PS3 4k vs its bigger brothers in practice

Reaction score
I am just about to buy PS3. The most important feature for me is a camera. I need a 4k camera on my drone. The new PS3 4k seems to fit the bill. I know the differences between PS3 models listed on the DJI site, but how is it in the real world?

Yesterday I found an info that Drone-World had stopped selling Standard model because:
1. It is sub-par technology;
2. No ultra quick GPS;
3. No ability to overcome interference from ordinary home routers operating on the 2.4 Ghz spectrum.
4. Fear that end users will experience twice the number of accidents with these new drones when compared to the capabilities found in the DJI Phantom 3 Professional.

Would anybody relate to this complaints? Is there any statistic/proof that Standard is more prone to accidents than its brothers? Does its GPS suck? What about interferences in 2.4 GHz spectrum?
I can live with shorter flight range and with the low-res video transmission as long as the drone itself behaves itself.

I am just about to buy PS3. The most important feature for me is a camera. I need a 4k camera on my drone. The new PS3 4k seems to fit the bill. I know the differences between PS3 models listed on the DJI site, but how is it in the real world?

Yesterday I found an info that Drone-World had stopped selling Standard model because:
2. No ultra quick GPS;
3. No ability to overcome interference from ordinary home routers operating on the 2.4 Ghz spectrum.
4. Fear that end users will experience twice the number of accidents with these new drones when compared to the capabilities found in the DJI Phantom 3 Professional.

Would anybody relate to this complaints? Is there any statistic/proof that Standard is more prone to accidents than its brothers? Does its GPS suck? What about interferences in 2.4 GHz spectrum?
I can live with shorter flight range and with the low-res video transmission as long as the drone itself behaves itself.
I'm really happy with my P3S, but I know many people have experienced range issues.

1. I guess that depends on how you look at it. I consider the P3S to be a newer version of the P2V, but If you compare it to the P3A/P3P it's definitely less advanced.
2. If you talk to a P3P owner, he might say the P3S is useless because it doesn't support Glonass. Personally I've never felt that the GPS has been slow. I've never had to wait more than a few seconds for the P3S to find enough satellites to update its home point and while flying it usually sees 10-12 sats.
3. I haven't done a lot of urban flying so I can't really relate to that, but I've had really choppy video downlink due to interference around cargo ships passing my home island. That is, however, when I'm circling around them while standing on my jetty 500-1000m away.
4. I don't think the P3S is more prone to accidents than the P3A/P3P, but as I mentioned there are a lot of reports of range issues.

Edit: I just realized you might have asked about the P3 4K. If so, don't mind my post. It's a bit confusing when you call it "PS3 4K"

Last edited:
Reactions: Tsyrawe
I have a P3S which is the same platform as the P3 4k, and this is my opinion, only, based on about 50 flights:

Meaning it doesn't have GLONASS, VPS, and Light Bridge. Other than that, it is the same bird, generally. But that is like saying the BMW 328i has sub par technology to the BMW 330i. Both are very good, one is just better.

2. No ultra quick GPS;
i believe the GPS is the same. The difference is addition of GLONASS. It does mean you can hover in something the size of a dinner plate, instead of something the size of a hula hoop. But my experience is mine syncs right up and is ready to fly pretty quick.

If you are going to be doing a lot of flying up and down your street, yeah this may actually be a limiting thing, but if you fly in open areas like I do, it really isn't and issue. (To be honest, when I first got it, I flew it down the middle of my street at tree-top level. Lot of house and lots of wifi, and had no signal issues at all. I just don't fly there anymore.)

There are all kinds of things wrong with this statement. First, it is speculative. It is a fear, not a fact. I fear the FAA is going to shut down all drone flying, but that does not make it true. Second, the advanced technology being there or not, does not preclude accidents, particularly those born of stupidity.

As for your range question, the P3S platform, in my experience, in the right environment, can fly over a mile UNMODIFIED.

So the question is, do you want a 328i or a 330i?

Had mine since October and the GPS is quick, range is good and I have flown at least 7 times right in the middle of my residential neighborhood and have not had interference issues. I have no reason to fly a mile + away so the standard was a good choice for me.

Reactions: BradD
I thought by FAA regulations you cant fly out of sight anyway.

That is true. Unfortunately for me, that gets closer and closer everyday, and WAY closer than the range on a P3S.

That is true. Unfortunately for me, that gets closer and closer everyday, and WAY closer than the range on a P3S.
That's what I was thinking. With all the talk about range extension, antenna mods and the like, and the cheapest drone dji makes can go farther than FAA regs. Go figure.

2. No ultra quick GPS;

I went to drone worlds site, and you are right. As a matter of fact, it looked as if they aren't selling the new standard 4K model either. I just wonder if its economically driven. With the price of a regular standard down to 499, and the new 4K at 799, it seems as if they are getting rid of the cheaper models, the ones they cant make a chunk on retail. I'll have to admit, I was a little p.o. when they dropped the price of the standard to 499. But if this trend continues, I'm glad I got a standard while they are available. DJI has a habit of making a good machine, ie the PV2plus obsolete when something new comes out, like the P3S. Oh well, lesson learned. I have had no problems with slow gps, I did have interference from cell towers or home gps, but that was in Kansas City, and as far as accidents are concerned, I think the fellas that fly clear out of site and start using their tablet to fly have us line of site guys beat, as far as crashes go anyways.

And btw, I'm thinking about getting another P3S, just as an extra while they're still available. I had to buy a new camera while mine was being fixed, and I paid 120$ less than what I could have gotten a whole new unit for.

FAA who?Screw them!I fly within site anyway because it is just common sense and I will never register my drone just like I will never register my guns.The United States government are the biggest enemy of the United States citizens........far worse then ISIS or any terrorist group.

Personally, I prefer pc gaming. But if you insist on consoles, go with an xbox one. If you insist on sony at least get a ps4 :p

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Personally I think Drone World just wants to sell the more expensive models. Both the P3S & P34K are this years models of the P2 Vision+ with substantial upgrades and excellent pricing. True they won't have the range of the Lightbridge-equipped P3 Advanced & Professional, but both are quite capable for aspiring pilots on a budget. The GPS lacks Glonass support but locks up far faster than a Vision+. Obviously you will have less range in an RF noisy environment than in an open area but that's just the way things are. My Vision+ gets 3500' or more in the hood. The only possible basis for statement #4 is they are expecting a younger & less experienced class of novice pilots due to the lower price tag. Other than that it is pure speculation on their part as there is nothing in a P3 Advanced or Pro that makes them inherently less prone to crashing in outdoor flight.

That being said & given the current pricing, here is my take:

* If you are on a total shoestring budget & $500 breaks the bank, get the P3S. You'll get 2000-3000' or more out of the box & down the road you can bump that up to a mile & a half or more for around $200.

* Given the choice of the P34K or P3 Advanced @ $799, choosing the Advanced is a no-brainer. Most folks won't be able to appreciate or utilize the 4K video vs 2.7K of the Advanced. Meanwhile the Advanced smokes the P34K @ 5x the range. Having 3-4 miles range in open territory is amazing. If you want an idea witness stock P3 Advanced range & take note when I turned around @ 3.5 miles it was NOT because I was out of range. It was only because the battery was advising me to come home:

2. No ultra quick GPS;

Last edited:
Reactions: Tsyrawe

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl