting up my remote. It was a minute before I realized I left my gimbal guard on. So I pulled it off and it did its roll around/calibration. It performed fine, and I didnt experience any weird issues.

My question is this. How bad is that for the gimbal?!? I assume that is 1 minute of the motor pushing against itself and creating a strain. I just worry/get paranoid about my 2000$ new toy and my impatience. Would that create long term damage or is it designed to not be a major issue?!?

Photo I shot is uploaded below! (no sun, but a blustery winter day in Sk, Canada) *I also downloaded it off my FB so it will be already overly compressed)=*
snow white's home? :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl