Putting solid lights on drone for photography?

Reaction score
Anyone know of a light or lights that are capable of using for painting objects with light from my P4P? I have looked at the 349 dollar Fillex Al 250. Looks like a good light but a little steep on the price. Have to rig a mount for it too. Which I figure I might have to do with any light I get except for the Lume Cubes and I'm hearing they are a little bit heavy and not as good a spread too.

20170225_184911.jpg

Anyone know of a light or lights that are capable of using for painting objects with light from my P4P? I have looked at the 349 dollar Fillex Al 250. Looks like a good light but a little steep on the price. Have to rig a mount for it too. Which I figure I might have to do with any light I get except for the Lume Cubes and I'm hearing they are a little bit heavy and not as good a spread too.
Hi i just use led small torchs,,very brite

KEvMo I can point you to a few professional photographers who are using LumeCube with great success. Just keep in mind you'll need to get your 107.29 Daylight Operation Waiver to do this type of work.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
KEvMo I can point you to a few professional photographers who are using LumeCube with great success. Just keep in mind you'll need to get your 107.29 Daylight Operation Waiver to do this type of work.
Would love to hear about the Lume Cubes. I have one already. But have not looked into mounting it yet. And I am still a hobbyist man. When I get the 107 that is the first waiver that I will be applying for btw. Not flying at night is a one of those dumb rules to me. LOL Thx so much for the response btw!

I've got the LumeCubes and honestly they are not all that bright. You need to raise the ISO a lot for video at night (which gives you noise), stay less than 15 feet away for a decent exposure, and expect they will illuminate a small circular area of the wide-angle lens coverage. The light is sort of purplish too so you might need to filter them with a Lee Zirconium LED filter pack taped over the face (#801 filter I think in the pack to balance towards 5200K). A couple of my mounts broke too, but they replaced those.

As it is, I don't use them other than using them to locate the drone easily in the dark. For that purpose they work well. To illuminate something properly you need to be pretty close in, expect noise in the blacks, and deal with vignetting too with the small circle of light (Like a flashlight on a night wall of a building 20 feet away.).

If you are familiar with a light meter, here's a sample I found. Meter shows ISO 100, 1/125 sec. @ f/11 and at only three inches away! Inverse square law anyone for a guide number?

LumeCube at Full Brightness.jpg

Would love to hear about the Lume Cubes. I have one already. But have not looked into mounting it yet. And I am still a hobbyist man. When I get the 107 that is the first waiver that I will be applying for btw. Not flying at night is a one of those dumb rules to me. LOL Thx so much for the response btw!

His name is Vic Moss and he's an amazing sUAS advocate. He has done so much to help us. He's one of the good guys.
Newest Work Moss Photography

I've got the LumeCubes and honestly they are not all that bright. You need to raise the ISO a lot for video at night (which gives you noise), stay less than 15 feet away for a decent exposure, and expect they will illuminate a small circular area of the wide-angle lens coverage. The light is sort of purplish too so you might need to filter them with a Lee Zirconium LED filter pack taped over the face (#801 filter I think in the pack to balance towards 5200K). A couple of my mounts broke too, but they replaced those.

As it is, I don't use them other than using them to locate the drone easily in the dark. For that purpose they work well. To illuminate something properly you need to be pretty close in, expect noise in the blacks, and deal with vignetting too with the small circle of light (Like a flashlight on a night wall of a building 20 feet away.).

If you are familiar with a light meter, here's a sample I found. Meter shows ISO 100, 1/125 sec. @ f/11 and at only three inches away! Inverse square law anyone for a guide number?

View attachment 77509
Appreciate the info for sure GMack! I am looking to paint with it so I can combine multiple images of diff highlighted area's on subjects. So it does not have to be mega bright because I'll be going over area as much as needed to get exposure right for that particular area. So I'm talking about shooting these with my DSLR and the drone is my light. Like this guy except not as rad as him obviously. LOL Fiilex LED Lights - Videos

His name is Vic Moss and he's an amazing sUAS advocate. He has done so much to help us. He's one of the good guys.
Newest Work Moss Photography
Thanks so much Big Al. I'll def check him out. Love the good guys! Update. Just checked out Vic Moss and wow! This guy is good. Love the architectural and interior stuff he shoots.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Appreciate the info for sure GMack! I am looking to paint with it so I can combine multiple images of diff highlighted area's on subjects. So it does not have to be mega bright because I'll be going over area as much as needed to get exposure right for that particular area. So I'm talking about shooting these with my DSLR and the drone is my light. Like this guy except not as rad as him obviously. LOL Fiilex LED Lights - Videos

I've seen the Fillex too and the three sliding lenses on them are nice touch. Spot to wide and may be brighter than the LumeCubes too. Don't forget the added weight of the things cuts you air time down by maybe half too. I can hear mine grunt to take off. The prop wash keeps them cool so they do not auto-shut off due to thermal matters on high power. They do get quite hot!

Thanks so much Big Al. I'll def check him out. Love the good guys! Update. Just checked out Vic Moss and wow! This guy is good. Love the architectural and interior stuff he shoots.

Yes Vic is the real deal. :)

How goin yeh they were just cheap led torchs cable tied on,vry light in weight ,,couple hours batt life,,hovers or flys like they not there,,cost $ 4:) ,,,,goodluck,,,,

How goin yeh they were just cheap led torchs cable tied on,vry light in weight ,,couple hours batt life,,hovers or flys like they not there,,cost $ 4:) ,,,,goodluck,,,,
What brand of lights or Led's are you referring to?

I personally think the LumeCubes are pretty darn bright on high. They make a special bracket to hold them on the P4/P4+ but they cubes themselfs are pretty heavy. Amazon sells the mounts in white, blue and black.
I contacted them directly and they said they use a better material now to make then as they were having issues of cracking and guaranteed they would replace any lumecube lost because of a cracked mount.
Amazon.com: Lume Cube Drone Mounts for DJI Phantom 4 (White): Camera & Photo

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl